Love music

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Sitting here listening to Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell's United, and browsing through this forum on which I've spent far too much time(and know far too well), I felt compelled to make this thread.

About a year ago, I listened to Rock all the time, and while it was fun, I'm alot better off right now. I still pop in the old stuff every once in awhile, but every genre I listen to is in the minority, and it's best that way. I now love and enjoy music more than ever.

This isn't an effort to patronize anyone, it's an effort to help friends. I know that alot of you listen to close to nothing but Rock, and you are probably not aware of how much more you could be getting out of music. So please, try and look for some other things to listen to, you'll enjoy music and life more than ever before.

:)

I see where you're coming from. I was brought up listening to mainly rock, but I also remember my Dad putting on old Sam Cooke tapes. Just a few weeks ago, I downloaded some of the songs I remember from Sam Cooke, and I loved all of them.

A year ago, I would only listen to rock, but recently Ive started to open my mind to new genres, although getting into these genres can be difficult, because I'm unaware where to start.

I listen to pretty much everything, from every era. I just cant get into country. It's just too much redneck and twang for me. but everything else is cool. marvin gaye has gotten more people laid than the trojan man.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LISTEN TO HANK WILLIAMS III YOU'LL LOVE HIM. Topics he covers include pot, other drugs, women, honky tonks, honky tonk women, honky tonk fights, goin' straight to hell, more pot smoking, alimony, women, more women, more alimony, more drugs, more smoking, more drinkin', guns, motherfucking rednecks, more drinking, and goin' straight to hell.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&s...rlamqj5uojaa~T2

http://www.last.fm/music/Hank+Williams+III

AND he calls himself a hellbilly.

Edited by adnan

I listen to pretty much everything, from every era. I just cant get into country. It's just too much redneck and twang for me. but everything else is cool. marvin gaye has gotten more people laid than the trojan man.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LISTEN TO HANK WILLIAMS III YOU'LL LOVE HIM. Topics he covers include pot, other drugs, women, honky tonks, honky tonk women, honky tonk fights, goin' straight to hell, more pot smoking, alimony, women, more women, more alimony, more drugs, more smoking, more drinkin', guns, motherfucking rednecks, more drinking, and goin' straight to hell.

Hank the 3rd is an exception. I saw him live, in morgantown WV, and had a few drinks with him. He is the fuckn man.

Hank the 3rd is an exception. I saw him live, in morgantown WV, and had a few drinks with him. He is the fuckn man.

I saw your post in the other thread.

My tastes are pretty eclectic. There isn't any genre of music that doesn't have some really great artists, although sometimes you really have to dig for it. At the moment I'm listening to Hank Williams and before that it was some Wes Montgomery. As a musician I find that the best thing you can do to imrove your playing and writing skills is to listen to all styles of music even if you don't play that type of music. As people get older they tend to become more closed- minded. I make it a point to seek out new music and recover hidden treasures. I have broader tastes at this point than I ever had before and I don't see any reason not to continue my journey. Think about when you were a young child that refused to even try certain foods and when you finally do try them you realize that there really very good and you had been missing out all these years.

Depends what you classify as rock music. I listen to a ton of music aside from hard rock and metal, but I always come back to it for a reawakening in a sense. It's hard to explain.

Hell, I've just become interested in my first country group. I never thought I'd enjoy country at all. It's strange how far your musical tastes take off on word of mouth.

3 words for you

Mother Love Bone

aren't they pearl jam before eddie vedder? how is that non rock?

NO! They were a completely different band, they had a fantastic front man named Andrew Wood who died of a drug overdose in 1990, they only released on album (apple) and all their songs are Elton Johnesqu love ballads. They had Pearl jam Bassists Jeff Ament and Rhythm Guitarist Stone Gossard. It was typically, love music.

i totally totally totally TOTALLY agree with you. Listen to 4'33 by John Cage for alternative music. Or maybe John and Yoko's Two Virgins. i totally agree though, and i've been thinkin along those lines since ages. oh, and listen to Can!! maybe Kraftwerk although i think they suck :lol:

I'm a big fan of the Pogues, band that made traditional Irish folk songs, simply awesome.

OH! i fuckin hate the Pogues, Shane McGowan is such a phoney. pretty good in the movies straight to hell though.

Phony in what aspect?

phoney in the band wagon jumping faux 70s brit punk johnny-come-lately respect. exaggerated attempts at art with an affected working class british accent.