alternative tuning

ok been tryna play lithium and come as you are lately and on the dvd thingie it says it has "alternative tuning" now i use a guitar tuner cuz i can't do that shit by ear. does this mean basically that i can't play those songs until i figure how to tune by ear? thats fucked up cuz...i been playin three months now and i can't tune by fuckin ear. can you do alternative tunings using a tuner?

You don't necessarily have to learn how to tune by ear if you know what tuning the song is in.

Come As You Are is in Dropped-D. For that tuning, you take the low E string, and tune it down one whole step to a D. All the other strings are left the same.

DADGBE

You don't necessarily have to learn how to tune by ear if you know what tuning the song is in.

Come As You Are is in Dropped-D. For that tuning, you take the low E string, and tune it down one whole step to a D. All the other strings are left the same.

DADGBE

oh, cool, thank you :) coulda sworn the DVD said somethin else but i might be thinkin about one of the other songs. but yeah, dropped D, it did say that shit, thank you :):)

come as u are is not in dropped D....

it's in standard tuning...

To make it easy for u..if u don't have a tuner, fine a chord that sustains over a few bars..and tune a string to that...

for instance...

In Welcome to the Jungle....slash starts on the open B string...tune that string to the Bb slash uses...then tune all other strings around it

Lithium is 2 steps down: DGCFAD

To make it easy for u..if u don't have a tuner, fine a chord that sustains over a few bars..and tune a string to that...

for instance...

In Welcome to the Jungle....slash starts on the open B string...tune that string to the Bb slash uses...then tune all other strings around it

on the dvd thing, it says that come as you are is 1 step down??? :question: up until now i been playin it in standard but it dont sound right but then again, its grunge, its not meant to sound right, it suits skrunky and horrible.

Edited by frankwhite

grunge is still meant to sound right...

it's notes and melody and scales just like any other music...

The CD version on Nevermind is DGCFAD which is, all strings, 2-half steps down (ie. a whole step)

And the chords would be (visualize standard tuning):

E5-G#5-C#5-A5-C5-D5-B5-D5 (not actual pitch names, but correct chord placement)

for instance...

on the dvd thing, it says that come as you are is 1 step down??? :question: up until now i been playin it in standard but it dont sound right but then again, its grunge, its not meant to sound right, it suits skrunky and horrible.

Tune it down one step, means just tune it a fret lower than normal really

for instance...

but if u can't tune by ear your fucked. the tuner i got just tunes to standard (i think) so how the fuck do i tune to an f?

for instance...

no no no....what i should have said was

tuning down is referred to in ways like:

-Tune 1/2 a step down means: Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb

-Tune a full step/whole step down: is DGCFAD

Edited by zepsun

for instance...

but if u can't tune by ear your fucked. the tuner i got just tunes to standard (i think) so how the fuck do i tune to an f?

stick a capo on the first fret and tune to the standard EADGBE, when you take the capo off, you'll be tuned down by half step

for instance...

stick a capo on the first fret and tune to the standard EADGBE, when you take the capo off, you'll be tuned down by half step

really???????? is that true???????

for instance...

Yes

for instance...

Yes

cool :) well that simplifies it, thanx man ;)

it will work as long as ur guitar is not too cheap..

sometimes doing this, will mean ur strings will be slightly less in tune with each other once u remove the capo.

But if ur guitar is decent, u shuldn't have a problem...u can at least do it, and then fine tune the strings once u remove the capo

it will work as long as ur guitar is not too cheap..

sometimes doing this, will mean ur strings will be slightly less in tune with each other once u remove the capo.

But if ur guitar is decent, u shuldn't have a problem...u can at least do it, and then fine tune the strings once u remove the capo

It actually depends more on the intonation of the guitar. Granted, an expensive guitar will have a better stock setup than a cheap guitar, but it's still possible for a good guitar to be out of tune when using the capo to tune. But whether the guitar is cheap or expensive, it will go in tune well if the intonation is correct.