Technique vs. Emotion in musicians

bax

There are always little squabbles going on here over which guitarist, singer,etc. is "best." Clearly that is a subjective issue, but I wonder what most of you think. Which is more important when judging a musician's abilities? I'm not saying that the 2 are mutually exclusive, but it seems like some people always pick the technically "better" musicians over those that may not be virtuosos but are able to convey deeper emotions in their playing. I think it's a topic that needs to be discussed.

Depends what you mean by 'emotion'...someone who is shithouse can just slam the strings and have 'emotion', it's still gonna sound like shit though.

A healthy mix of both is always nice.

I know what you mean-I wasn't refering to certain players who shall remain nameless that may have attained legendary status despite an inability to play. I tend to agree that a mix of both is best-the more technical ability a musician has the greater the ability to express a fuller range of emotions. I just don't care for some of the so-called shredding guitarists who sound as if they are just trying to play as flashy as possible but can't write a decent tune to save their ass.

Technique easily.

And any great muscian who uses a great technique should be able to get emotion across. So..

Malmsteem or whatever can't and he's technical as hell. The only really technical guy that I can think of that can make his guitar wail is Satch. In "If I could Fly" it sounds like the guitar is freakin singing. I say a mix of both. But look at B.B. King and Freddie King. They weren't technical but they could make you cry, b.

Edited by swlabr

Emotion. Still, it depends on what kind of emotion you want to feel. Technique can be learned, but emotion can't. If emotion is manufactured or sounds like it is out of place, it is a mess, and you're just left with technique. Don't get me wrong, technique is definitely is great for songcraft, but emotion is what you remember.

Its hard to say which is more important, cuz I can make cases for both. Herman Li is probably one of the best technical guitar players, but I dont think I can say he is necessarily better than David Gilmour, who I think has the best emotion in his guitar work. Both are great a what they do, but I think it takes a little of both to be the best. I really like some stuff by Eric Johnson like Cliffs of Dover. This song is technical and full of emotion. Great song, check it out if you dont know it, most probably do.

Its hard to say which is more important, cuz I can make cases for both. Herman Li is probably one of the best technical guitar players, but I dont think I can say he is necessarily better than David Gilmour, who I think has the best emotion in his guitar work. Both are great a what they do, but I think it takes a little of both to be the best. I really like some stuff by Eric Johnson like Cliffs of Dover. This song is technical and full of emotion. Great song, check it out if you dont know it, most probably do.

i saw eric johnson live last year with satriani and petrucci in the g3 they were sick rock3 and yeah i agree with you