Has Zeitgeist leaked yet?

bsubronco2003

Just finished listening, imo the cd is pretty meh, has some decent songs, the rest are just meh.

Good songs

Tarantula

Doomsday clock

United States

Bleeding the orchids

Bring the light

For god and country

Doomsday Clock

Chamberlain's drumming is perfect as usual. The song is composed of an aggressive instrumental, but the chorus is a little weak for Corgan. His vocals are somewhat grating when he tries to hit the higher notes, but this is an excellent way to start the album..

7 Shades of Black

An interesting song in which they experiment with different tempo changes and harmonizations. In some ways, it sounds like a hybrid of Mellon Collie and Adore. Most listeners will probably dislike this song, but give it a chance and it might grow on you..

Bleeding the Orchid

The first truly memorable song on the album that successfully manages to fuse dream-pop elements with The Smashing Pumpkins' classic alternative sound. Musically, it is very reminiscent of their earlier material. Fans will enjoy this one..

That's The Way (My Love Is)

This song offers an immediate change of pace. Corgan has always been gifted at crafting soaring anthemic music driven by pivotal vocal melodies, pounding drums, a haze of guitars and electronica blips. This song is no exception. Everything is deeply romantic, sweeping you up into a whirlwind that only lets you go when the final guitar has ceased to ring..

Tarantula

Corgan's trademark guitar-heavy sound completely dominates this song, and he plays with several unorthodox time signatures. It creates a very schizophrenic sound that works well. I would venture to say this is the strongest rocker on the album. Wise decision making it the lead single..

Starz

A celebatory pop song with an infectious uptempo groove. Easily the most accessible song for mainstream listeners, but not one of my favorites..

United States

A mesmerizing cloak of blue cheer and Black Sabbath-esque riffage. This song is emblematic of the whole album's pretentious and self-indulgent concept. It's extremely ambient and politically driven. An effective return to classic 70's metal..

Neverlost

Things slow down again, and Corgan provides a hallucinatory soundscape that is strengthened by Chamberlain's eclectic beat. Nothing particular memorable, but an intriguing addition to the album nonetheless..

Bring The Light

A sumptuous textured pop gem. The clean distortion on the guitars remind me of Today. The song builds in intensity, exploding into a well executed guitar solo. My only complaint is that Chamberlain's drum fills are somewhat repetitive..

(Come On) Let's Go!

The gritty guitar and gripping rock riff can't save this from being the weakest addition on the album..

For God And Country

I really enjoyed the bare bones acoustic version they've been performing at recent gigs. Unfortunately, the studio version is overproduced and loses much of its impact beneath the unnecessary synth passages. With all its flaws, the song has poignant lyrics..

Pomp And Circumstances

A reflective piece on an album chalked full of socio-political rage. Perhaps Corgan's best guitar work. He takes direct influence from Brian May and conjures up a vibrant solo. It's definitely a slow drifting, atmospheric work. In many ways, it reminds me of The Beatles..

Overall, this is a strong effort that is going to be unfairly scrutinized due to the original Smashing Pumpkins reputation. To be fair, it was Corgan's incessant desire to use the SP name that forced him to withstand this double-edged sword. It would have been wise to release this under a different band name or as a solo project because the material has some exceptional moments. Personally, I don't believe this album will have a lasting impression similar to Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, but there's much to enjoy. If anything, I was extremely disappointed with the mixing. At times, it felt like the vocals were processed and stretched too far from the music. It created this sterile sound that was particularly evident on Doomsday Clock..

7/10

-Kickingthehabit