Lennon or McCartney

DCGNR

Comparing their writing on the Beatles songs is difficult, because they both admitted that it was pretty even as far as the composition goes, but which of these two pretty amazing musicians do you prefer? They both have a lot of solo stuff to compare at least, though Lennon did'nt get the chance to continue into the 80's and 90's

Though I like a lot of McCartney's songs, I definitely favor Lennon and I've always loved his voice more than Paul's.

You?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neither, they are sides of the same coin, head to tails, yin to yang black to white hotdog to mustard. love them both :) they're brilliant on their own but theres a lost quality in their solo stuff that seems to just be begging for the others input. its the saddest thing what circumstance can do. suffice to say for a while at least, we were blessed with incomporable genius.

i think its a case of Pauls whimsy is really cool in the context of the beatles because it adds light to Lennons seriousness. when seperated, seriousness can stand on it own, but whimsy starts to sound....flimsy to some. i dont agree, i love Pauls carefree rolling, always have, its something i identify with to a great degree. people think lennon was so much this like headstrong artist type but for all of that, if you read up really, he was really, comparitively, a bit of a johnny-come-lately in that scene compared to Paul. its just Paul, in his sensibleness, took it for what it was worth (in terms of everything, a dilletante if you will) where as John, in a kind of stubborn innocence kind of went headlong into things full steam ahead.

I prefer John Lennon over Paul McCartney as a musician- the two musically together complemented each other but seperately I would have to say Lennon is the better musician; the success he had in his solo career just supports that.

i dont know if you knew this or not but Paul was more successful as a solo artist or with Wings if you will.

I prefer John Lennon over Paul McCartney as a musician- the two musically together complemented each other but seperately I would have to say Lennon is the better musician; the success he had in his solo career just supports that.

i dont know if you knew this or not but Paul was more successful as a solo artist or with Wings if you will.

Actually no I did not know that- in that case I just prefer the product of John Lennon's solo career; musically and influentially.

I competely agree with your last post though regarding their different takes as musician.

Edited by Justagroupie

They both definately did their best stuff while workin in the beatles. U cant have one without the other. As far as their solo stuff, i loved pauls first solo album, mcartney, thats awsome, but lennons got the edge in the solo department. Paul wote great songs, but he never wrote anything like working class hero or women is the black person of the world.

EDIT: black person of the world? lol. That actually sounds racist, where as the actual title of the song doesnt.

Edited by Midnight Rambler

The only song I can think of that I don't like where Lennon sings is Within you Without You, but that was more of a Harrison song. Lennon without a doubt, his music really speaks to me where as McCartney's is mostly shallow love songs to nobody

They both definately did their best stuff while workin in the beatles. U cant have one without the other. As far as their solo stuff, i loved pauls first solo album, mcartney, thats awsome, but lennons got the edge in the solo department. Paul wote great songs, but he never wrote anything like working class hero or women is the black person of the world.

EDIT: black person of the world? lol. That actually sounds racist, where as the actual title of the song doesnt.

who'd you think wrote blackbird and what do you think its about? and blackbird is actually a better song both melodically and lyrically in my opinion. Woman Is The...is cool too but it kind of bashes you over the head with its lyrics where as Blackbird is very subtle.

did you just use the word nig ga whiteboy??? thats it, we're taking this shit outside!!! we'll take a michael jackson album with us, to REALLY confuse the issue :lol:

Edited by ffrankwhite

There's no argument when you consider Lennon's solo material. Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, and Double Fantasy are three of the most important albums of all time. He is arguably the most prolific singer/songwriter of the 20th Century. I would venture to say his poetic sophistication is only matched by Bob Dylan..

-Kickingthehabit