Least talented GnR Member?

Cosmo

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What I look for in songwriters are people who aren't afraid to be adventurous and think outside the box, try to create something that nobody else has ever tried to create.

So what made Slash so special to you? He never did anything new, never adventured and think outside the box and whatever. He simply followed Jimmy Page's and Joe Perry's books and that's pretty much it.

Well, I never said I thought Slash was a great song writer. He isn't. He's a great guitar player who works phenomenally well with good songwriters, and that's about it.

But please, just because you play safely within the rock n roll boundaries doesn't mean you can't write guitar parts that aren't unique to your own personal style, and that's what is special to me about Slash. He has a distinct sound that you can't mistake, when you hear a Slash riff or guitar solo you know exactly who it is. DJ Ashba might as well play guitar for Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, Seether, Buckcherry, and Stained, there's no distinction in his sound whatsoever, it just sounds like everything else on the radio; dry and inspired by the chance to get played on the radio.

Even though he's a master at the pentatonic scale like Perry and Page, YOU KNOW it isn't either of those guys when Slash is playing, unless you're a tone def dumbass.

Can't believe I need to explain that to somebody on a Guns N' Roses fan forum, what a joke.

Edited by sweetness

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe I need to explain that to somebody on a Guns N' Roses fan forum, what a joke.

You said something that Slash (or even Axl!) wasn't so I was curious.

I disagree, Axl is a very talented songwriter and while he doesn't push boundaries so to speak he does create very original and fresh sounding material. When I first heard Catcher in The Rye I thought "damn, that's a very traditional rock song but the ideas sound completely original", because unlike DJ's work with Sixx AM it isn't catering to an audience, it actually sounds like a genuinely inspired song and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.

I disagree, Axl is a very talented songwriter and while he doesn't push boundaries so to speak he does create very original and fresh sounding material. When I first heard Catcher in The Rye I thought "damn, that's a very traditional rock song but the ideas sound completely original", because unlike DJ's work with Sixx AM it isn't catering to an audience, it actually sounds like a genuinely inspired song and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.

As different as his songs sound sometimes, they're not really original/inventive songs. I mean, they're still mainly Hard Rock songs with several influences... he doesn't go to unusual ways to create music. There are some great compositions in the GNR catalog, and like you said, it's all that matters to people, but as musicians I don't think they ever pushed anybody or rock in general.

As different as his songs sound sometimes, they're not really original/inventive songs. I mean, they're still mainly Hard Rock songs with several influences... he doesn't go to unusual ways to create music. There are some great compositions in the GNR catalog, and like you said, it's all that matters to people, but as musicians I don't think they ever pushed anybody or rock in general.

Absolutely, but I'm talking within the general realm of rock n roll here. There's guys like Axl who make an effort to write creative memorable rock songs and then there's tools like DJ Ashba who write mid grade run of the mill shit you forget about after x amount of time, which is my original point. I wouldn't expect or want Axl to be writing post avant jazzcore or anything like that, that's never what I loved Guns N' Roses for. Still cracks me up to see people talk about Chinese Democracy in that sense though

Absolutely, but I'm talking within the general realm of rock n roll here. There's guys like Axl who make an effort to write creative memorable rock songs and then there's tools like DJ Ashba who write mid grade run of the mill shit you forget about after x amount of time, which is my original point

And this is why I want Axl (and the other guys) to work a lot on Ashba songs (if there are any) since I don't want GNR to turn into fkn' Motley Crue.

I don't know how anyone can say Adler his drumming was a key component of AFD even Izzy mentioned how important Steven was to GNR's sound. And many of the illusions song's too worked on by Adler

His contribution to the band doesn't pertain to the topic at hand at all though. I don't have any doubt in my mind that Adler was a key component in the sound of Appetite, but in a strictly technical sense, he is the least proficient drummer GN'R has ever had.

For current member I voted Tommy. Love the guy, he's the perfect bassist for the current band and he's got a killer stage presence, but he just doesn't have the chops that the rest of the guys do.

Tommy is great on stage and does justice to the old songs but you need good speakers and to adjust sound settings to hear his bass.

I can't believe Chris has so many votes as "least talented". Chris is a major contributor to this band and Chinses Democracy. Not to mention all the other bands and artists he has worked with/created.

I can't believe Chris has so many votes as "least talented". Chris is a major contributor to this band and Chinses Democracy. Not to mention all the other bands and artists he has worked with/created.

He co-wrote If The World and Madagascar. But he seems rather useless live when it comes to be older songs. He'd be doing Buckethead's parts if werent for Bumblefoot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whoever voted Buckethead should be killed. By his dolls that is. Seriously...who voted him doesnt have a clue. Same for who voted Axl.

Well all he can do is tap and shred, he's got no "soul".

Even then he aint as fast as Malmsteen and as technical as Govan therefore he sucks soooo much! What a souless and useless shredder!

• 1 month later...

dizzy reed is the least talented without any kind of doubt.

he's been kissing axl's ass for more than 20 years, but musically he didn't bring anything

pitman brought things, reed didn't

yes, those who voted adler are idiots

afd wouldn't be afd without adler's groovy beatz