how would chinese democracy have been different if axl had his current lineup back then?

HisRoyalSweetness

how do you think chinese democracy would have been different if axl had his current line-up back in 1999, or whenever they started writing and recording the record? how would the music have been different? how would the release and reception have been different? would the band have stuck together better?

i know there's a group of people on here who see the 2k2 line-up as having this massive unexploited potential. they never struck me that way. in fact, that line-up seemed like a folly of hilarious proportions. destined to fail spectacularly. considering the "band's" musical inspirations and creative voices and personalities, it was never surprise that the 2K2 line-up failed to deliver the goods with gnr's name and broke-up before they ever even got started.

but i do think he'd have had a much better chance at writing some more successful, more "gnr" music with the current line-up. if you gotta have a shredder in your band, i'd pick bbf over bucket, mainly because of image but also because of personal temperament and commitment to axl's vision. no fucking question about fortus being cooler than paul "turd bucket" tobias. and ashba (corniness notwithstanding) is a million times better for gnr than robin "tune-your-guitar" finck. both in image and creative voice. in fact, ashba's so up gnr's alley that there's no way axl would have even wanted a hard rock cheeseball like that in his band at the time. ashba was releasing stuff like "addicted to the friction" at the same time axl was aspiring to write faux-highbrow garbage like "this i love."

i think the new band is more of a band. that's obvious from the fact that they've actually stayed together for more than a few shows. but also, i feel like the new new band is on more of the same page, creatively and musically. and i think guys like bbf, fortus and certainly ashba could have provided some musical balance for axl's considerably high-minded, somber, self-important lyrical themes. whether or not they'd have made a "better" album is up for debate. but i think they would have made a more "gnr" album. and that would have probably done better commercially.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

I think the album we got was the one Axl wanted :devilshades: ; still for the sake of going along here i think the album would have been better. Simply because Axl gets along with this current line-up but as far as technical abilities and the look(aside from a bucket on some dudes head) both bands are pretty much on par

OP makes a few good points, but at the end of the day I don't give a shit if it sounds "like GNR" or not. It isn't GNR and I don't want it to sound like GNR. It's Axl Rose doing what he wants to do (which unfortunately at the moment is nothing). An album by the current guys probably would have been more commercially successful, but I doubt I'd like it.

Edited by bacardimayne

Not as good. Biggest highlights of CD for me are Buckethead and Finck's leads, replace those with Ron and Ashba and :vomit:

Also, Brain >>>>> Frank

Exactly! What he said :thumbsup:

For the record: Finck's solo on "This I Love" is the most beautiful guitar solo ever in my book. I honestly can't take anyone serious who talks crap about that song. :shrugs:

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I think even less people would have cared.

How so? It's not as if Buckethead and Finch brought a whole new and big fan base with them when they joined the band.