The RPG Thread.

bran

I started up Final Fantasy VIII and dropped it within an hour. That junctioning system is absolutely awful, jesus christ. Then they threw an awful boss at me at the top of that building, then I had to keep running from some robot and oh my god it was terrible.

I tried redoing FFVII a few months ago..... made it about 45 minutes into the game before I got bored. Overrated game IMO. Never played VIII.

I started up Final Fantasy VIII and dropped it within an hour. That junctioning system is absolutely awful, jesus christ. Then they threw an awful boss at me at the top of that building, then I had to keep running from some robot and oh my god it was terrible.

I tried redoing FFVII a few months ago..... made it about 45 minutes into the game before I got bored. Overrated game IMO. Never played VIII.

I liked VII a lot when I played it a while back. Most of these games don't pick up until a few hours in, though.

I'll probably get The Witcher 3 when it comes out for PS4, is it going to matter that I've never played any of the previous titles story wise?

I'm not sure, if I had to guess they are anticipating a decent amount of new players to the series, so my guess is you'll probably be fine in that there will be some minimal story catch up + the fact that this game isn't really directly related to the main plots of first two. There are side plots that will culminate in W3... it looks a few of the side plots becomes part of the main plot.

from what i read the developers said its a self contained story but there is stuff in there for people who played the other games and read the books. the wild hunt is something that has been running through the series since the first game and its a plot line that really gets going throughout the second game. the end of the second game definitely seems to setup the next game but i think it will be done in a way where new players will be able to get into it without much trouble, the only trouble will come with names and locations and all that but you can read through books and codex's to get caught up on all that.

as for turn based jrpg's has anyone checked out edge of eternity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkLPXU9xUAc

there is a demo you can download and play for free for pc, its quite good.

Haven't played the demo, but going by that video... it looks like a cheap rip off based on scrapped Final Fantasy ideas. Way too generic.

I miss a good rpg. There hasn't been a lot of great ones lately.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was excellent, overall but what else has come out recently or is on the horizon?

Witcher 3 looks unreal and Mass Effect 4 whenever that is, but what else?

Are you into turn based stuff? I know you asked for recent games, but there's one that came out awhile back called "Lost Odyssey" that you might enjoy if you haven't played already. It's been a long time but it was slightly under the radar if I remember right. It was an amazing game. I was hoping there'd be another installment by now but it looks like it's is going to be standalone for the foreseeable future. But the studio that made it also made one called "The Last Story" that's supposed to be good, and it ended up being localized with two other games not by the same company but apparently also really well done.

Not the most recent stuff but thought I'd throw some things you might not have heard of your way.

17 days til The Witcher 3. So excited :)

as for turn based jrpg's has anyone checked out edge of eternity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkLPXU9xUAc

there is a demo you can download and play for free for pc, its quite good.

Haven't played the demo, but going by that video... it looks like a cheap rip off based on scrapped Final Fantasy ideas. Way too generic.

it feels like final fantasy mixed with an open world western rpg.

• 8 months later...

bumping this

The Darkest Dungeon has officially been released. This game is good but man is it brutal, sacrificing party members for the group is a necessity. they have added new classes to the game as well as new mechanics(ie heart attacks) plus all new dungeons.

also 50 minutes of gameplay for the division has been released for the xbox one, the game looks like its a lot of fun sort of like destiny set in nyc with an actual story. its based on a simulated operation titled "operation dark winter" basically a pandemic breaks out in NYC during black friday, causing the collapse of the local government and the US government. your job is to try and get NYC back online as a member of the division, a form of special forces that is used to carrying out objectives without any kind of orders.

I've played a lot of The Darkest Dungeon, Bran, and you are right; it can be brutal. Nothing worse that a fight going swimmingly only for the enemy to land four crits in a row and virtually wipe half the party, or for a character to gain the "paranoid" trait and refuse healing when at Death's Door! :lol:

• Like 1

I've played a lot of The Darkest Dungeon, Bran, and you are right; it can be brutal. Nothing worse that a fight going swimmingly only for the enemy to land four crits in a row and virtually wipe half the party, or for a character to gain the "paranoid" trait and refuse healing when at Death's Door! :lol:

i had to sacrifice one of my high level knights to defeat a boss, that sucks :lol: now they can have heart attacks if stressed which if unlucky automatically puts your character a deaths door. the worst is the not accepting healing, or when you have someone get switched in order you were trying to protect. i one time had a character attack herself, landed a crit was put on deaths door just to get hit the next turn and die.

You missed our Witcher thread.... I think it's near 20 pages. Did you play III?

I sure did. I had a lot of fun with it until about 80% of the way through when I just wanted it to end. I don't think that it was the game itself so much as I have a habit of loving games and then just losing interest and not finishing (though I did finish it in the end, and saved Ciri). Fallout 4 is the same; had so much fun with it, stopped playing for a week and now can't abide the idea of going back and finishing it.

I have just started Dragon Age Inquisition, so hopefully this will break the cycle!

I sure did. I had a lot of fun with it until about 80% of the way through when I just wanted it to end. I don't think that it was the game itself so much as I have a habit of loving games and then just losing interest and not finishing (though I did finish it in the end, and saved Ciri). Fallout 4 is the same; had so much fun with it, stopped playing for a week and now can't abide the idea of going back and finishing it.

I have just started Dragon Age Inquisition, so hopefully this will break the cycle!

:lol: I started DA:I about two to three months ago, I'm at about 47 hours in (which I'd guess is somewhere around 80% progress, I'm expecting a 60 hour game with mostly completed side stuff and story),,,, and I have been for a few weeks - haven't loaded up the game in that amount of time. Got distracted by SW and had to replay KoToR, I'm about half way through that. Then the plan is finish DA:I, and do the two Witcher expansions.

I've started DA:I twice because I can't get used to the controls (I've played DA1 and DA2 a lot over the years). I wanted to play as a mage, but it just felt a bit...meh, so restarted as a dagger rogue, but looking at builds on YouTube it looks like I'll be clicking like mad twenty times a fight which will get boring after a while. A Rift Mage looks like fun, but still on the meh side. DA:I just feels so hack n slash compared to the first two in the series.

I've started DA:I twice because I can't get used to the controls (I've played DA1 and DA2 a lot over the years). I wanted to play as a mage, but it just felt a bit...meh, so restarted as a dagger rogue, but looking at builds on YouTube it looks like I'll be clicking like mad twenty times a fight which will get boring after a while. A Rift Mage looks like fun, but still on the meh side. DA:I just feels so hack n slash compared to the first two in the series.

I played them all as the regular warrior class. I do agree Inquisition is a bit of a click fest, but I think it's better than II. I think the story telling is really excellent, and every main plot/pseudo-main plot mission has been awesome. Inquisition brings a feel of epicness that I felt WIII was lacking. Still think Witcher was a better game, but it was dark, bleak, and cold. Inquisition is vibrant and warm. Damn Polish folklore.

Overall for me, it's Origins > Awakening > Inquisition > II.

its being reported the division graphics on pc blow away the console's, supposedly their hasnt been this big of a difference in a long time. i'm in the beta so i will be able to see if that is true or not :lol:

as for romance options, i went with cassandra, she is kind of a nerdy dork under that tough exterior.

Edited by bran

its being reported the division graphics on pc blow away the console's, supposedly their hasnt been this big of a difference in a long time. i'm in the beta so i will be able to see if that is true or not :lol:

as for romance options, i went with cassandra, she is kind of a nerdy dork under that tough exterior.

I might just shove it up Dorian and call it a day.

Anyway, I restarted...AGAIN! I think I'll stick with being a Rift Mage. Probably.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2016 at 4:26 PM, LightningBolt said:

Fire Emblem comes out today. :)

Didn't Fates come out last year? Or did the English version not come out until now?

Anyway, I'm a huge FE fan. FE and Golden Sun are my two favorite game series's. I've only played FE 6, 7, and 8 though, the GBA games. I briefly played 4 or 5, but I missed the mechanics of the GBA ones. Are any after Sacred Stones worth playing?

Also, for no clear reason after I finished KoToR I bought Oblivion and I'm now ~20 hours into it.... still gotta finish Inquisition and do Heart of Stone. :lol:

Edited by OmarBradley

19 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Didn't Fates come out last year? Or did the English version not come out until now?

Anyway, I'm a huge FE fan. FE and Golden Sun are my two favorite game series's. I've only played FE 6, 7, and 8 though, the GBA games. I briefly played 4 or 5, but I missed the mechanics of the GBA ones. Are any after Sacred Stones worth playing?

Also, for no clear reason after I finished KoToR I bought Oblivion and I'm now ~20 hours into it.... still gotta finish Inquisition and do Heart of Stone. :lol:

I think the Gamecube and Wii ones are worth playing (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn). Awakening on the 3DS is really good, too. There are two DS ones that I've heard mixed things about. I don't know if both of them were localized, though.