The RPG Thread.

bran

Second one so far is a vast improvement over the first, though I expected it. Visually things are a lot better, and combat is a lot more interesting. Don't like the new arm wrestling game, couldn't figure out how to do it :lol:. I'm towards the end of the prologue, escaping from the dungeon now. Interestingly, the game let me load my Witcher I save file, this meant I started out with Ravens Armor, Gwalhir, and Aerodnight; though they were taken away when I was imprisoned.... really hope I get them back before meeting up with Vernon.

Second one so far is a vast improvement over the first, though I expected it. Visually things are a lot better, and combat is a lot more interesting. Don't like the new arm wrestling game, couldn't figure out how to do it :lol:. I'm towards the end of the prologue, escaping from the dungeon now. Interestingly, the game let me load my Witcher I save file, this meant I started out with Ravens Armor, Gwalhir, and Aerodnight; though they were taken away when I was imprisoned.... really hope I get them back before meeting up with Vernon.

yeah you get your stuff back. the best part of witcher 2 is the side quests actually matter and have stories to them, which by all accounts is the same as the witcher 3. you have to play the witcher twice to get the whole experience, you go to entirely different places and get entirely different quests depending on decisions.

yeah you get your stuff back. the best part of witcher 2 is the side quests actually matter and have stories to them, which by all accounts is the same as the witcher 3. you have to play the witcher twice to get the whole experience, you go to entirely different places and get entirely different quests depending on decisions.

Yeah I got the stuff back.... quickly realized it wasn't really that much better than what I could craft in Flotsam... already crafted a better steel sword. Just exploring the surrounding forest now. The one thing I didn't love about the first game was the linearity of the places you visit.... it wasn't really an "open" world, more of a series of large areas. I think I'm seeing the same in this game, but the graphics/mechanics/combat upgrades are plenty enough to make me shrug off any issues I'd have with the openness of the world.

• Like 1

Really enjoying II so far, a few minor annoyances (like it not telling you what item you get when someone gives you a quest reward item, few other minor things), but I just realized.... why is there such a power vacuum in Vizima after Foltest dies? Shouldn't Adda just become queen?

EDIT: Also when I saw the main cinematic trailer.... and heard the emperor speaking... nearly did a back flip.

Edited by OmarBradley

Really enjoying II so far. I'm on Chapter 2, sided with Iorveth. Combat is a bit harder than the first game, event though I'm playing on Normal mode :lol:. Crafting system is cool, I basically used no potions except swallow the first game..... with this one you definitely need more. The equipment system is also vastly improved. Everything game-mechanics wise is excellent - improves on Witcher I x10. Story's a bit easier to follow too, and the dialogue/characters are much better.

When this is done I may read the books, or some of them, though I know the games aren't cannon and aren't really related to the texts.

Finished .... shorter than expected, but there was a lot more content than the first game so I guess it evens out, 26 hours total, most side quests done. I still don't get why Temeria couldn't retain it's independence, there was no mention of Adda, and barely any mention of John Natalis. :shrugs:

Oh well, I guess Nilfgaard and the Hunt are going to be the main enemies/antagonists for III. I know it has something to do with Ciri, the one who took Yennefer and Geralt from the altercation in Rivia.... but there's been barely any mention of her in series other than that. Unless I missed something pretty significant. I know I missed some details by not siding with Roche, in a week or so I'll probably load a late Chapter 1 save and redo C2 and C3 to learn a bit more. Wondering how much (if at all) Witcher II save files will matter in Witcher III.

Also wondering about the gap in time between II and III, I know I and II wasn't long at all, a year or so. But Geralt looks to have aged at least 10 years from what we've seen of III.

Edited by OmarBradley

Finished .... shorter than expected, but there was a lot more content than the first game so I guess it evens out, 26 hours total, most side quests done. I still don't get why Temeria couldn't retain it's independence, there was no mention of Adda, and barely any mention of John Natalis. :shrugs:

Oh well, I guess Nilfgaard and the Hunt are going to be the main enemies/antagonists for III. I know it has something to do with Ciri, the one who took Yennefer and Geralt from the altercation in Rivia.... but there's been barely any mention of her in series other than that. Unless I missed something pretty significant. I know I missed some details by not siding with Roche, in a week or so I'll probably load a late Chapter 1 save and redo C2 and C3 to learn a bit more. Wondering how much (if at a; ;) Witcher II save files will matter in Witcher III.

Also wondering about the gap in time between II and III, I know I and II wasn't long at all, a year or so. But Geralt looks to have aged at least 10 years from what we've seen of III.

you really need to play the game twice to get the full perspective of the story, its almost a requirement of sorts. playing both sides and doing all the side quests helps in terms of content but yeah game 1 had more.

• 2 weeks later...

dusk in this game looks absolutely beautiful

Whatever happened to those other witchers who left Kaer Morhen at beginning of the first game, Vessemer and the others.

vesemir shows up in the new game and plays a key role if i remember right, eskel has been seen in some videos. it has been hinted that in the witcher 3 we might get to go back to some past witcher locations it has been talked about kaer morhen.

Whatever happened to those other witchers who left Kaer Morhen at beginning of the first game, Vessemer and the others.

vesemir shows up in the new game and plays a key role if i remember right, eskel has been seen in some videos. it has been hinted that in the witcher 3 we might get to go back to some past witcher locations it has been talked about kaer morhen.

Cool, yeah I thought that was Vesemir in the Killing Monsters trailer. Looked like Shani is in the game too I think. I was disappointed in Sigfried's small role in II. Would like to see Iorveth again too. And the sorceresses.

Cool, yeah I thought that was Vesemir in the Killing Monsters trailer. Looked like Shani is in the game too I think. I was disappointed in Sigfried's small role in II. Would like to see Iorveth again too. And the sorceresses.

yeah i think we will get some good surprises, this is geralt's personal game and its the last of his story arc so we will get some cool nostalgia stuff no doubt

yeah i think we will get some good surprises, this is geralt's personal game and its the last of his story arc so we will get some cool nostalgia stuff no doubt

Actually I'm realizing now that shot wasn't of Shani and Triss, it was Triss and Yennefer I think. Triss's hair has gotten progressively lighter throughout the series. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to avoid watching that 30 minute gameplay video from CD Projekt, but I caved last night and watched the first 15 minutes. Holy fucking shit this game is going to be amazing.

Random story thoughts:

The Witcher forum isn't confident that this game will reveal who the assassin was who attempted to kill Foltest the first time - I forget their argument, but they said it couldn't have been one of Letho's guys, they think it's an oversight and not going to be answered.

Also, I found it weird that Letho said that Yennefer tried to seduce Serit (or Auckes, dont remember), that doesn't fit well with the character/story to me - I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does lol.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

I've been trying to avoid watching that 30 minute gameplay video from CD Projekt, but I caved last night and watched the first 15 minutes. Holy fucking shit this game is going to be amazing.

Random story thoughts:

The Witcher forum isn't confident that this game will reveal who the assassin was who attempted to kill Foltest the first time - I forget their argument, but they said it couldn't have been one of Letho's guys, they think it's an oversight and not going to be answered.

Also, I found it weird that Letho said that Yennefer tried to seduce Serit (or Auckes, dont remember), that doesn't fit well with the character/story to me - I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does lol.

did you see the new info from gamestar?

Gameplay
There are 4 difficulties (easy, medium, hard and dark) which differ in the skill of the monsters you face. Hitpoints remain the same.
You can bargain for more money after finishing your monster contract through some sort of minigame.
The side quests are extremely well made with great writing and branching.
Potions are a necessity on higher difficulty levels. You only need to craft a potion once and you can refill it if you have enough alcohol present. Potions are upgradeable for stronger effects. Stronger potions will increase your toxicity more
Novigrad and No Man's Land are indeed one single map, much bigger than Skyrim. The isles of Skellige form the other big part of the game. Next to that, there are 5-6 other separated locations, including Kaer Morhen.
No enemy respawning or at the least not very frequently
Best items in the game must be crafted
They were very impressed with the story branching and how it is not always obvious. Correcting 'wrong' choices by saving/reloading will be very difficult if not impossible.
Contrary to BioWare games dialogue options are not good or bad, this you will have to figure out for yourselves.
They really liked the in-game card game Gwent, praising its design.
The game features two really big cities: Novigrad and Oxenfurt, both very lively.
The are of No Man's Land features 25 smaller towns, some of which are the size of Flotsam from The Witcher 2.
Geralt can rob people, although the system is too easy and feels a bit lacking.
Journalist (level 7) was one shotted by a wyvern (level 24). No level scaling.
Ciri sequences will be (in total) 5-10h and feel more like an action-adventure game than an RPG
Extra storage can be made by crafting saddle bags for your horse.
Many small details such as Roach stopping to eat apples from a basket
All equipped items are visible in-game on Geralt
Fist-fighting is back, this time no QTE
World never felt empty
Journalist didn't encounter any simple fetch quests
Technical
The HUD is fully customizable. Icons and quest markers on the map can also be deactivated. Audiovisual hints (e.g. people screaming for help) will be present if you wish to do so.
Journalist encountered no clone NPC's
Controller feels superior to keyboard+mouse.
The extremely annoying doors from The Witcher 2 are gone. Doors are now opened automatically, no button pressing. No loading times for entering buildings either.
Day 1 patch confirmed
Xbox One resolution will stay at 900p
Geralts beard will grow over time
Switching between controller and mouse (for menu's) is easy and fluid
Most impressive dynamic weather system in any game he has ever played
They encountered very few bugs, no crashes of freezes.
Ultra seems to have a big effect on the quality of vegetation and character models[
No slider for LOD
Visual gore more prominent than in The Witcher 2
only downside is the mouse and keyboard but i read where he said it was on par with the witcher 2 which wasnt bad, but the rest :drool:
Edited by bran
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently the two W3 expansions that were going to be coming out on release are going to cost $25, well that's for a general expansion "pass" I guess like BF's premium membership.

I thought I read that they were going to be free...... isn't the CDPR's whole shtick?

I'll probably still get it eventually, $25 for 30+ hours of gameplay (their words not mine) seems fair I guess? bran am I wrong to be surprised by this?

EDIT: Also, cool vid http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-behind-the-scenes-with-cha/2300-6424510/

Edited by OmarBradley

Playing through Skies of Arcadia for the first time, first of these turn-based RPGs I've ever played (unless you count KOTOR). Trying to get the hang of all the items and magic and turns and stuff, lot more to think about than in Half-Life :P

Playing through Skies of Arcadia for the first time, first of these turn-based RPGs I've ever played (unless you count KOTOR). Trying to get the hang of all the items and magic and turns and stuff, lot more to think about than in Half-Life :P

lol I love turn-based RPG's/JRPG's but they don't seem to be very popular here. I've always wanted to play Skies of Arcadia. It's got an extremely good reputation. I don't have a Dreamcast or Gamecube anymore though. What system are you playing it on?

lol I love turn-based RPG's/JRPG's but they don't seem to be very popular here. I've always wanted to play Skies of Arcadia. It's got an extremely good reputation. I don't have a Dreamcast or Gamecube anymore though. What system are you playing it on?

Dreamcast, even got some batteries for the VMU so I can play the VMU mini-game when I get to that stage :P

Get yourself a Dreamcast, man. First console I ever had, I still love it (I'm on about my 5th by now...).

Or you could just download the amazing Dolphin emulator and play the GameCube version on your PC/Mac if it's powerful enough: https://dolphin-emu.org

Seriously, it works better than emulators for older consoles like Dreamcast and PS2, amazing what the dev team has accomplished. Got a wired Xbox 360 controller off eBay to connect to my laptop.

I'll probably get The Witcher 3 when it comes out for PS4, is it going to matter that I've never played any of the previous titles story wise?

I'm not sure, if I had to guess they are anticipating a decent amount of new players to the series, so my guess is you'll probably be fine in that there will be some minimal story catch up + the fact that this game isn't really directly related to the main plots of first two. There are side plots that will culminate in W3... it looks a few of the side plots becomes part of the main plot.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

I miss a good rpg. There hasn't been a lot of great ones lately.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was excellent, overall but what else has come out recently or is on the horizon?

Witcher 3 looks unreal and Mass Effect 4 whenever that is, but what else?