Most OVERRATED guitar player

Battlehawk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who isn't overrated then? Who deserves all the worship and truly is the god of guitar? :) Personally, I don't think it matters if they're technical masters if they can't write an amazing song. Like I said in the Buckethead vs Finck thread, technical isn't all that matters when judging a musician.

Edited by Ant

Also this guy opened up for AC/DC one night,his name was like Invay Malnstien or something ,man did he suck!At the time(late 80s) all my friends were worshipping this dude,yuck!

Yngwie Malmsteen is one of the best guitar players of all time. Not the best, but definately one of the top. nowhere near "suck"

Edited by forcechangenow

i think too many people are basing their decisions on the techincal skill of the guitarist, as opposed to the melodies that the guitarist plays....for me, it's all about the melodies...i don't care if a guy can shred the guitar - if the melody blows, then it's not worth my time. slash has created some of the best (if not THE BEST) melodies in rock history...whether it be in his solos or just the riffs...same goes for angus young...neither of these men can possibly be overrated

Edited by blues rocker

OR

none of them are overrated

Haha, no shit! Slash, Angus Young, Clapton and Hendrix ain't exactly a great starter list of overrated guitar players. Man, oh man... :huh:

thats actually a great list of overrated guitar players

Any list of overrated guitar players with Hendrix on it sucks. Period.

Cobain is over rated. Sure he wrote some catchy stuff, and some cool stuff, but he recieves far praise than he was worth. Mostly i think this is because of the icon status he gained after his suicide. I quite like Nirvana, but to be honest I've been more than a little bored of them for the past 6/7 years.

A few people mention Tom Morello, I'm not sure, I think he's good, and has a very unique style, which obviously will divide opinions. I think he sounded better as part of RATM than Audioslave though. But I think Audioslave have more of a last appeal, while RATM could sound dated if you look past the debut.

Someone said Buckethead, wel he isn't that well known. And yes he makes funny noises with his guitar, but he can still play. But I guess that it is kinda scary when someone has the skill to play a lot of different styles?!

And Angus Young? Never! It's like he said:

"I sound great only with AC/DC"

AC/DC don't need to change, they are timeless. They never sold out: never. And how many bands can say that? He is a good player and doesn't need to start using effects or something like that, his own style is great and it totally fits the music that he plays.