Gibson or Fender

READ POST BEFORE VOTING!  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say i agree with the cost, Gibsons are very expensive

- more versatile

Strats and Teles have the better clean tones, especially on the neck pickups. And if you put a humbucker into the bridge position of a Stratocaster, you can get fatass rock tones (AC/DC, GN'R) like from a Les Paul. But you will NEVER make a Les Paul sound like a Stratocaster, no matter how much you modify it.

- don't need to be pampered

A guitar is an INSTRUMENT, not something you should be afraid to break if you only look at it. I've never seen cracked headstocks on a Fender. You can treat this guitar clean or mean - it will always be there for you.

- who cares about the look?

Gibsons look nicer with all the bindings, maple tops and gold hardware. But at the end of the day, SOUND is what really matters. What was good enough for Hendrix is good enough for ANY guitarist. Slash recorded parts of AFD on a Strat, Page recorded the entire first Zep album with a Tele. What other proof do you need for that a Fender can sound just as cool and rock just as hard as a Gibson?

Versatility? Better cleaner tones? oh cmon, you can get a lighter sound from a les paul just by puttin a push pull pot and getting it some burst bucker pros and thats all the guitar you'll ever need, correction a Strat will never sound like a Les Paul, they don't have as much sustain or gain, and theylle never get the heavy tone the maple top gives the LP, it not about looks but if it looks better and sounds also better, thats a bargain, btw, JP recorded most of his albums with his original Les Paul One wich he sold for 600 bucks, and the New Custom Authentic is a copy of that one. Hendrix is the greatest guitarists of all times and everytime i hear little wing it gives me chills but just because he used a strat it doesnt mean that its the best guitar ever.

And all the Gibsons ive ever seen have outlived their owners, even if u treatem bad, which will just givem a murphy aged look, but they never crack because of the solid ply of hard maple on top of the guitar, but fenders, are so light and their wood is very sensitive, one drop and the guitar will brake...

Gibson, hands down. Not only because it looks fuckin great, the sound and the feeling is awesome. The only good thing about fender is the tremolo bar. That is actually why Hendrix played fender, because he could bend the tremolo bar as much as he wanted to without getting the guitar fucked up.

Haha, Gibson: 29, Fender: 6. It's great to see that so many of you out there have great taste.

Edited by Gnar

I must say i agree with the cost, Gibsons are very expensive
- more versatile

Strats and Teles have the better clean tones, especially on the neck pickups. And if you put a humbucker into the bridge position of a Stratocaster, you can get fatass rock tones (AC/DC, GN'R) like from a Les Paul. But you will NEVER make a Les Paul sound like a Stratocaster, no matter how much you modify it.

- don't need to be pampered

A guitar is an INSTRUMENT, not something you should be afraid to break if you only look at it. I've never seen cracked headstocks on a Fender. You can treat this guitar clean or mean - it will always be there for you.

- who cares about the look?

Gibsons look nicer with all the bindings, maple tops and gold hardware. But at the end of the day, SOUND is what really matters. What was good enough for Hendrix is good enough for ANY guitarist. Slash recorded parts of AFD on a Strat, Page recorded the entire first Zep album with a Tele. What other proof do you need for that a Fender can sound just as cool and rock just as hard as a Gibson?

Versatility? Better cleaner tones? oh cmon, you can get a lighter sound from a les paul just by puttin a push pull pot and getting it some burst bucker pros and thats all the guitar you'll ever need, correction a Strat will never sound like a Les Paul, they don't have as much sustain or gain, and theylle never get the heavy tone the maple top gives the LP, it not about looks but if it looks better and sounds also better, thats a bargain, btw, JP recorded most of his albums with his original Les Paul One wich he sold for 600 bucks, and the New Custom Authentic is a copy of that one. Hendrix is the greatest guitarists of all times and everytime i hear little wing it gives me chills but just because he used a strat it doesnt mean that its the best guitar ever.

And all the Gibsons ive ever seen have outlived their owners, even if u treatem bad, which will just givem a murphy aged look, but they never crack because of the solid ply of hard maple on top of the guitar, but fenders, are so light and their wood is very sensitive, one drop and the guitar will brake...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol you've got to be joking, i've trown my Strat down stairs and it's still in good condition, the finish is a little dented and scratched. Your talking out of your ass, Strats and Teles are 10 times more durable than Gibsons, and in the rare ocasion where you do brake a strat of tele neck, YOU CAN REPLACE IT! but no with a gibson, their heckstocks are very easy to snap off, just dropping it onto it's headstock and you can snap it, AND YOU CAN'T REPLACE IT! you have to through the whole thing out, well that was a waste of $4000 dollars. And No, i've NEVER heard any professional say that a gibson has a better clean tone, because they dont. Strats have by far the best clean tones, just look at all the artists who use clean tones, they use Strats. Strats cut through a mix much better than a Humbucker equppied Les Paul, because the LP's are too muddy and dont have good clarity. I must admit though an LP is aot better than an SG, the person who though of putting humbuckers in a crappy little thin body like an SG should be shot, they sound terrible.

Les Pauls are also VERY heavy, try and do a hour + set with them, they kill you. It's because they are made out of Mahogany, Strats are made out of either Alder or Swamp Ash, which are considerablely lighter.

Heres one bit of hard cold truth, there are 1000s of more Strats in the world than LP's, why, because they are so much better and comfortable to play, they also sound better and are more veristile.

Nuff Said.

Right, i see i'll never be able to convince you otherwise Johnezz, so the only thing ima say about your post is that thing about doing a 1 + set with a les paul, Slash and Page would do 3 + hours with les pauls with no problem...and why are they so heavy? the high quality grain of woods that is used on a Les Paul gives it its charasteristic wieght, they must be heavy or theylle have the same light headed tone of a Strat, btw, if i bought a 4000 dollar guitar, i wouldn't be drpping it anywhere...

Heres one bit of hard cold truth, there are 1000s of more Strats in the world than LP's, why, because they are so much better and comfortable to play, they also sound better and are more veristile.

Nuff Said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theres far more Ford's than Bentleys in this world , thats because they're far better ... right?

nice logic there

Edited by Iccus

Ok obivously you people are too niave to even consider thinking a Strat is better than an LP simply because Slash used a Les Paul, there fore they are cooler.

Slash didn't have a very exciting tone.

Look at the guitarists who have the most coverted and most sort after tones

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Eric Johnson

Mark Knofler

peple would kill to have a tone like theirs. And what guitar do those 3 men use, yes thats right Stratocasters. An LP would never be able to produce a tone so rich and amazing as one from a strat. No to mention the tones i mentioned are so vastly different from one another.

And how can you possibly compare Cars to Guitars, they completely different fool.

Ok obivously you people are too niave to even consider thinking a Strat is better than an LP simply because Slash used a Les Paul, there fore they are cooler.

Slash didn't have a very exciting tone.

Look at the guitarists who have the most coverted and most sort after tones

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Eric Johnson

Mark Knofler

peple would kill to have a tone like theirs.  And what guitar do those 3 men use, yes thats right Stratocasters.  An LP would never be able to produce a tone so rich and amazing as one from a strat.  No to mention the tones i mentioned are so vastly different from one another.

And how can you possibly compare Cars to Guitars, they completely different fool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Knop2001_05.jpg

ej8.jpg

J1.jpg

Looks like Gibson to me ;)

Edited by backslazh

Holy fuck, seriously thats the only time ive seen SRV use an LP

Wtf, how long did it take for you to find that, thats insaine, he never used one.

This is his main guitar, and used on almost ALL recordings

n-stevie-ray-vaughan-58.jpg

Dire Straits era Knofler used a Strat or Tele:

dpa1.jpg

Mark-Knopfler.jpg

And Eric Johnson is certainly most famous with a strat, his famous tone is done with a strat.

ej96redback.jpg

PS: Jimmy Page used a Tele for ALL of Led Zeppelin I and he used it for All of Stairway to Heaven (except 12 String part)

Face it, people. Fenders are more practical guitars. All the points have proven it. They are far more affordable and versatile.

Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite guitarists. There is no way he could get his signature tone with a LP. Same with Eric Johson, Clapton, Hendrix, and all of the other good Strat players out there. Page was just as good with either guitar.

Most of the people who voted Gibson hat their descision affected by Slash in some way or another.

Face it, people.  Fenders are more practical guitars.  All the points have proven it.  They are far more affordable and versatile. 

Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite guitarists.  There is no way he could get his signature tone with a LP.  Same with Eric Johson, Clapton, Hendrix, and all of the other good Strat players out there.  Page was just as good with either guitar.

Most of the people who voted Gibson hat their descision affected by Slash in some way or another.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Therefore I delcare fender the winner :P

But what you say is very true

Jimmi Hendrix only used Fender because of the great tremolo bar, not because of the tone or something.

Great guitarists using Gibson:

Angus Young

Jimmy Page (His signature guitar is a Gibson)

Joe Perry

Slash

Neil Young

Clapton played a lot with Gibson

BB King

Duane Allman

Chuck Berry

And you theanomaly017, you say most people that voted Gibson is affected by Slash. Well, your favourite guitarist plays Fender. I think you're a damn hypocrite.

Gibson is not a better guitar because it's more expensive, and Fender is not better because it's been more sold. It's very individual what guitar you prefer. You can't say ''Fender is way better than Gibson, period!!''. Sure, that might be your opinion, but it's not a fact. Opinons are arguable.

Face it, people.  Fenders are more practical guitars.  All the points have proven it.  They are far more affordable and versatile. 

Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite guitarists.  There is no way he could get his signature tone with a LP.  Same with Eric Johson, Clapton, Hendrix, and all of the other good Strat players out there.  Page was just as good with either guitar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey, hey! no!

the spaghetti incident is more versatile and affordable then AFD. but AFD excels in what it's supposed to do, therefore it's better. (plus it has nighttrain). OWNED!

i own both LP and fender. but my jackson blows them both way out of the water.

you can't cay megadeth doesn't have an awesome sound (albeit dave's stupid voice)

About puting a hukbucker to a strat, it kills its clean tone and makes it a little more muddy, also itll never have the sustain a Gbison has...whatever, u like fender, i prefer gibson, anyways u want to compare a versatility of tones?

it aint fare cuz strats have 3 pickups, compare it to any black beauty and ull see that the black beauty kicks its ass....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey, hey! no!

the spaghetti incident is more versatile and affordable then AFD. but AFD excels in what it's supposed to do, therefore it's better. (plus it has nighttrain). OWNED!

i own both LP and fender. but my jackson blows them both way out of the water.

you can't cay megadeth doesn't have an awesome sound (albeit dave's stupid voice)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Mustaine gets a fucken awesome tone, but thats because he uses the seymour duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck, and those pickups OWN! impossible to not get a sweetas tone with them. I'm getting a set for my guitar im building. And hey, daves got an awesome voice i reakon, suits the music real well.

About puting a hukbucker to a strat, it kills its clean tone and makes it a little more muddy, also itll never have the sustain a Gbison has...whatever, u like fender, i prefer gibson, anyways u want to compare a versatility of tones?

it aint fare cuz strats have 3 pickups, compare it to any black beauty and ull see that the black beauty kicks its ass....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No you put a Humbucker in the bridge and still leave single coils in the middle and neck positions (when playing clean you always use neck pickup). That way you can get a huge range of tones that having 3 humbuckers (ie: Black Beauty) could never have. And the sustain an LP has is only slighty more, besides Strats have much better Attack then an LP, which i value more.

Anyway, enough with this petty argueing, if you want an LP, fine go get one, but they are not all cracked up to what people make them out to be. It all comes down to personal preferance.

Exactly. If Fender was a hands down all out better guitar, tone, quality, in every way, then noone would use anything different.

Strats produce different sounds than Les Pauls, which produce different sounds than SGs.

Different strokes for different folks.

I am personally going to try a little of all. I have a Squier Strat, I plan on buying a cheaper guitar, but in the style of a Les Paul, and then when I become good enough, I would love to try the doubleneck SG. I know it'd be hard, but it'd be cool as fuck.

And you theanomaly017, you say most people that voted Gibson is affected by Slash. Well, your favourite guitarist plays Fender. I think you're a damn hypocrite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't say that Knopfler is my favorite, I said he is one of 'em. Pagey is my favorite guitarist, and look what he plays!

And Neil Young isn't a "great" guitarist. He is good.

well i like Gibson. becuz of the at home feel and sound. its just idk warm. Kinda like .....its like getting into bed with a good lookin woman. I dont mean sex i mean just to warm up too. ok that probly didnt make sense but i tryed.