Do people think Axl making an appearance on the VMAs will be enough promotion?

Kaneda

I work in Public Relations and Marketing, so it's my job to build buzz for new products and get people talking about them, so that when a product is available, people want it. When you consider GNR is a product, and it hopes to sell two things:

1. A new Album

2. Concert tickets

There is a certain amount of necessary promotion and advertising required to move sales of both. What shocks me is that GNR continues to operate with no promotional strategy what-so-ever, and good promotional strategies are in motion a good six months to a year before a product arrives.

Guns N Roses being on tour is not nearly enough promotion to make people want to see them live, or buy a new album. An honest assesment of the situation is that most people don't consider this band to be Guns N Roses, and GNR has been out of the media spotlight for over a decade. Axl's return in 2002 at the VMAs was atrocious, and for most people, that is the new image of GNR imprinted in the minds of the masses.

Even if Axl comes out at the VMAs and says the release date, it's not going to make people want to run out and buy concert tickets. Only new music will help drive some real promotion. And Axl performing live is not what I am talking about.

Let's say he performs Better live, what will that do? Nobody in Radio City will know it, and they will just be staring at the stage bored. You can't really get into a song the first time you hear it.

What Axl needs to do is get Chinese D into everyone's hands, something we thought he would do BEFORE this new tour kicked off. Since he has failed to deliver, it's taking the wind out of all of our sails and it's still the proverbial waiting game of old.

In the end, this entire Chinese Democracy wait has been a joke and there are no more excuses. Axl's arrogance will embark him on yet another unsuccessful North American tour and he will fail to capture the US marktet, once again.

What I am saying is that anything other than releasing Chinese D is irrelevant at this point. Axl performing/presenting at the VMAs is pointless, the release date is even pointless (as it can easily be delayed)...the only thing that will excite people is the album.

For me, I wouldn't pay to see another GNR concert unless I had the album in hand, and I am die-hard fan, imagine what the mindset is of the casual GNR fan...he could give two shits about this tour.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Axl isn't too keen on the press (and them on him after get in the ring!) but he could've put himself out there for a few interviews before and after the UK dates and then some in the states ect. I adore the guy and the band and as such would love to see them interviewed, making appearances ect. Also maybe he could've released a song even if he didn't do the whole album, it'd be interesting to see how GnR would fare in the charts now. Personally I think most chart music is total dross and that GnR would be a shining light amoung the crap but that's just me...............!

Jo

dude, if you're "in the business of promotion", you know that you don't put all your eggs in one basket. i highly doubt that the grand plan solely consists of an appearance at the VMA's. it's just one step in a series of activities to promote CD.

i think we will hv some kind of promotion as from september 01st...

* VMAs on August 31st;

* gnronline being updated (not to much but its being worked out)

* September, October, November plus December for promotion, advertising & tour for a January release i think its enough.

I believe if they are thinking of a December/January release, September is the month for CD promotion.

Too much promotion is a pain in the a$$ too, it makes the wait too long. I would say no more than a month of promotion.

There is a certain amount of necessary promotion and advertising required to move sales of both. What shocks me is that GNR continues to operate with no promotional strategy what-so-ever, and good promotional strategies are in motion a good six months to a year before a product arrives.

Something to think about, last year, I was watching a dvd and one of the previews was for that race car driver movie, with Will Farell. Yes, last year, and it was just released to theatres a month ago. Too long of a wait for people makes people forget, even six months of promotion is way too long.

Something to think about, last year, I was watching a dvd and one of the previews was for that race car driver movie, with Will Farell. Yes, last year, and it was just released to theatres a month ago. Too long of a wait for people makes people forget, even six months of promotion is way too long.

u got that right

Do any of you have real jobs? Seriously, I fucking WORK in promotions and all of you have your head up your asses if you think AXL is good a promotion. What I am saying is that promotions start about 6 months out, and the fact that AXL isn't even mentioning Chinese D shows this thing hasn't begun.

This board is a bunch of brainless twats.

promotions start about 6 months out

not for an album. by the time you released the damn thing people would be bored with the idea of it. 6 to 8 weeks is all you need for music.

another thing. Axl has been in the news all year for one thing or another. this is slowly getting the masses indoctrinated to the fact that Axl isn't dead or retired. then about two months from release (and about the time of a tour kickoff) start advertising the shiat out of CD. we really can't say whether or not this thing isn't getting promoted well or not , because we don't know when it's really being released. time will tell.

Edited by artfromtex

Do any of you have real jobs? Seriously, I fucking WORK in promotions and all of you have your head up your asses if you think AXL is good a promotion. What I am saying is that promotions start about 6 months out, and the fact that AXL isn't even mentioning Chinese D shows this thing hasn't begun.

yeah, but do you promote celebrities or cell phones and chicken wings?

Theres a big difference

all of you have your head up your asses if you think AXL is good a promotion. What I am saying is that promotions start about 6 months out, and the fact that AXL isn't even mentioning Chinese D shows this thing hasn't begun.

To be fair, that doesn't necessarily mean that Axl is bad at promotion. It might just mean that he has no intention of releasing the album.

Oh wait, that's much worse. :(

Yep but it's good that we have a such enlightened and smart guy like you to guide us all to the right direction :heart:

Hmmm.... yeah I do think he makes some good points then he kind of ruins it.....

So what marketing do you do Kaneda?

I assume it's not related to the promotion of multi-million selling rock bands' new album after 13 years of pretty much silence?

If it is linked to the music industry and big selling artists then I apologise, but if my hunch is correct and it isn't, then don't be too patronising towards people with a different view, because I don't think you know as much as you think you do.

I doubt there has been a case in music history like this one before, so I doubt anyone can be expert on how to handle this albums release. Sure I'd like more promotion and to see the Guns on TV all the time, but I'm not arrogant enough to tell people how to handle the Gunners comeback. Sure express your point of view but don't act like you're a marketing god because you post leflets....

LP

This might be a bit bias of me but when you are Axl Rose I honestly do not think you need enough promo.

Sure, he's got loyal fans, but so many people younger than 20 love Guns and will love Axl's return. I mean who gives a shit? I could be wrong - again just my opinion.

Why can't people discuss my points without crying so much? I think I make some valid points that deserve discussion.

You absolutely did.

I was a marketing major myself, and I agree with every word you said.

Why do you take shit here? The phrase "can't see the forest from the trees" comes to mind. People here are pretty god damn delusional.

Don't believe me?

Explain statements like "one of the most anticipated albums of alltime" to me then. Are you trippin? The sad reality is that most of the general public gave up on Axl LONG ago. Yes, *to us* its one of the most anticipated albums of all time. But come on, we are not the general public. We are the diehards of the diehards.

Why can't people discuss my points without crying so much? I think I make some valid points that deserve discussion.

You absolutely did.

I was a marketing major myself, and I agree with every word you said.

Why do you take shit here? The phrase "can't see the forest from the trees" comes to mind. People here are pretty god damn delusional.

Don't believe me?

Explain statements like "one of the most anticipated albums of alltime" to me then. Are you trippin? The sad reality is that most of the general public gave up on Axl LONG ago. Yes, *to us* its one of the most anticipated albums of all time. But come on, we are not the general public. We are the diehards of the diehards.

Yeah, most people I know dont know jack shit about CD, they care more about Audioslave or whatever is out next.

And yes, Kaneda does make verry good points, Im glad to see this time we didnt have to worry about Funeral or some other fuckhead posting the "Wheres Kaneda?" pic or his myspace again.

The complaining in Kaneda threads is just as cliche as the stuff they whine about, its good to see some of the forum members are taking him seriously for a change.

I don't really care about promotion or ticket sales, but I'm forced to cuz I think Axl cares a great deal about this shit and if it all goes tits up I'm afraid he'll freak out and rip up the masters, get in a fight with Brain, lose the fight and then we'll never hear from him again.

I just want the new album.