Do people think Axl making an appearance on the VMAs will be enough promotion?

Kaneda

and now allow me to quote, well, myself :krider:

Promotion for CD? :rofl-lol: are you kidding me? It's fucking Chinese Democracy! the most anticipated cd in the history of Rock n' Roll, all Axl needs to do is say "The cd will come out ________(<--date)", anywhere, anyhow, and the thing will blow up like those bombs at Hiroshima :krider: every person with a TV, Computer or Radio will know within 48hrs. Now that's a fact. B)

Kannon.

Kannon.

all the gnr fans will buy it but what about anyone else? how will they know if they don't surf the net?

if i wasn't looking on these boards i'd know little or nothing about the goings on of gnr now

they need promotion if they want it to go number 1 for a long time straight away

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 months to a year would be ridiculous for an album. People lose interest seeing ads over and over again that they can't act on.

When are you really, really into a song? It's usually when you first hear it, or a little bit after that if it needs time to grow on you. All the band needs is a single and some heavy promotion for two to three weeks after that. Then they can drop the album. This is when there will be the most buzz around the first single. There will be an inital spike in sales. Release single number two a few weeks afterwards and you get your second spike. Hopefully the same thing happens with the third single. The tour succeeds off of all the hype surrounding the album. What you don't do is release a single like four months before the album. The song will be old news by the time the album is out.

GN'R have played it smart so far. Axl has been in the news all year long and they've spent next to nothing to achieve that. Exactly how is that dumb? People are aware that he is active again. He has been reported in the mainstream media several times so far this year. Thursday that is going to be taken up a few notches. If the release is happening in November that means there are still 2 to 3 months left to do promotion. I predict the following:

- some sort of announcement at the VMAs

- promotion ramps up

- a few shows in Sep/Oct

- single in mid to late Oct

- album in mid Nov

- second single in late Dec/early Jan

If they do that they are fine. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but you can't pass judgement right now. It's too early. We don't know what they have in store. You're calling their plan a failure when you have no idea what it even is or when the album is coming, or how long they plan to tour! :no:

The next month will be key if they plan to release the album by November.

GN'R have played it smart so far. Axl has been in the news all year long and they've spent next to nothing to achieve that. Exactly how is that dumb? People are aware that he is active again. He has been reported in the mainstream media several times so far this year.

This is very true. Anytime Axl is in the news (like the Axl Rose vs Tommy Hilfiger thing), and its reported, the news person always seems to mention that Axl has said the long awaited Chinese Democracy should be released in the fall of this year. It may not be much, but its something.

GN'R have played it smart so far. Axl has been in the news all year long and they've spent next to nothing to achieve that. Exactly how is that dumb? People are aware that he is active again. He has been reported in the mainstream media several times so far this year.

This is very true. Anytime Axl is in the news (like the Axl Rose vs Tommy Hilfiger thing), and its reported, the news person always seems to mention that Axl has said the long awaited Chinese Democracy should be released in the fall of this year. It may not be much, but its something.

but only gnr fans are interested in that stuff

if they wanna sell more they need to promote more to convert people over

if i wasn't on this board i wouldn't know about a US tour, CD fall release date, the hilfiger fight,sweedish arrest,leaks and other things

some countries with rock radio stations and hundreds of celebrity gossip maagazines may not need promotion but what about everywhere else?

when i saw gnr this year i was talking to some people around me and they knew next to nothing about new gnr, some even thought it was a reunion show, most couldn't even sing along to any of the new songs

Why can't people discuss my points without crying so much? I think I make some valid points that deserve discussion.

No you're right. You made a good post with good points. It is very confusing as to why they have yet to promote it. If we're guessing and that is all we can do, maybe promotion begins from tomorrow night. If Axl says/does something at the VMAs then perhaps the following day flyers for New GNR begin to appear, or adverts in the papers and on the radio etc. Surely it's going to all happen following one event? Fingers crossed that is tomorrow night or the US tour is doomed.

Why can't people discuss my points without crying so much? I think I make some valid points that deserve discussion.

Because you are a broken record and a crybaby and you do this way way way too much

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?act=Se...er&mid=2594

9 pages of essentially the same topic

And regardless of what happens, I guarantee we get 3 different threads from you the week after the VMAs complaining or whining about something

Back in 1991 2 of my mates slept outside the box office with many other fans to be able to get tickets to Wembley stadium, not long after they got ours the concert sold out. Use your illusion didn't come out in our shops until September but having had a preview of the songs at the concert I was even more eager to buy it!

Axl has always done things different to other bands, he doesn't ride the publicity carasole, for example I did many searches on ticketmaster to find out if GnR were touring and nothing came up then all of a sudden apparently out of nowhere the Hammersmith date came up. Too late for me to get a ticket and I was gutted, then the Wembley Arena dates got announced, they sold out pretty quickly too, I was lucky my mate's husband had 2 extra tickets so I got to go but it was a close thing! I now have an alert on ticketmaster!!

I would've loved to see a bit more of him while he was in the UK, an appearance on tv being interviewed, the odd performance ect but that's not what he does is it? Also cos he has dropped out of the public eye for a while the press weren't so interested in reporting his every move, whereas once he would've made most papers during his stay this time he got a couple of stray mentions such as "Axl arriving for Madonna's party". The only time he made the big news was when he got nicked in Stockholm, great and all that did was give me a panic attack that the concert I was so looking forward to wasn't going to happen! I would like to see him out there getting the headlines but then he hated all that so it isn't likely! He won't book interviews as he knows they'll be on at him about Chinese Democracy, I reckon that when he has a date set in stone he'll start doing more publicity until then he's not going to open himself up for a hard time on how long the album has taken, how much it cost, what was he doing when he was out of the public eye type stuff!

Jo

6 months to a year would be ridiculous for an album. People lose interest seeing ads over and over again that they can't act on.

When are you really, really into a song? It's usually when you first hear it, or a little bit after that if it needs time to grow on you. All the band needs is a single and some heavy promotion for two to three weeks after that. Then they can drop the album. This is when there will be the most buzz around the first single. There will be an inital spike in sales. Release single number two a few weeks afterwards and you get your second spike. Hopefully the same thing happens with the third single. The tour succeeds off of all the hype surrounding the album. What you don't do is release a single like four months before the album. The song will be old news by the time the album is out.

GN'R have played it smart so far. Axl has been in the news all year long and they've spent next to nothing to achieve that. Exactly how is that dumb? People are aware that he is active again. He has been reported in the mainstream media several times so far this year. Thursday that is going to be taken up a few notches. If the release is happening in November that means there are still 2 to 3 months left to do promotion. I predict the following:

- some sort of announcement at the VMAs

- promotion ramps up

- a few shows in Sep/Oct

- single in mid to late Oct

- album in mid Nov

- second single in late Dec/early Jan

If they do that they are fine. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but you can't pass judgement right now. It's too early. We don't know what they have in store. You're calling their plan a failure when you have no idea what it even is or when the album is coming, or how long they plan to tour! :no:

The next month will be key if they plan to release the album by November.

Superb post.

Canada, I agree with you, however we know Gn'R, and we know what'd required - and there's plenty more time for that to happen.

Musicians, should enter your soul. Soul beats money, and soul is the best publicity! Peace.

yeah yeah andf it would be nice if it was peace in the world and no one would starve. Sorry, welcome to the real world. Money beats soul. And Money buys the best publicity, that's the truth about the music industry.

Remember the VMA's in 1991? The release date for the UYI albums where delayed many times in 1991. But than came the VMA's. There was a live performance of G N' R at the Wembley Arena in London(Live and let die) on that show and suddenly 2-3 weeks after the VMA's (sept.17 1991) both albums where released without a big promotion carousel. All they did was doing a tour in the U.S.A and Europe. Does this sound familiar to you??

great point.

No, not a great point. In the beginning of the 90th Guns n Roses was larger than most religions. They where on peoples lips. It is a totally different situation today. Guns are still big, surprisingly if you consider what Guns has been up to in the public eye that last 13 years. But they are not near as big as they were back in the days and I'm pretty sure that they need every marketing they can get if they wanna sell out big arenas and get some really good sells on CD.

The Illusions may have been released kind of wacky and it didn't hurt, but I don't think anybody thought Guns dropped off the face of the planet at that time either. That was, what, a three or four year wait? Appetite wasn't really that big until 1988 was it? So, three years plus Lies came out between. Oh, and some tours mixed in there and being all over MTV. And, it was actually Guns N Roses.

Being in the news in Europe for biting cops and "assaulting" women doesn't really seem to be publicity. That one about getting bottles of piss thrown at you on stage doesn't help your image much either. Everytime I hear any news about Axl on the radio he is being made fun of. Who cares about news? If Axl was all over the tabloids in the 80's with no Sweet Child O' Mine I don't think it would have gotten as big as it did.

Yeah, Axl needs to put out the record. Not many people get excited about a handfull of live performance bootlegs. How will anybody really know anything about the new Guns N Roses if there isn't anything to listen to? There is no record, therefore there are no songs on the radio.

Seems to me the new Guns N Roses needs to be on the radio. There is no more MTV (30 second clip of Pink on TRL) or VH1 (shows about music, but no actual music). Radio's really the best exposure. Oh, it needs to be Chinese Democracy on the radio.

Biting that security guard was actually one of the only two marketings stunts good enough to mention for guns in say... 13 years. Maybe it wasn't intentional but I assure you that the publicity generated by it would make give given publicist wet pants. The other good marketing stunt Axl's pulled of was the show at the 2002 WMA. well.. it was a good idea atleast. To bad that the show sucked big times.

Really, promotion is everything about success. And Guns ain't doing much promotion today. They need to give interviews, spread some promo photos of the whole group and give some official statements every now and then. Seriously they will NOT "rule the music industry" or anything like that if they don't start to work for it. Sorry.