Went to see Hookers & Blow the other night

Ericstacey

They opened for Dead Daisies. I would say there were maybe 200-250 people there. Dizzy actually walked past me and went to the bar and did a few fat shots of Yager with a couple of the members of his band while another opener was playing before his set-I honestly don't think anyone standing around the bar knew who he was. He Played Pretty Tied Up, Dust N Bones, Don't Cry, Sweet Child, a few songs off of his album. His band was pretty good, but his voice just isn't that strong. He seemed to be having a good time tho. It's always neat to see Guns members play small venues like this. I've seen Gilby and Bucket play the same stage before.  I was temped to go up and say hi, but it was a little loud, and I just know I would have annoyed him asking if Guns will put any new music out lol.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ericstacey said:

They opened for Dead Daisies. I would say there were maybe 200-250 people there. Dizzy actually walked past me and went to the bar and did a few fat shots of Yager with a couple of the members of his band while another opener was playing before his set-I honestly don't think anyone standing around the bar knew who he was. He Played Pretty Tied Up, Dust N Bones, Don't Cry, Sweet Child, a few songs off of his album. His band was pretty good, but his voice just isn't that strong. He seemed to be having a good time tho. It's always neat to see Guns members play small venues like this. I've seen Gilby and Bucket play the same stage before.  I was temped to go up and say hi, but it was a little loud, and I just know I would have annoyed him asking if Guns will put any new music out lol.

Right on! Its cool they are doing some tracks from his solo album. Glad you reminded me they're touring because he's heading my way shortly and Ill hope to go see them. And agreed about GNR members in small venues, Ive seen Gilby in a club and it was really cool.

lol, I think Dizzy gave his official new gnr music statement in that Australian interview: "You'll all know before me." :lol:

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Right on! Its cool they are doing some tracks from his solo album. Glad you reminded me they're touring because he's heading my way shortly and Ill hope to go see them. And agreed about GNR members in small venues, Ive seen Gilby in a club and it was really cool.

lol, I think Dizzy gave his official new gnr music statement in that Australian interview: "You'll all know before me." :lol:

It really is. I went to see Gilby do an acoustic show for The Hangover in 96 0r 97, and there may have been 30 people there-he had us pull our chairs close to the stage-it was really neat. I seen Tommy 10 or 15 years ago play a small club here (I'm in Cleveland by the way), and he was just walking around the bar area before the show talking with people just like any other customer. It's just neat that someone like Dizzy was playing stadium shows a month ago with Guns n Roses to playing a small club show in a not so good neighborhood in Cleveland lol. And that's no knock on Dizzy-I think some of these guys like doing small shows just for fun-he even said it was neat to play a show where everyone didn't have their cell phone out recording, and they were actually watching him play. I actually also seen Matt play here on the larger stage with the Cult when he toured with them in 99 or whatever. I've seen Guns play 7 or 8 times, but I think I've seen at least 50 shows of the side projects of the members, between Izzy, VR, Snakepit, Gilby.  The lone person I have not seen live is Steven.

14 minutes ago, Ericstacey said:

It really is. I went to see Gilby do an acoustic show for The Hangover in 96 0r 97, and there may have been 30 people there-he had us pull our chairs close to the stage-it was really neat. I seen Tommy 10 or 15 years ago play a small club here (I'm in Cleveland by the way), and he was just walking around the bar area before the show talking with people just like any other customer. It's just neat that someone like Dizzy was playing stadium shows a month ago with Guns n Roses to playing a small club show in a not so good neighborhood in Cleveland lol. And that's no knock on Dizzy-I think some of these guys like doing small shows just for fun-he even said it was neat to play a show where everyone didn't have their cell phone out recording, and they were actually watching him play. I actually also seen Matt play here on the larger stage with the Cult when he toured with them in 99 or whatever. I've seen Guns play 7 or 8 times, but I think I've seen at least 50 shows of the side projects of the members, between Izzy, VR, Snakepit, Gilby.  The lone person I have not seen live is Steven.

What?!? That's incredible all those great shows! Wish Id seen those. Ive never seen Izzy so I hope the petition works out :headbang:. Sounds almost like a campfire vibe at that Gilby show

I think your right, people like Dizzy just love the whole playing rock n roll. Its in their DNA. And like he said, it probably nice to do clubs after being like 20 feet away from closest band mate and like 250 feet away from an audience you really cant see. As Slash would say "getting toe-to-toe with an audience"

Id love to see Steven too. His bands arent really precisely my style of rock, but I think that those songs would be really rockin live. Not to mention hearing AFD songs played right!!

1 hour ago, soon said:

What?!? That's incredible all those great shows! Wish Id seen those. Ive never seen Izzy so I hope the petition works out :headbang:. Sounds almost like a campfire vibe at that Gilby show

I think your right, people like Dizzy just love the whole playing rock n roll. Its in their DNA. And like he said, it probably nice to do clubs after being like 20 feet away from closest band mate and like 250 feet away from an audience you really cant see. As Slash would say "getting toe-to-toe with an audience"

Id love to see Steven too. His bands arent really precisely my style of rock, but I think that those songs would be really rockin live. Not to mention hearing AFD songs played right!!

I was lucky enough to see Izzy and the Ju Ju hounds in 92 or 93? It was a packed club, and it was on fire . He was my first live GNR experience ever. I went to see Gilby 4 or 5 times in the mid to late 90's-I'll always have a soft spot for him, because there was so little happening with Guns at the time, of course-even after Smakepit in 95, Slash wasn't exactly doing a lot, so Gilby putting out albums and touring was fun, because I was desperate for GNR anything. While Dizzy is probably doing this for fun, I think Gilby wanted to have success with the solo stuff-I talked to him when he did an interview with the local radio station here back in '94-it was outside when they were building the rock hall-I asked him why he wasn't doing a show here, and he said because the radio station wasn't pushing Cure me Or Kill Me. I just don't think the general public was interested, or maybe even knew who Gilby was-a lot of the shows I went to did not draw well.

• GNFNR 1

• 2 weeks later...