My Guns N Roses Life

axlslashduffizzysteven

Age 8 - I hear Appetite for the first time. My friend's brother was in high school at the time so he had the cassette. I would always go hang out at this kid's house so I could listen to Appetite. I've never been more blown away by music, and I was in 3rd grade. By age 10 I had managed to get a copy of Appetite and Lies. When I was 12 the Illusions came out. On the day the Illusions were released I bought them both. I went home shooting baskets listening to the cassettes blasting on my little suburban street. I remember when Get in the Ring came on I was wondering what the neighbors thought. My Middle School and High School years were defined by GNR. Everyone has always associated me with the band.

I was sad when the Adler was kicked out (I used to love watching the smiling drummer). When Izzy left I was even more disappointed that only 3 guys remained. Little did I know that the three of them would never write original music together again. I remember waiting in 95 and then hearing Slash left the band. I always thought it was temporary. I waited through college. Axl started touring with other guys. But, it's like having your parents divorce. You always hope that somehow someway they find each other again. The music has defined my life and the guys who started the band I feel like are family members. Here's to hoping that they take the stage, even if it's for a simple handshake at the R&R HOF.

Edited by axlslashduffizzysteven

that's a shockingly similar story to mine - right down to the ages (exactly), and getting turned on by an older kid down the street. :rofl-lol: I didn't get both tapes right away though, I just got UYI II cause I was just a kid with no money of my own so I had to beg my mom for it LOL

It was really hard for me to accept Chinese Democracy at first as a Guns N Roses album. But, once I got over that, I listened and listened. It's an amazing album. But, that doesn't take away the feeling that my life will never be complete unless the original 5 share a stage, or even just a room, together one more time.

I feel like the R&R HOF is the last realistic chance at this happening. It's all I can think about.

LOL, I actually didn't read the last part of your original post. :xmassrudolph: I've never had a hard time accepting the "new" band, since really there has been a revolving cast of characters since I can remember. I mean c'mon, we had Matt, Dizzy joined, Gilby, then there was a tour, then silence for about 10 years until they came out with a few new guys. For me, it's always been a changing thing. :shrugs:

I once held my girlfriend off the ground and kissed her all the way through November Rain. I was glad she fell in love with GnR too.

I first got into them when I was in seventh grade. I hadn't listened to music much at all before but I got an iPod for Christmas and GnR was part of a list of recommendations from a friend. Got Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child O' Mine, and after that I just got more and more into them up to now.

My mom had me at 19 and sung SCOM to me from her pregnacy until i was like 2 when my Dad bought UYI albums. I had first appreciated 'You Could Be Mine' but at the same time I was hooked-up listening Nirvana when I was 5 following the death of Kurt Cobain. Since then GNR stopped touring/releasing album and I stopped listening to their songs until the release of Chinese Democracy which I've appreciated GNR much more than ever.

My mother said AFD lineup were good, my father said UYI were better, I said current GNR is the best and louder performance wise.

In terms of music at home, it's been like a mygnrforum, an endless debate.

So it's 'OUR Guns N' Roses lives, not just mine.

Edited by axlrod