Boston Herald's great review

Deniro

G N’R lineup a thorn in Axl’s side

By Jed Gottlieb

Friday, November 10, 2006

Axl Rose has made Guns N’ Roses rock’s New York Yankees. He has pulled out his checkbook and spent his royalties recruiting the best talent in the world (yes, his hired guns can really play). But as the Yankees know, you can’t buy chemistry. Guns N’ Roses’ Wednesday show at the DCU Center reconfirmed that.

Rarely is a show so good and so disappointing. In the first moments, as the spotlights swarmed the crowd and the opening chords of ‘‘Welcome to the Jungle” echoed around the arena, a fighting-weight Rose screamed, ‘‘Do you know where you are?” and it looked like he was going to pull it off. The years and hours of waiting (G N’R didn’t go on until 11:45) suddenly seemed worth it. But the moment faded fast.

As the band wailed through favorites from ‘‘Appetite for Destruction” - ‘‘Jungle” was quickly followed by ‘‘It’s So Easy” and ‘‘Mr. Brownstone” - cracks started to show. Rose was unhappy with the sound and complained he couldn’t hear his vocals. At this point in G N’R’s career, sound problems are inexcusable, but perhaps not surprising.

Rose’s thin yet still unique voice barely made the list of problems. When you’ve got a band with no charisma and no personality, mediocre vocals aren’t what hold you back. With only Rose left from the original G N’R lineup, the band is a bloated octet of soulless virtuosos.

Three guitarists - Ron ‘‘Bumblefoot” Thal, Robin Finck and Richard Fortus - meant three separate five-minute solo spots for each player. Maybe Rose wants fans to get to know these guys. Or maybe he’s just padding the set while his vocal cords get a rest. Whatever the case, the solo noodling only reminds fans that Slash is long gone. Rose’s first smart move in a decade would be firing one of these guys (hopefully the tie-dyed-sundress-wearing Finck, who has as much stage presence as a kumquat).

Of course, Rose isn’t about smart moves. He picked an ultraboring Papa Roach to open. He played several great new songs - ‘‘The Blues,” ‘‘Better” and ‘‘Madagascar” are at least as good as anything on ‘‘Use Your Illusion” - from the long-overdue ‘‘Chinese Democracy,” which fans still can’t buy (Rose has promised it will be released this year, but time is running out). And after booking a venue he could only three-quarters fill, he started his show so late that fans began filing out long before its 2 a.m. finish.

There were bright spots. Show opener Sebastian Bach’s duet vocal on ‘‘My Michelle” forced Rose to up his game, and the new G N’R songs didn’t send fans charging for the beer lines. But if this is the best G N’R money can buy, well, we all know where that approach got the Yankees this season.

Bullshit review the guy is obviously a moron..

Next one please..

Boston Globe:

MUSIC REVIEW

Guns N' Roses: frustrating and exhilarating

By Sarah Rodman, Globe Staff | November 10, 2006

WORCESTER -- If good things are supposed to come to those who wait, something extra-special really should have been on the other side of the 75-minute break between Papa Roach and Guns N' Roses Wednesday night at the DCU Center in Worcester .

The set was generous in terms of time (two hours and 15 minutes) and content (almost all the familiar hits), but it was nearly KO'd by a patchy sound mix, Rose's patchier vocals, and instrumental solos that, while impressive, brought the show to a near stop again and again.

At times, Rose -- looking much fitter than he did in the band's 2002 outing -- was the king of the world. While his roar was occasionally difficult to hear, he was on top of his game in terms of energy. And he joked about Britney and K- Fed's breakup and Monday's canceled show in Portland, Maine. (He thanked the Worcester fire marshals for allowing the earsplitting pyro blasts and flames that were reportedly behind the Portland cancellation.)

He strained to hit high notes on songs like "Sweet Child o' Mine" and "November Rain," or to be heard over the locomotive thunder of the band. "I hope you can hear me, because I can't," he said, complaining about the sound mix.

Keyboardist Dizzy Reed's instrumental take on the Rolling Stones' "Angie," and the guitar duet by Robin Finck and Richard Fortus on Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful " had moments of inspired noodling, but ultimately these solo turns felt like listening to sound check.

New tunes from the ever-forthcoming "Chinese Democracy" album -- more than a decade in the making -- were unveiled. Sweeping piano-pop ballad "The Blues" and muscular rocker "Better" fared best alongside still- robust old favorites. These included acoustic meditation "Patience" and screamer "My Michelle," sung as a duet with deliriously histrionic opener Sebastian Bach.

While Bach went on far too long in his slot, middle band Papa Roach played a compact set of beefy yet melodic rap-rock.

Edited by .Seal

Of course, Rose isn’t about smart moves. He picked an ultraboring Papa Roach to open. He played several great new songs - ‘‘The Blues,” ‘‘Better” and ‘‘Madagascar” are at least as good as anything on ‘‘Use Your Illusion”

---

Seems like the new songs are starting to get some critical aclaim.

Edited by FinckFortus

Rose’s first smart move in a decade would be firing one of these guys (hopefully the tie-dyed-sundress-wearing Finck, who has as much stage presence as a kumquat).

I almost fell off my chair.

Indeed! Someone forgot to tell that motherfucker that Robin wrote one of those great new songs, and how 'the Finckster' climbed those fence in Nijmegen and did some crowdsurfing at an other show. Ok, maybe Robin had a bad night, but that doesn't justify the way this assfucker writes about Robin. Somebody please shoot Jed spermbank Gottlieb. For Christ sake, he has a German family name.