How to make your solo stand out during a live gig?

Hi, until now I've been using a Zoom multi-fx pedal and I use one patch as my 'solo' patch - i use a higher EQ and patch level than my standard patch, with a hint of delay. Was wondering what other people use to make they're solo's stand out or to be heard clearly when playing live?

Any suggestions?

Monty

I don't specialize in electric guitar. :huh: I play Classical. It seems like musicians nowadays are having trouble making their own tones.

:mellow:

Not asking for a tone so to speak, just curious as to how people make their solo parts standout during a live performance. Pre-amp booster type thing or wot? :ph34r:

Monty

Very simple.....

Use a les paul type guitar, keep your guitar at about a 5 on your rythm pick up, that way in sound check you just change the pick up to the lead(which is on 10), and viola, your guitar is loud on the solo, then you just change the pick up back

you could also use a volume pedal.

Very simple.....

Use a les paul type guitar, keep your guitar at about a 5 on your rythm pick up, that way in sound check you just change the pick up to the lead(which is on 10), and viola, your guitar is loud on the solo, then you just change the pick up back

Spot on. Thats how I do it.

shred the FUCK outa your guitar man rock3

Dude, I'm not on about the style of solo or technique, I'm asking how people deal with being heard over the rest of the band. :xmassrudolph:

Monty

sorry! :lol:

I only read the title :xmasssanta: Well do the obvious thing and turn up your amp ;)

Very simple.....

Im gonna have to try that!

shred the FUCK outa your guitar man rock3

Dude, I'm not on about the style of solo or technique, I'm asking how people deal with being heard over the rest of the band. :xmassrudolph:

Monty

sorry! :lol:

I only read the title :xmasssanta: Well do the obvious thing and turn up your amp ;)

Then my rhythm playing would be too loud. They won't be able to hear the vocals. Ever wondered how Slash's solos cut through compared to his rhythm playing on something like Its So Easy? Just trying to clear it up coz I'm not convinced you get what i'm meaning :book:

Was trying to see what other options are out there, and ones suggested so far have been - volume pedal, making use of the volume nobs on the guitar, pre-amp boost...

Monty

no no no, your wrong, completely......

You have to understand a les paul

A Les Paul (and all gibson style guitars) has 2 volume nobs

what this does, is it sets the volume on both pickups, meaning you have 2 different volumes for 2 different pick ups

the middle settling mixes the pickups

thus, you can have one pick up at one volume, and have the other pick up at another volume, and switch the pickups quickly

Slash(and me) use this effect live to bring out solos and lead guitar fills

This effect is NOT on Fender style guitars

(another fun effect is you can set the volume nob on one pick up to 0 and another to 10, and then switch to turn your guitar on and off, because one pick up will have full volume, one will be at no volume)