Recording your guitar

I have a lead that connects between the guitar and the microphone input on my mac. I record using Logic Express but you could do that with any ten bob piece of software...

...anyway...job's a good 'un.

The lead cost me £15.

I also put the whole thing through an effects unit I borrowed and it sounds fucking killer!

Edited by murray_TH

What's the best way of recording yourself playing guitar (onto your computer) using minimal stuff (for lack of a better word)? I mean, how do you record yourself without going out and buying $184051265 equipment?

Thanks guys

If you're looking for minimal equipment and cost, the best thing you can do is pick up the cable that murray_TH posted.

That cable will take a guitar's mono signal and convert it to a stereo signal. It's the cheapest and fastest way to record your guitar through your computer, although I really wouldn't recommend it for anything more than quickly recording a riff or two so that you don't forget them.

For not too much money you can by a USB audio interface. Most basic interfaces will offer better conversion rates, thus resulting in better sound quality, than your stock PC soundcard. Plus, the ASIO drivers will give you less latency (delay from when you play the notes to when you heard them through your speakers or headphones) than Microsoft's Direct Sound drivers. If you want to record actual songs, I would suggest getting an interface.

What's the best way of recording yourself playing guitar (onto your computer) using minimal stuff (for lack of a better word)? I mean, how do you record yourself without going out and buying $184051265 equipment?

Thanks guys

If you're looking for minimal equipment and cost, the best thing you can do is pick up the cable that murray_TH posted.

That cable will take a guitar's mono signal and convert it to a stereo signal. It's the cheapest and fastest way to record your guitar through your computer, although I really wouldn't recommend it for anything more than quickly recording a riff or two so that you don't forget them.

For not too much money you can by a USB audio interface. Most basic interfaces will offer better conversion rates, thus resulting in better sound quality, than your stock PC soundcard. Plus, the ASIO drivers will give you less latency (delay from when you play the notes to when you heard them through your speakers or headphones) than Microsoft's Direct Sound drivers. If you want to record actual songs, I would suggest getting an interface.

Brilliant, thanks for the great advice. I'll definately check this stuff out

Edited by slash_demigod

Thanks guys

Brilliant, thanks for the great advice. I'll definately check this stuff out

cheapest way is to download a dodgy copy of audicity, if you amp has line out the run a guitar cable from that to you sound card, or even staright from the guitar to the sound card, you may need to buy a jack thingy that has the same connections you sound card takes so it will plug into the sound card and a big hole that can take the guitar lead connections, i got 1 for about £1, might not be the best way but its probably the cheapest, iv only tried it once and it did work for me

Edited by scottish nutter

2 guitar leads, one going from the guitar into the guitar amp input, and the another one from the emulated line out into your mic socket at the back of your tower, yeah, your lead probably wont fit which is why you need one of these things, uni-conv_1.jpg Works for me, and its cheap as chips!

uni-conv_1.jpg

You don't need to worry about rigging your amp up to your computer, you can "obtain" some audio software to record your work, then use another program to effectively amplify (to your specification) your work, therefore all you need to buy is that 1/4" to 1.8" adapter above, thats assuming you do not have a 1/4" input on your sound card (most don't).

Sure it won't sound brilliant, but it's good enough to hear yourself for practising purposes and can be alot of fun.

Edited by Let And Let Live

The only problem with those adapters is that they send a mono signal to your computer.

Like I said before, that Griffin GarageBand cable the murray_TH recommended would be much better because it will send your guitar's signal as a stereo signal.

If you have an effects board with a dual output, left mono and right mono, (most effects boards have them) you can get a dual 1/4" TRS patch cable to connect your board directly to your computer. That way, you can get the sound that you're used to hearing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Liv...able?sku=330897

slash_demigod, what sort of equipment do you have now, and what exactly are you looking to record (just riffs, or are you trying to compose songs)? The more info you give, the better we'll be able to help you.