Distinctly American Rock groups

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Off the top of my head I'd say Jane's Addiction, RHCP, Allman Bros, Flying Burrito Brothers,Beastie Boys, Springsteen, Velvet Underground, Beach Boys, Dylan, Black Crowes, Drive-By Truckers, Ramones, but I'm sure Im leaving some out

Off the top of my head I'd say Jane's Addiction, RHCP, Allman Bros, Flying Burrito Brothers,Beastie Boys, Springsteen, Velvet Underground, Beach Boys, Dylan, Black Crowes, Drive-By Truckers, Ramones, but I'm sure Im leaving some out

im pretty sure there was a Nordic influence to The Ramones dude :lol:

Rolling Stones

Even though they are British, I do agree that the Stones kind of generally typify the American spirit and image of "Classic Rock." And I think the fact that Mick and Keith based their music on the roots of American blues may be part of the reason why. So, yeah, interestingly enough, I'd say the Rolling Stones are an American band in impact and spirit.

Rolling Stones

Even though they are British, I do agree that the Stones kind of generally typify the American spirit and image of "Classic Rock." And I think the fact that Mick and Keith based their music on the roots of American blues may be part of the reason why. So, yeah, interestingly enough, I'd say the Rolling Stones are an American band in impact and spirit.

In that sense you would have to allow Zeppelin.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

^No, I don't think so. It's well known that the majority of their material was blues and rock related, but they absorbed English folk in their music too often for them to classed as "distinctly American", something like "The Battle of Evermore", and a lot of Led Zeppelin III is very English.

The Grateful Dead

Very, very much so.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

Rolling Stones

In that sense you would have to allow Zeppelin.

Not really, I think - as ODS said - there was definitely something distinctly European about them. The Stones sound southern and bluesy on most (if not all, bar Satanic Majesties' Request) songs. Stairway to Heaven may be pure classic rock but it sounds British, and Led don't typify the American rock spirit the same way the Stones do. Years later, it's easy to lump them both together as "classic rock," but back in the day, the fans of the Stones were rarely much like Zep fans. A lot of the Stones fans in America (since we are talking about US relevancy here, not worldwide) tended to be more "redneck"-oriented since the Stones appealed to the southern blues crowds. Led Zeppelin was a bit more "out there," and though Page definitely played blues-oriented solos, most of the songs didn't really sound anything like the Stones'.

^No, I don't think so. It's well known that the majority of their material was blues and rock related, but they absorbed English folk in their music too often for them to classed as "distinctly American", something like "The Battle of Evermore", and a lot of Led Zeppelin III is very English.
The Grateful Dead

Very, very much so.

I see your point. Pretty much all of the bands out of England at that time had been students of the blues although they did have European inluences as well. In the end though, all music comes from Africa since it inspired gospel,blues and country to name but a few. It all goes back to the heartbeat drumming.