40 Worst Lyricists

Angelica

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else find it weird dylan didn't get a mention?

i mean, of all lyricists that's easy to pick on he's up there on the list.

Dylan? Bob Dylan? He's one of the best lyricists ever. :huh:

Yeah but this list seems to be based on songs, other than the repetoire of artists.

They probably would've included Dylan if they read these lyrics.

i find it funny when journalists come up with "worst lyricist", etc. the artists on that list all wrote songs that are very popular so i don't see how they can call them the worst. i can see individuals not liking someone's lyrics, but to come up with a consensus? i find it....i guess there just trying to sell magazines and get publicity. it's all art anyway.

ding ding ding! we have a winner to who figured out the capitalist system!

If they really put down the worst lyricists than nobody would buy the fucking mags cuz nobody would recognize the names.

Jim Morrison...as a lyricist is pretty shitty...

but as a poet...masterful.

woo hoo! what do i win?

:P

Did anyone else find it weird dylan didn't get a mention?

i mean, of all lyricists that's easy to pick on he's up there on the list.

Dylan? Bob Dylan? He's one of the best lyricists ever. :huh:

Yeah but this list seems to be based on songs, other than the repetoire of artists.

They probably would've included Dylan if they read these lyrics.

Actually I was thinking of something more along the lines of:

BOB DYLAN

While being glorified by some as the poet of the age, he started as a simple all american folk hero - signed as the first folk artist on a major record, but then got..."weird," got into pot and then his inspiration started to fall down flights of stairs. This can be stated in his high-school like intention to referance as many famous artists in one song as he possibly can to string together an entire song while actually creating utter shit unworthy a of middle schooler who just discovered weed as a barbituite habit (Desolation Row).

Worst Lyric:

"Don't wanna be a bum

You better chew gum

The pump don't work

'Cause the vandals took the handles" (Subterranean Homesick Blues)

I suppose have some semblance of respect though.

Its impressive how none of you give your opinions, but just act like its not just an opinion but its the absolute truth. I think lyricist is the same thing as poet. And I don't agree on Plant being there, i think "All of my Love", "Thats the way" or "the Rain song" are pretty much masterpieces...jmho...

I completely agree with this list. Stop being so offended, everyone. People like Plant wrote some great syrics, but some real shitty ones, too. You can't be perfect all the time. Luckily, Plant had an excellent band backing him to save songs like "Ramble On."

The only offensive thing is that Sammy Hagar is not on the list. He should be Number One.

"Only time will tell if we can stand the test of time."

-Van Hagar, "Why Can't This Be Love?"

Scotty Weiland should also be high up on the list.

"Somebody raped my tapeworm abortion. Come on motherfuckers, and deliver the cow!"

Just only one song, it doesn't mean all the songs are the same. Listen Mötley Crüe's Girls, Girls, Girls and Warrant's Cherry Pie and you will say the same.

Scot Weiland writes shitty lyrics on a consistant basis.

There's nothing wrong with "Girls, Girls, Girls" because it was never meant to be taken as anything more than the obvious. When someone attempts to be "deep" or "thoughtful" and comes up with this utter shit, it's embarassing.

Besides, you think Aerosmith is basically the same and as good now and in the 90s as they were in the earlier days. Your opinion clearly does not count.

lol

My father, who was an Aerosmith fan since the 70's, bought Get A Grip.

And an Aeromith fan listening Van Halen is normal, it's a band from the same genre.

I bought Get A Grip, too. That's how I know it sucks.

I'm an Aerosmith fan and a huge VH fan, most anybody around here could tell you. This is no Van Halen album. This is a sap-fest fronted by the Cheddar One himself. With such top radio shits as "Why Can't This Be Love?" "Dreams," and "Love Walks In," it's a dream for anyone who likes "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing."