Sad state of the music industry

Axl In Lafayette

I also think record sales have dropped because the the album culture has died.

Half of the peple I know don't even know that albums exist, and probably 45% more don't care. Many people even use the expression *some artist*'s last song to define their last single or video release, or their first song for the first hit of the said artist. Most youths cannot see past the few songs that are fed to them for promotion and get to the bulk of music that the artists' discographies contain. They don't buy albums because they don't understand their importance or their use.

They have a very short attention span, so they don't get attached to a certain sound or artist, they listen to a song until they get bored of it, then they move on. The album on the other hand requires investing in something that you keep, something you return to. Nowadays, there is no returning to a song. If it's older than 6 months it's deemed obsolete. And with the sudden growth of the trend of ringtones from songs, it's all become even worse.

And since the main target for mainstream music sales is the 15-25 year olds age group, of course this affects the music industry big time.

What really sucks is that these are the last days to catch the great bands from the past that are still around. I can't imagine any of the current bands selling out arenas in twenty years or ten years even.

It really sucks that Axl can't seem to release an album because in todays music climate he could easily be the biggest thing around based off the new material we have heard.

Don't remind me. You know how the Stones, Zeppelin, Coop, Meat, Aerosmith and co. are all around the same age? Imagine what a fucking depressing few years it'll be when those old gods start dropping like flies - particularly since no-one's picking up the gauntlet.

Don't forget younger Hard Rock bands like Bon jovi, Buckcherry, Stone Gods (ex-The Darkness) and Velvet Revolver are still getting success.

What really sucks is that these are the last days to catch the great bands from the past that are still around. I can't imagine any of the current bands selling out arenas in twenty years or ten years even.

It really sucks that Axl can't seem to release an album because in todays music climate he could easily be the biggest thing around based off the new material we have heard.

Don't remind me. You know how the Stones, Zeppelin, Coop, Meat, Aerosmith and co. are all around the same age? Imagine what a fucking depressing few years it'll be when those old gods start dropping like flies - particularly since no-one's picking up the gauntlet.

Don't forget younger Hard Rock bands like Bon jovi, Buckcherry, Stone Gods (ex-The Darkness) and Velvet Revolver are still getting success.

Bon Jovi aint hard rock, they're more moderate rock. no pop rock. no soft rock. kinda malleable rock. squish rock if you will. supple textured stres ball rock. dough rock. oh the possibilities :rolleyes:

Don't mourn for the industry that had its eyes on your pocket and soul. The giant is being slain and its about time. They'll have to cater to the people and the times now if they want a chance at life.

Spare me the 'eyes on my soul' rubbish. They never forced anyone to buy anything anymore than Penguin forced people what to read.

Ideally, the labels will be forced to downsize and stop being so monolithic and having to rely on big artists.

Edited by ADPT

Bon Jovi aint hard rock, they're more moderate rock. no pop rock. no soft rock. kinda malleable rock. squish rock if you will. supple textured stres ball rock. dough rock. oh the possibilities :rolleyes:

Good, you're talking about surnames. I'm talking about music genres. Even if they had Glam Metal, Contemporary or Country elements in their career, they were always a Hard Rock band.

Edited by JKKDARK

Maybe it might be to the lack of identity music now has.It used to be the creme of everybody's crop, no matter what the genre was.

Now? 14,076 different kinds of music and the crop has died.

The creativity is gone, what can be made has been made, the "newness or freshness"

of the music scene is gone.

The world needs another Beatles.......but it can't happen because there

are only so many "fresh" sounds that can be made.............

The music industry seems to think that Rap was the answer, BUT it is

not strong enough to appeal to most listeners in a pop culture, POP

MUSIC has died.

Maybe it might be to the lack of identity music now has.It used to be the creme of everybody's crop, no matter what the genre was.

Now? 14,076 different kinds of music and the crop has died.

The creativity is gone, what can be made has been made, the "newness or freshness"

of the music scene is gone.

The world needs another Beatles.......but it can't happen because there

are only so many "fresh" sounds that can be made.............

The music industry seems to think that Rap was the answer, BUT it is

not strong enough to appeal to most listeners in a pop culture, POP

MUSIC has died.

You're crazy......POP or Rock for that matter has not died; The music industry's only problem; as I stated in a previous post is that they don't release "popular-songs" as singles...........people get tired of buying an album for one song.

As for your comment on Rap being the answer........it could have been (Even Bob Dylan thought so)......but like with anything else that makes money........"The Man" figured he knew a better way to do it; therefore taking creative control away from the Artist.

Good, you're talking about surnames. I'm talking about music genres. Even if they had Glam Metal, Contemporary or Country elements in their career, they were always a Hard Rock band.

i cant believe you actually wrote a seriously response to that :lol: i wasnt talking about anything nimrod i was making fun of you. really, what the hell is squish rock?? :rofl-lol: or supple textured stress-ball rock??? :lol: you're such a weenie

i cant believe you actually wrote a seriously response to that :lol: i wasnt talking about anything nimrod i was making fun of you. really, what the hell is squish rock?? :rofl-lol: or supple textured stress-ball rock??? :lol: you're such a weenie

I thought you were serious because all your posts are like that.