Janis Joplin

Vincent Vega

ha. you know a while back there was this silkworms contest going in the musicians section. well, i did a country sorta version of silkworms (no guitars or anything. just me singing solo. i called it, a bitch like you) and it sounded a lot like mercedes benz. true! i was so embarrassed!

Edited by darkstar_legend

I actually find her really sexy and attractive, in looks and otherwise. :book:

Ditto.

The woman is pretty much perfect in my mind.

She was a total bitch to guys she dated though.

He music is just, so raw and emotional and heartfelt. She got bullied terribly at school coz of being fat and spotty - probably why she was such a great blues singer. Miserable!

Interesting fact, her friends told she had a great voice. She told them to fuck off :lol:

Love her :wub:

xDSGx

random correction: she never dated Jim Morrison. ever. it was alleged and then fairly unanimously rennounced. what definitely did happen with her and Jim Morrison by a lot of accounts though was when they met one day at a party and got along great when by all accounts, for no apparent reason ol' Jimbo took it upon himself to start dragging her around the whole dancefloor by her hair in circles. she promptly left and returned with a broken bottle of Southern Comfort looking to kill Ol' James Douglas Morrison. pointless little story really but there ya go ;)

Edited by ffrankwhite

random correction: she never dated Jim Morrison. ever. it was alleged and then fairly unanimously rennounced. what definitely did happen with her and Jim Morrison by a lot of accounts though was when they met one day at a party and got along great when by all accounts, for no apparent reason ol' Jimbo took it upon himself to start dragging her around the whole dancefloor by her hair in circles. she promptly left and returned with a broken bottle of Southern Comfort looking to kill Ol' James Douglas Morrison. pointless little story really but there ya go ;)

Interesting story. Imagine if they had been together though, what kind of kids they could've made.

Jim's and Janis' later material is pretty similar in style. I find the song Me and Bobby McGee and the song LA Woman to have a similar raw, upbeat yet bluesy tune, from two beautiful artists not long before they died.

Random fact: Mercedes Benz was recorded only a few days before she died.

Edited by Honky Chateau

• 2 years later...

Janis is great. i used to not be a huge fan, but eventually she started to grow on me and now I adore her. i don't think there'll be anyone like her ever again. What a voice

and she dated Morrison for a bit?? I had no idea.....Niiiiiiice :thumbsup:

Guest Len B'stard

I remember watching Gonzo: The Life & Work of Hunter S Thompson and they use piece of my heart as the soundtrack to the bit where they show footage of the infamous Democratic National Convention in Chicago and Hunter talks about how it was "the American Dream clubbing itself to death" and the song seemed to work so well in that context and come across as so impassioned. I kinda sought her out as well as this documentary called The Way She Was i think, anyway, its really good and SHE'S really good but yeah...that song REALLY worked in that context, the basic gist was that Hunter invested his heart and soul in the American Dream and...watching this scene, this riot, these police brutalising civilians, it made him cry and "Hunter was not a man who cried" and then that song interpersed with images of the riot...wow.

Maybe its cuz i was drunk when i was watching it, i dunno :lol:

and she dated Morrison for a bit?? I had no idea.....Niiiiiiice

They fucked i think, i don't think they dated. I read about this thing where they were at the same club or something and they were both drunk (being notorious alkies) and getting along famously and the next thing everyone knew Morrison was dragging her in circles by the hair around the dancefloor...she was later seen with a broken bottle of Southern Comfort looking to dust Jimbo off...well played Jim, ever the gentleman :rolleyes:

Edited by sugaraylen

• 1 month later...