Rolling Stones definitive biography

ffrankwhite

yeah...Rolling with the Stones is quite good.

Got the hardcover first edition on a clearout at Chapters for twenty bucks!

sidenote: (Also at Chapters got a fucking giant hardcover book that feels like it weighs 20 pounds called Anyway Anyhow Anywhere..The Complete Chronicle of the Who 1958-1978..retailed for,like, 90 bucks...got it for 10 bucks!)

"According to the Rolling Stones" I liked as well....and Bill Wyman's Stone Alone was great.

It's Only Rock n Roll is a really good tid bits of info book...release dates etc.

(far from complete though)

Also at Chapters got a fucking giant hardcover book that feels like it weighs 20 pounds called Anyway Anyhow Anywhere..The Complete Chronicle of the Who 1958-1978..retailed for,like, 90 bucks...got it for 10 bucks

holy shit..

Also at Chapters got a fucking giant hardcover book that feels like it weighs 20 pounds called Anyway Anyhow Anywhere..The Complete Chronicle of the Who 1958-1978..retailed for,like, 90 bucks...got it for 10 bucks

holy shit..

yeah!!!

it's FUCKING AMAZING!!!

holy shit..

yeah!!!

it's FUCKING AMAZING!!!

im fuckin gettin it...if its the last thing i do im gettin it...

Get the hardcover (there is a paperback version but...meh)

You can get it brand new for 38 bucks through Amazon (they have used copies too)

link

A completely revised and updated edition of the best book written on one of the world''s greatest, and most explosive, rock bands: The Who. Organized by year, it has all the most current information about the band''s classic years from 1958--1978."650 images...capture The Who''s journey from raucous r&b interpreters to roiling rockers..."--The Washington PostThe Who put on one of the most astounding stage shows ever seen (culminating in a blaze of smashed-up instruments) and took popular …+ read more

A completely revised and updated edition of the best book written on one of the world''s greatest, and most explosive, rock bands: The Who. Organized by year, it has all the most current information about the band''s classic years from 1958--1978.

"650 images...capture The Who''s journey from raucous r&b interpreters to roiling rockers..."--The Washington Post

The Who put on one of the most astounding stage shows ever seen (culminating in a blaze of smashed-up instruments) and took popular music to new heights with the first rock opera. Together, songwriter Pete Townshend, sexy lead singer Roger Daltrey, guitarist John Entwhistle, and drumming wild man Keith Moon redefined rock. Here, in a series of day-to-day diaries brimming with enthusiasm, thoroughness, and fresh information, is the tale of their performing career. The authors gained rare access to various official archives, many not viewed before; to friends and associates (some of whom had never spoken publicly about their relationship with the group); and to Pete, Roger, and John themselves. Three hundred photos capture the charismatic band, Daltrey has contributed a foreword, and the diaries recount club dates, TV appearances, auditions, and recordings. No Who fan can do without this unprecedented and engrossing look at the band.

Get the hardcover (there is a paperback version but...meh)

You can get it brand new for 38 bucks through Amazon (they have used copies too)

link

A completely revised and updated edition of the best book written on one of the world''s greatest, and most explosive, rock bands: The Who. Organized by year, it has all the most current information about the band''s classic years from 1958--1978."650 images...capture The Who''s journey from raucous r&b interpreters to roiling rockers..."--The Washington PostThe Who put on one of the most astounding stage shows ever seen (culminating in a blaze of smashed-up instruments) and took popular …+ read more

A completely revised and updated edition of the best book written on one of the world''s greatest, and most explosive, rock bands: The Who. Organized by year, it has all the most current information about the band''s classic years from 1958--1978.

"650 images...capture The Who''s journey from raucous r&b interpreters to roiling rockers..."--The Washington Post

The Who put on one of the most astounding stage shows ever seen (culminating in a blaze of smashed-up instruments) and took popular music to new heights with the first rock opera. Together, songwriter Pete Townshend, sexy lead singer Roger Daltrey, guitarist John Entwhistle, and drumming wild man Keith Moon redefined rock. Here, in a series of day-to-day diaries brimming with enthusiasm, thoroughness, and fresh information, is the tale of their performing career. The authors gained rare access to various official archives, many not viewed before; to friends and associates (some of whom had never spoken publicly about their relationship with the group); and to Pete, Roger, and John themselves. Three hundred photos capture the charismatic band, Daltrey has contributed a foreword, and the diaries recount club dates, TV appearances, auditions, and recordings. No Who fan can do without this unprecedented and engrossing look at the band.

thanx man :):) the one on ebay was like 30 bucks..thank you!! "drumming wild man Keith Moon" fuckin damn right!!! :D:D:D

Did you buy it?

not yet but i jus called my cousin whoose gonna do it for me and im gonna give her the money :):) so yeah, i guess i kinda have by now, she's at work and i told her the name n how its on amazon and...yeah, done deal :) not the stones one though...yet..

abit off topic, but has anyone seen GIMME SHELTER?

wow, one of the most shocking musical documentaries I've seen.

superb stuff.

Is it worth seeing even if I'm not that into the Stones? I have Forty Licks but that's it.

superb stuff.

Is it worth seeing even if I'm not that into the Stones? I have Forty Licks but that's it.

i think it is...its a really interesting documentry. all of that Death of Flower Power, tide turning stuff is a bit much but its definitely an interesting document of a time. its weird how...mythology sort of...can color an occurance i mean...i think by that time festivals, THESE festivals, Monterey and Woodstock and Isle of Wight and everything...they were great and everything but...i get the impression that history was so blinkered about them and so...y'know, just whitewashing the entire recollection of them into like...paradise on earth that...when the truth of it (the truth being that theres good AND bad aspects, just like with everything) comes/came to light it sort of soured people on them. and Altamont just took the whole fuckin thing in the opposite direction. there are parts of that video that just make the whole thing seem so fucking sinister...loss of innocence and y'know, Death of the 60s is more of the journalistic tosh that caused the problem in the first place, its way too fucking neat y'know...things are never that clear cut..but it works, it fits, it fits a romanticists view of history and works beautifully. even more beautifully for conservative America when coupled with the Manson murders and all of that as like, exposing the Hippie thing in their eyes y'know when the truth is they'd made their minds up a long time ago anyway.

i remember the term "psychedilic concentration" camp being bought up somewhere in regards to somethin someone said at Isle of Wight by Pete Townshend and Murray Whatshisface. 600,000 people in one place...thats a lot of bodies. verging on something incredible but in their own ways, for people who look to them for something that more than what they were thats (again, romanticised) an interesting observation.

Edited by ffrankwhite

superb stuff.

yes it is, I made a friend of mine watch it who's into dance and rnb.. his jaw was dropped throughout the entire showing.

my respect grew even further for the stones after watching that. Playing a free concert in those conditions, they really had no obligation to carry on but they did.

the film centres around a main ocurrence, but if you know nothing about it then I wont spoil it for you, you should definitely pick it up, or download it even.

Edited by SolidSnake

im about 40 pages short of finishing According To The Stones....REALLY cool book, just the kind of thing i was looking for, all band interviews and no nonsense. Wyman was kinda conspicious with his absence.

Do have one gripe though...

everyone of those little pre-chapter opener writers kept fucking ragging on the beatles...was that really fuckin necessary?!?! The fucking band themselves didnt do it so whats these assholes problem? i understand, it kinda lends a bit of context but some of them or at least one of them was going a bit too far. they kept starting off like that, ragging The Beatles...the very fact that, from a compositional point of view, they feel the need to...i mean its almost like the rolling stones standing in music history is relative to where they were in relation to the Beatles which is silly. maybe im just a bit too big a beatles fan and took it a bit personal but fuck me, it was a bit....y'know, they most ALL were doing it, some of them worser than others.

That said im REALLY motivated to see how the stones output was post Goats Head Soup (latest Stones album i've heard, not heard any after that). AMAZING book though i enjoyed it and am enjoying it incredibly, thank you for the reccomendation. Wish they had better documentries on it though, like a Stones equivlent to the beatles anthology, i'd LOVE that and im sure others would too :)

whats that 40 Licks dvd set like? any old footage in it? :):) and Shine A Light too (says it has some old footage but how much?) i REALLY wanna see some old footage, i have gimme shelter and cocksucker blues and the stones in the park and the who's, excuse me, the ROLLING STONES rock n roll circus...what else is out there thats REALLY good?? they're career is crying out for a definitive Beatles Anthology type documentry. but then again i guess their careers aint over, they're still around and touring. then again so is A Who (as opposed to The Who).

Edited by ffrankwhite

i saw this one dvd somewhere and it was called the swinging 60s, it was some dvd about the brian jones era stones and it was some 70 minutes long, i really wanted to buy it but i was afraid it'd be like that one of those unauthorised no footage having pieces of shit...anyone seen it? i think might've been called Brian Jones and The Rolling Stones..