The "Ask for recommendations" thread!

Gods Favourite

Looking for a good grunge/alternative rock band to get into. Preferably one not that popular that I haven't heard of, as I've heard most mainstream ones. Any recommendations?

Mad Season

Mother Love Bone

Malfunkshun

Green River

Temple of the Dog

Love Battery

Brad

L7

Afghan Whigs

Three Fish

The Melvins

Skin Yard

Hammerbox

TAD

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually that might be one of his faves. I think it is. I don't remember now. :/

Heh, yeah they are. In fact, my name is after one of their albums, "Superfuzz Bigmuff". Thanks anyway stevGNR.

Looking for a good grunge/alternative rock band to get into. Preferably one not that popular that I haven't heard of, as I've heard most mainstream ones. Any recommendations?

screaming trees.

they deserve way more love than what they get. and some of mark lanegan's solo stuff is just as worth checking out.

I remember listening to one of their albums after I heard Lanegan on QOTSA's Songs for the Deaf. I always meant to get into them more, but I just sort of forgot about them over time. Thanks for reminding me, I'll try and listen to a few of their other albums.

Mad Season

Mother Love Bone

Malfunkshun

Green River

Temple of the Dog

Love Battery

Brad

L7

Afghan Whigs

Three Fish

The Melvins

Skin Yard

Hammerbox

TAD

Wow, there's quite a few there I haven't listened to yet. Thanks, Lith!

A genre I kinda hate with a passion, but check out the scene in Sweden, I hear they have a lot of sleaze/hard rock bands.

Yeah, there's lots of sleaze rock bands around here, and surprisingly many are better than lots of the stuff released in the 80s. My brother likes this type of music so I know a bit about them... I'd begin with Backyard Babies, Hardcore Superstar (self-titled album) and CrashDïet (first album). Those are the best of those I've heard, after that there's plenty of other bands but they're not as good.

what are some good acoustic artists/albums to check out? i know jack johnson is really popular, but i've never taken the time to listen to his stuff and i only know one song.

and also some house/techno??

Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall

As for house/techno - Daft Punk is a pretty good place to start.

Check out Nick Drake, Elliott Smith and Iron & Wine for the acoustic stuff. And if you want a really weird, psychedelic/folk thing, download My People Were Fair by Tyrannosaurus Rex. Really cool album with lots of interesting sounds.

thanks, i really like iron & wine :)

what are some good acoustic artists/albums to check out? i know jack johnson is really popular, but i've never taken the time to listen to his stuff and i only know one song.

Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall

As for house/techno - Daft Punk is a pretty good place to start.

thanks, i'll check them out :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP5fBx8JLoQ

I wonder if this dude has ever listened to Creed before?

What a total ripoff, this is something I highly DON"T RECOMMEnd!

Pop in some Creed, not generic phoneys

Or just listen to Pearl Jam, the band Creed wish they were as good as?

personally, I'll take Creed over Pearl Jam, but that don't mean I'm a huge Creed fan, it was just

that stupid video ticked me off, that song ...to me.......... sounds just like something CREED WOULD DO.

and, for certain, a lot better.

A genre I kinda hate with a passion, but check out the scene in Sweden, I hear they have a lot of sleaze/hard rock bands.

Yeah, there's lots of sleaze rock bands around here, and surprisingly many are better than lots of the stuff released in the 80s. My brother likes this type of music so I know a bit about them... I'd begin with Backyard Babies, Hardcore Superstar (self-titled album) and CrashDïet (first album). Those are the best of those I've heard, after that there's plenty of other bands but they're not as good.

cheers pal, il definately check some of those out in the next few days

joseph arthur has some really good acoustic stuff, air traffic too

and try pendulum...ithink that falls under all that house stuff

I've been really into The Libertines lately. Can you guys recommend anything in that direction?

If you haven't checked them out, take a look at Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty Things since it's Pete Doherty and Carl Barat's bands after the break-up. They're not as good as The Libertines but they've got their moments...

• 2 weeks later...