Gibon Les Paul Slash Goldtop model

Hi guys, I need your expert opinion. I'm saving money to buy a Gibon Les Paul. Owning the Slash Goldtop model one day is like a dream for me, I'm in love with that guitar. Unfortunately, I'm like the 40-year old virgin when it comes to playing guitar. I still need to take my 1st guitar lesson and I believe I learned 1 chord myself, or 2....if the second one is chord, and some powerchords (I think). Anyway, I'm a huge Slash fan and I am very determined to learn playing guitar. Could someone tell me if the Les Paul Slash Goldtop model is any good compared to other Les Pauls? Or is it just a commercial rip off? And more important, would it be any good for an amateur like me? Thanks!!!

I don't know I never played one. I have played the original sunburst Slash signature and one tried the Epiphone snakepit model. But DON'T get it just because Slash used it. I got an ESP Kirk Hammett signature model but not just because I am a huge Metallica fan. I got it because it had original EMG 81 pickups, not the ESP crap LH-300 sets, an original floyd rose, 24 frets, the neck was comfy, it had a super strat body design I liked, the sound is phenomenal and plus the skull inlays were cool. It had everything I wanted on there (comfy neck, floyd rose, emg pickups 24 frets, strat body design).

Here's my advice

Get a guitar that is comfy for you.

Make sure it's a design you like. If you hate it you won't play it.

Make sure that it also has good sound and tone. You don't want to get a guitar with a radical design and find out you have to tune it eery five minutes.

If you don't do all those three steps, you'll regret it. If the Slash model has all steps I said above go for it! If not then I would reconsider.

I've played a gold-top and as far as the feel goes, it's pretty much your run of the mill Les Paul.

Slash is right when he says the neck-pickup puts out long sustaining blues notes, but I'm able to mimic that same sustain by playing my PRS through a valve amp and using a wah that's slightly depressed to color the tone and add some depth.

I wouldn't buy it unless your filthy rich or are in love with Les Pauls.

In short, stay the hell away if you're an amatuer.

Edited by appetite4illusions

i wouldnt spend the money on a slash sig, if you want a gibson les paul then try either the standard or the traditional and save yourself some money, slash used les paul standards until he got his sig guitars made for him, doesnt matter if you are new to guitar or not if you want a gibson then get one, im shit on guitar and i have a gibson :D

Get a guitar you like - not one your idol plays. If you want a Les Paul, far enough - but check out the massive difference between the fat 50's neck and 60's neck before choosing. Its great to get a decent guitar to practice on, but don't go overboard for something you really don't need for double (or even treble) the price.

Thanks for the usefull advice, everyone!!!

I'm not filthy rich, I just put everything that involved spending money aside for the last couple of months in order to realise my dream of owning a Les Paul. The 3 steps Death Star mentioned work for me, but given the other advise of Max, SN, and A4I, I will defenately check out the other Les Paul models as well before making my final decision. In short, I'm not limiting my choise to the Slash model anymore.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Guys, I checked out some other Les Paul guitars, and for me it comes down to these:

-Standard: USD 2,400

-Supreme: USD 3,700

-Slash Goldtop: USD 2,950

I checked the prices with gibson.com and it seems that the 3 guitars I mentioned are a lot cheaper here in The Netherlands. The sound from the Standard and the Supreme is amazing, and after some thoughts I even came to like the classic sunburst design much more than the goldtop which doesn't show the wood structure.

Do you think it is a good investment to spend the extra money on the Supreme, keeping in mind these guitars keep their value over the years. I mean, the standard is more mass production, and will loose more value compared to the supreme. What do you think???

Guys, I checked out some other Les Paul guitars, and for me it comes down to these:

-Standard: USD 2,400

-Supreme: USD 3,700

-Slash Goldtop: USD 2,950

I checked the prices with gibson.com and it seems that the 3 guitars I mentioned are a lot cheaper here in The Netherlands. The sound from the Standard and the Supreme is amazing, and after some thoughts I even came to like the classic sunburst design much more than the goldtop which doesn't show the wood structure.

Do you think it is a good investment to spend the extra money on the Supreme, keeping in mind these guitars keep their value over the years. I mean, the standard is more mass production, and will loose more value compared to the supreme. What do you think???

go for whatever one you like best, i wouldnt worry about what holds its price better, most gibsons will hold a good resale price, i see 2nd hand standards going for £1000 in the uk and you can buy the standard new for about £1300