Post your Scott Weiland Happy In Galoshes review

Subtle Signs

Just finished the album. It is eclectic like 12 Bar Blues but I think there are at least 2-3 singles from this one. I was surprised Weiland didn't thank STP in the credits. Yeah, I don't know why someone would get the 1 disc version,while this one is on sale. For 3 bucks more you get an extra disc of songs (not remixes,I think he wanted this to be a 2 disc album originally) a 16 page booklet and a free Weiland T shirt. Favorite tracks so far are Missing Cleveland,Blind Confusion and Big Black Monster. On disc two I like Pictures & Computers (I'm not Superman)

Four Stars!

Not for everyone and it definitely needs multiple listens to be appreciated. Fans of STP will find at least a few songs they like and this is as as Weiland said the artistic side as he has done more than enough commercial work with STP.

Edited by rancid punks

Just finished the album. It is eclectic like 12 Bar Blues but I think there are at least 2-3 singles from this one. I was surprised Weiland didn't thank STP in the credits. Yeah, I don't know why someone would get the 1 disc version,while this one is on sale. For 3 bucks more you get an extra disc of songs (not remixes,I think he wanted this to be a 2 disc album originally) a 16 page booklet and a free Weiland T shirt. Favorite tracks so far are Missing Cleveland,Blind Confusion and Big Black Monster. On disc two I like Pictures & Computers (I'm not Superman)

Four Stars!

Not for everyone and it definitely needs multiple listens to be appreciated. Fans of STP will find at least a few songs they like and this is as as Weiland said the artistic side as he has done more than enough commercial work with STP.

From what I've heard, all the best songs are on the 1 disc version. Those 4 songs you mentioned are. I had the 1 disc sent to me a while ago, I might buy the special edition though. I like Killing Me Sweetly & Beautiful Day the most.

EDIT: there's 3 threads about Scott on this page (1 about the deluxe edition, 1 with a review, and 1 about his AMA appearance). Why couldn't this just be put into one of them?

Edited by mr. orangestone

I guess I'll do a half-assed review of the album. I'll only do the first disc for now, since I'm tired and can't be arsed to do the other one.

1. Missing Cleveland

Pretty straightforward song. Catchy chorus, simple chord progression, but most of all, it has really good lyrics. They're not cryptic, they're not mindblowing, as I mentioned before, they're very straightforward and enjoyable. 9/10

2. Tangle With Your Mind

The first thing I noticed about this song is that the vocals sound somewhat Dylan-ish. One of the few songs on the album with a country feel to it, as well (another one being The Man I Didn't Know on disc 2). If you're a fan of banjos, you'll cream yourself while listening to this song. They even have a cute lil' banjo solo. From what I can tell, the song is about Mary and their troubles in the relationship. Not really anything outstanding about the song, but it's still above average and I enjoy it every time it's played. 8/10

3. Blind Confusion

One of my favourites off the whole album. One of the faster songs on the first disc, it doesn't disappoint with its catchy chorus and equally catchy guitars. The guitar playing reminds me of something off of an indie album (don't worry, if you hate indie music, the actual song as a whole sounds nothing like indie). I think this would be the next perfect single for Scott, and seeing it do quite well on the charts. 10/10

4. Paralysis

Another one of my favourites. The obvious Bowie influence makes this song a must for any Bowie fan. Most definitely the lyrics are about Scott and Mary breaking up, with lines like "Smoked my last cigarette, took a look at the bed, the one that we called home". I'm not entirely sure if this was the first single or not, but if it was, it was a good decision. Very open for many people to listen to and enjoy. The chorus isn't anything special at first, but give it a few more listens and I can guarantee you'll fall in love with it. 9.5/10

5. She Sold Her System

A slow, laid-back song that's one of the highlights of the first disc. Reminds me of something STP would do in the Shangri-La era. The one thing I don't like about the song is the use of drum machines. Don't get me wrong, it actually fits in with the song wonderfully, giving it a somewhat R&B feel. I just think it might've sound better with real drums in place of the drum machines. This is one of the few songs on the first disc that caught my attention on the first play, and I've loved it ever since. 9/10

6. Blister On Your Soul

After the relaxing melody of SSHS, things kick up again with Blister. I've noticed on a lot of songs on this album that Scotts vocals can be pretty low, but it never really bothered me until this song. Most of the lyrics are pretty much ineligible because of the instruments drowning Scott out. This is supposed to be a Weiland album, right? Then how come we can't HEAR him? I dunno, it could just be me. Besides that little annoyance, the song is another highlight of the album. Another song of his with a catchy chorus that could possibly do well as a single. The guitars on this also have a somewhat indie feel to them. Again, not a bad thing. The occasional "ay-ay-ayeeeeeee" in the background can be somewhat irritating, but compare it to the "AY-O, AY-O, AY-O" on Scraped (GN'R), and it's not so bad. (Sorry, but I hate that about Scraped). 8.5/10

7. Fame

What's this? Did I just turn on some Nelly by mistake? Nope, that's just the opening to Scott's cover of Bowies "Fame". I'm not bullshitting, the beginning is beatboxing and and drum machine beats. And yes, they repeat throughout the whole song. Don't fret, though... overall, the song isn't that bad. Scotts vocals are great, with a hint of Bowie, but still keeping Weilands signature tone. You've got to hand it to him for trying new things out with this hip-hop influenced beat rather than just rehashing the original. All in all, it's obviously not as good as the original but still stands tall next to it. 8/10

8. Killing Me Sweetly

Are you a fan of 12 Bar Blues? If so, you'll love this song. It sounds like an extra song that couldn't fit onto that album. I'm not sure if this song is about Mary or Scotts son, Noah. Could be both. Either way, the lyrics tell whoever he's singing to he loves dearly, "Please don't change, I'll never be the same. You are the apple of my life, you are the sun that gave me life". I really enjoy the acoustic guitar on this song. Sort of reminds me of "More Than Words" by Extreme. The song has grown on me significantly. If I were to rate the song when I first heard it, it would probably have gotten a 6/10. Now, though, I'll give it a 8.5/10

9. Big Black Monster

Speaking of 12 Bar Blues, say hello to Desperation No. 5....... Part 2. And yes, that's a good thing. With distorted bass, drum machines, and out of place keyboarding, the only way I can describe the song is a "beautiful mess". The chorus is very simple, which makes it easier for it to be stuck in your head all day. One of the more accessible songs on the album, and also one of the highlights. 9.5/10

10. Beautiful Day

I can't say enough good things about this song. My favourite off disc 1 and possibly the whole album. Reminds me A LOT of "Lady, Your Roof Brings Me Down" off of 12 Bar Blues. The lyrics describe a sense of aimlessness and confusion without being too straightforward about it. It honestly sounds like something a drunken guy would sing in the 60's at a bar with a house band. I can see how most people might not like the song as much as me, there's something about it that sticks out for me. A perfect ending to disc 1, harmonizing "Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful daaaaaaaaaaay". 10/10

Overall, I'd give Disc 1 an 8.75/10. I'd recommend it if you were a big fan of 12 Bar Blues or even like the slower songs STP have done.

Recommended downloads: Paralysis, Big Black Monster, Blind Confusion, Beautiful Day.

Edited by Superfuzz