Minor Threat

dirtylenny

The more and more i listen to this band the more i come to realise things about them that...if not escaped me then things that i forget everytime i put the CD back in the case. Its very easy to sorta label them as a kind of one trick pony and everything but...theres something to be said for that whole regimented thing, the speed of it, the stripped down nature of the music, to me its almost like conceptual art, a flawless representation of youth.

The recorded output, for a bunch of 16/17 year olds is fucking astonishing, the production value in the midst of a lot of the more ragged Hardcore offering (which are not to be ignored either) is really something else.

The fucking rage of the songs, the passion in them, the way these kids throw their fucking heart and soul out at you onstage, its like an exorcism almost...and these are like normal kids, they dont have that other world quality that "stars" have or attempt to put across. Aggressively passionate and unflinching and...y'know, songs like "Guilty of Being White"...thats a pretty astute observation on racism, the kind of blunt lyrical quality, like a kid who only knows one way to say what he means, the plain way, the straight ahead way.

And that whole Straight Edge thing, now where it aint for me you gotta admire the fucking guts of someone to come up with that and totally break from the mould of what the whole sex drugs and rock n roll thing has been selling us. Its really a shot in the arm to so called "artists" with their "its about the music" schtick. Its like fine, you want it to be about the music? Well here it is, this is how it fucking goes.

The courage it must take to...seperate yourself from everything and anything and forge your own place by hook or by crook, to sit up all night folding and packing thousands of your own singles and putting them out there on your own label, getting your voice out there, saying what you gotta say cuz you KNOW it needs to be heard, if only by a few.

Thats something special...like that you could take on the world.

any fans?

I'm alright with them. Coming out of the 80's Boston Hardcore scene, we were pretty anti-dc and new york, so Minor Threat didn't get alot of plays around my neighborhood. When we wanted the edge, we had SSD.

But yeah, they have some great tracks, Minor Threat, Bottled Violence, Straightedge.

Are you into the Teen Idles at all? They're Ian's old band before MT

I'm alright with them. Coming out of the 80's Boston Hardcore scene, we were pretty anti-dc and new york, so Minor Threat didn't get alot of plays around my neighborhood. When we wanted the edge, we had SSD.

But yeah, they have some great tracks, Minor Threat, Bottled Violence, Straightedge.

Are you into the Teen Idles at all? They're Ian's old band before MT

not a lot there to like as far as i know, just the one EP i heard, liked it though, pretty fuckin neat :)

Honestly, I see Minor Threat as the most important punk band ever next to The Ramones and possibly Black Flag. Ian wrote some of the most aggressive, yet beautifully intelligent punk lyrics other than Brett and Greg's lyrics for Bad Religion. The Straight Edge lifestyle somehow outlived any Straight Edge bands, but it's almost pathetic to see the state of the Straight Edge movement today (Walking around in basketball jerseys that read "XXX STRAIGHT EDGE XXX" and beating the shit out of people who want to live their lives differently is not Straight Edge). I can't stand people that have to go around fucking advertising they are Straight Edge, when odds are almost none of them could tell you how Straight Edge started.

They were all awesome musicians, but the one who still stands out to me is Brian Baker, he wrote some of the coolest punk bass lines ever (Filler, anyone?) and in my ex-hardcore band he was a major influence on my bass style. Ian portrays anger in his voice better than anyone, and you can truly feel the anger he puts into his lyrics.

I made a thread a while back about how much I loved Minor Threat and all I got was a few "Well, Fugazi is way better..." responses, but glad to see I'm not the only fan on here. Now excuse me, I'm gonna go watch the 9:30 Club DVD ;)

I agree with the sentiments of Frank's post. Not much more I can add really, I do often forget how good they were.

Honestly, I see Minor Threat as the most important punk band ever next to The Ramones and possibly Black Flag. Ian wrote some of the most aggressive, yet beautifully intelligent punk lyrics other than Brett and Greg's lyrics for Bad Religion. The Straight Edge lifestyle somehow outlived any Straight Edge bands, but it's almost pathetic to see the state of the Straight Edge movement today (Walking around in basketball jerseys that read "XXX STRAIGHT EDGE XXX" and beating the shit out of people who want to live their lives differently is not Straight Edge). I can't stand people that have to go around fucking advertising they are Straight Edge, when odds are almost none of them could tell you how Straight Edge started.

They were all awesome musicians, but the one who still stands out to me is Brian Baker, he wrote some of the coolest punk bass lines ever (Filler, anyone?) and in my ex-hardcore band he was a major influence on my bass style. Ian portrays anger in his voice better than anyone, and you can truly feel the anger he puts into his lyrics.

I made a thread a while back about how much I loved Minor Threat and all I got was a few "Well, Fugazi is way better..." responses, but glad to see I'm not the only fan on here. Now excuse me, I'm gonna go watch the 9:30 Club DVD ;)

Haha, those Fugazi comments might have been mine. I apologise if thats the impression you got from me if it was, I do like Minor Threat a lot but I've just always seen Fugazi as a natural progression from Minor Threat. But I digress, thats another topic.