What's your favourite Bob Dylan album?

Shuffle

Guest deleted_19765

It's probably Blood on the Tracks for me, but I'm really starting to appreciate Time Out of Mind and the rest of Dylan's recent albums. He's never really declined.

My absolute favorite Dylan cd though, is a live album. And that's The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: The Royal Albert Hall Concert.

Perfection in every way.

That album has an absolutely mindblowing version of Visions of Johanna.

Come to think of it, that's probably one of the best songs ever recorded.

Highway 61 Revisited is one of the best rock albums ever. I just think it's something you can't help but listen from beginning to end.

Bringing It All Back Home - It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) and It's All Over Now Baby Blue? Maggie's Farm?

Blonde on Blonde - this is sort of the genesis of The Band. If you think that he's just talking about getting stoned... Just Like a Woman is pretty nasty, it could've been his final statement had he kept burning the candle at both ends. When you see the footage from "No Direction Home", from the time he plugged in at Newport to being completely burned out in England in '66, it reminded me of how crazy things were for GNR in the early 90s.... Dylan also had a manager on his ass to keep him out on the road or recording... He was 25 when he finished "Blonde on Blonde". He could've retired from music altogether and never played another note, just on the songs he's written would've been set for life.

Blood on the Tracks is like fine wine, I don't think that it hits you until you've gone through a relationship and a breakup... it takes an added dimension. Another one you have to listen to from beginning to end, and the NY Session Bootleg is worth a listen because it's slightly different. Some people like it better.

Desire - completely underrated, and just like when he recorded "Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" he wrote about people in the news at that time - The Hurricane Carter and gangster Joey Gallo .

Freewheelin' is the one that put him on the map. Blowin in the Wind, Don't Think Twice, Masters of War

Live 1964, Live 1966 and Live 1975 are all great, all different phases and very different from each other.

Also the Complete Basement Tapes... the 2 album/CD set is ok, but you hear Dylan in a transition and The Band coming up with some great songs. You can find some of it on different Dylan/Band collections outside of "Basement Tapes". It's also where you find "I Shall Be Released" (part of the bootleg series officially..kind of an oxymoron).

The "Christian era" should be revisited because it's easy for a newer listener to be able to listen to those songs.

The later era stuff- Oh Mercy I like a lot..have to go Wilburys because Monkey and the Tweeter Man is one of his best songs. Good As I Been To You goes back to his folk roots, and definitely Time Out Of Mind and Modern Times are good. Plus the recent Bootleg Series disc is great, too.

The books he's written - Tarantula is a poetry book that's kind of worth reading once and forgotten about. There's a recent one where he contributed to a coffeetable book, the Lyrics book, and of course Chronicles. The audio book has Sean Penn narrating.

DVD - Other Side of the Mirror - put all the Newport concerts together. Great stuff.

No Direction Home. Should own it... it explains WHY Dylan was held in high regard and why he's considered important. Without him, I don't know if rock music would've been taken serious as an art form. Dylan caused the Beatles to write better, to turn Leonard Cohen into a singer-songwriter, had thousands of imitators, influenced a generation, was right there when Martin Luther King did his "I Had a Dream" speech, inspires world leaders, presidents, kings and even though he's Jewish showed up for the Pope) and still manages to get out and tour even though he definitely doesn't need to (and some fans feel that he probably should call it a day, because he does do hit and miss shows).

The concert with Tom Petty, has him playing the older songs as well as he did with The Band.

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Masked and Anonymous... even the cameo on Dharma and Greg was pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...