Guitarist thread

damian 1200

John Mayer deserves more credit than he gets, imo, among "guitar circles."

John Mayer gets a lot of credit among "guitar circles."

Really? I guess the "circles" I was exposed to were the exception. We can stop using quotes right about now.

I posted that after reading a dissertation on a guitar forum on why John Mayer is not, cannot, and will never be a blues musician. Some people take this stuff seriously :D.

Yeah, it's most likely just where you are. I go to Berklee College of Music & John Mayer came here for 2 semesters so he's kind of dubbed a "Berklee guy" so he gets some love around here. Most of the hardcore blues guys do just label him a SRV rip-off though. Pop/rock fans love him though. Even metal guys tend to like him, which I find weird. I'm not a fan. He seems like a dick & he isn't original. I've seen some great solos done by him, but like 75% of his songs are just bad.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I guess the "circles" I was exposed to were the exception. We can stop using quotes right about now.

I posted that after reading a dissertation on a guitar forum on why John Mayer is not, cannot, and will never be a blues musician. Some people take this stuff seriously :D.

Yeah, it's most likely just where you are. I go to Berklee College

That's cool, do you play guitar? What exactly do you learn at a music college, anyway? Really in depth theory and stuff?

Edited by Ant

Yeah, it's most likely just where you are. I go to Berklee College

That's cool, do you play guitar? What exactly do you learn at a music college, anyway? Really in depth theory and stuff?

Yeah I'm a guitarist. I'm only in 3rd semester so I'm not taking any major-related classes now (I'd like to go either music production & engineering or film scoring, but they have great music business/songwriting/performance etc) but yeah, it's a lot of theory/harmony, counterpoint, ear training, guitar labs, software-related tech stuff. It's great. I've learned more about music in the past year than in my 7 years of playing guitar. You learn TONS about the industry too & how to break in within different careers, and it's great for networking/finding an internship etc.

Steve Vai - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q940dtOoM0Y - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdM00IbLyro...feature=related

Joe Satriani-

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OK7sS855M

Frank Zappa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OK7sS855M

Slash

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

B.B King

so many awesome guitarists that i don't have he time to list.

2976241710_2fa3bb455b.jpg

When it comes to guitars, nobody does it better than Brian May (in my opinion of course)

Always plays with such elegance, and his solos always work within the songs and elevate them to another level. His tone is arguably the best guitar tone of any player, and he's done numerous things with his Red Special that's just wonderful.

Saw Queen+Paul Rodgers live at Wembley in november last year, and his playing blew me away.

I'm a big fan of yours, Greg Cock. I'd venture so far as to say your songs are better than Sweet Child O' Mine!

I'm not sure if you're making fun or what. What are you trying to say? Greg KOCH is a guitarist I said I like so I don't understand what you're getting at.

I never claimed to be better than sweet child... That is a reflection of how I feel currently of the two GnR songs! And yes, I realize SCOM is a HUGE song but as I put in another topic, I'm sick of it!

If you were actually saying you like Greg than cool and I appologize for not getting that!

Anywho, ON TOPIC, that was a list of people I like that's all!

I already see Brian May mentions......gahhhh

The tone of almost every song he does, makes me want to vomit. He probably is the King of shitty tone.

oh my god, it just goes through me :lol: Even his awkward stage presence annoys me

I already see Brian May mentions......gahhhh

The tone of almost every song he does, makes me want to vomit. He probably is the King of shitty tone.

oh my god, it just goes through me :lol: Even his awkward stage presence annoys me

His tone?! Stage presence?

:confused:

His tone is fantastic! Absolutely stellar.

Just listen to the lead in this.