Guitarist thread

damian 1200

michio kurihara's collab with boris is ill, and i've got love for acid mother's temple.

and li jiahong's "san sheng shi" is either mind-blowing or mind-melting--in any case, an interesting and beautiful piece of music. fucking china.

I youtubed the li jiahong song, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get what I was supposed to...can you help out with that broseph?

http://giraffe-kingdom.blogspot.com/2008/1...-sheng-shi.html

Nice one, thanks man, seems like some pretty cool, strange, but cool stuff(checkin the myspace)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuckin Billy Gibbons too, what a player. He's got such a bluesy, groovy feel for every solo he pulls out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wNfmpYrb8...feature=related - listen to that tone

Now I think of it, Jimmy Reed. And it's obvious to all but Hendrix - that fifteen minute version of Voodoo Child on Electric Ladyland is great.

Edited by Snake Eyes

There's a guy Greg Koch, he does guitar training videos and a lot of Fender promotion. He's fuckin awesome! He has some free stuff on his website. "Spank It", "Redhouse" (Hendrix cover), "Your Face", "Come and Gone", and "SurfZep" to name a few are fantastic!

My favorites or influences you could say, change like the wind being a musician. Here's a few of my staples though

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Slash

Jimi Hendrix

Jack White

Eric Clapton

BB King

Robert Johnson

Muddy Waters

Jerry Cantrel (Alice in Chains)

Mike McCready (Pearl Jam)

I could go on for days but these are the guys I couldn't live without!

thread started off decently, but quickly turned into a bland classic rock namedrop fest by people whose lists make rolling stone's look genius.

favorites:

django reinhardt.

frank zappa.

eddie hazel.

zoot horn rollo.

john frusciante.

wata.

john mclaughlin.

al di meola.

omar a. rodriguez-lopez.

robert johnson.

snakefinger.

lil' wayne.

andres segovia.

larry coryell.

li jianhong.

LOL Lil Wayne a guitarist. He sucks at guitar playing and your just saying that because of his rapping and his shitty song prom queen.

Always a fan of the super players.

Malmsteen

Andres Segova

Chet Atkins

Alot of sub-sonic players as well;

Jason Becker

Jimmy Herring

Buckethead

Mark Knopfler

Randy Rhoads

I kind of hate thinking about guitars/guitarists. I fell asleep wrong one night, and when I woke up my pinky finger didn't move, and my ring finger moves very slow. It's been that way ever since. So the thought of playing really takes the wind out of my sails.

Guest deleted_19765
It's not that I don't think they're good guitarists, I just don't find them particularly useful. Hendrix is perhaps the epitome of this...

So, the history of guitar post 1967 is of no interest to you?

I don't follow that argument, to be honest. Sure I might be interested in what Hendrix has influenced. That's impossible to deny. But like I say I find the guy himself & what he's played to be of little use. I don't enjoy his playing in it's context. I find that he played very little that I actually want to listen to, other than his one appearance on "False Start" by Love (which is one of the most pointlessly hated records I can think of as it goes...). Perhaps the guitar world is a much more interesting place Post-Hendrix, but my love for the guy himself doesn't exist. I don't really think he sounds particularly vital these days. Some of his contemporaries sound much better than he does with the benefit of hindsight. Similarly, I think John Cipollina was a great guitarist, but there's hardly anything by him I'd actually listen to, whereas others have used his style more effectively.

Of course I'm talking on a personal level here. It pointless trying to take any other view. If others want to love him, that's great. As it goes, I don't

This is a better explanation. I just don't think "useless" is quite the right term, if you are to admit the influence Hendrix had on guitarists you listen to more.

There's a guy Greg Koch, he does guitar training videos and a lot of Fender promotion. He's fuckin awesome! He has some free stuff on his website. "Spank It", "Redhouse" (Hendrix cover), "Your Face", "Come and Gone", and "SurfZep" to name a few are fantastic!

My favorites or influences you could say, change like the wind being a musician. Here's a few of my staples though

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Slash

Jimi Hendrix

Jack White

Eric Clapton

BB King

Robert Johnson

Muddy Waters

Jerry Cantrel (Alice in Chains)

Mike McCready (Pearl Jam)

I could go on for days but these are the guys I couldn't live without!

I'm a big fan of yours, Greg Cock. I'd venture so far as to say your songs are better than Sweet Child O' Mine!

Edited by Estranged Reality

I don't care how much people here hate Eric Clapton but this is seriously one of the best solo's I've heard:

I love how it builds up in intensity, the switching of the pickups. Ahhh, wow.

My faves are probably Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, SRV. I know it's the typical trifecta of guitarists but they're just the ones i admire.

the dude from sublime is severely underrated.

Edited by swlabr

I don't care how much people here hate Eric Clapton but this is seriously one of the best solo's I've heard:

I love how it builds up in intensity, the switching of the pickups. Ahhh, wow.

My faves are probably Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, SRV. I know it's the typical trifecta of guitarists but they're just the ones i admire.

the dude from sublime is severely underrated.

Clapton is always mentioned for a reason, he's really good.

John Mayer deserves more credit than he gets, imo, among "guitar circles."

John Mayer gets a lot of credit among "guitar circles."

I think he actually gets a little too much credit. He can play & has a great feel, but I've heard 85% of his licks before...by Stevie Ray Vaughan (and no, I'm not a SRV nut, not really my style).

John Mayer deserves more credit than he gets, imo, among "guitar circles."

John Mayer gets a lot of credit among "guitar circles."

Really? I guess the "circles" I was exposed to were the exception. We can stop using quotes right about now.

I posted that after reading a dissertation on a guitar forum on why John Mayer is not, cannot, and will never be a blues musician. Some people take this stuff seriously :D.