New Iggy album to be released in late April

Wando

iggypreliminaires-1.jpg

Iggy Pop to release jazz album inspired by French novel

Iggy Pop sure knows how to keep it fresh. After years as a legendary punk icon, Pop has decided to ditch the blistering guitars for a quieter, more jazzy sound. "At one point, I just got sick of idiot thugs with guitars banging out crappy music," the long-haired rocker said via a video he posted about his upcoming album, Preliminaires:

This change didn't happen suddenly, nor without catalyst. In fact, the album wouldn't have happened at all if it weren't for Pop's love of French literature. Yes, you read right. Iggy Pop loves French literature. Well, at least if it's about death, sex and the end of the human race.

Last year Pop was tapped to provide the music for a documentary about controversial French author Michel Houellebecq's efforts to create a film based on his book The Possibility Of An Island (La Possibilité d'une Ile). Pop, who apparently felt a deep-rooted connection with the book, agreed and began work on the music for Last Words.

Preliminaires features seven songs inspired by France, the book and New Orleans jazz. The video gives a small preview of one of the album's songs, "King Of The Dogs," which opens with the line: "I got a smelly rear / I got a dirty nose / I don't want no shoes / I don't want no clothes."

Source (an Iggy-interview and a song titled King Of The Dogs from the new album).

If you know anything about the man, James Osterberg, this aint really that out of character. Image and history and antics make it very easy to label this guy some kinda neolithic meathead but the truth of it is he's actually a very well read and articulate and artistically aware fellow so i dunno what all the "yes you read it right" incredulous crap is about.

If you know anything about the man, James Osterberg, this aint really that out of character. Image and history and antics make it very easy to label this guy some kinda neolithic meathead but the truth of it is he's actually a very well read and articulate and artistically aware fellow so i dunno what all the "yes you read it right" incredulous crap is about.

You can be well read and articulate and still be a meathead. Just because he reads a lot doesn't change the fact that his lyrics have always been very juvenile and they even were on King of the Dogs or whatever that track was called. I like Iggy, but I don't think too highly of him as a person, I think he's pretty fucking crazy.

You can be well read and articulate and still be a meathead. Just because he reads a lot doesn't change the fact that his lyrics have always been very juvenile and they even were on King of the Dogs or whatever that track was called. I like Iggy, but I don't think too highly of him as a person, I think he's pretty fucking crazy.

I know what you mean, Iggy is most definitely a meathead at heart, i dunno, somewhere between meathead and intellectual but i dont agree about his lyrics being juvenile...i think his lyrics are everything from serious primal stripped down kinda...existentialist animalistic shit, from like satire and sarcasm to flat out humorous...theres a lot more to his lyrics than what meets the eye, im not sure all of its always intentional, only Iggy would know that but its definitely there. Theres something really wonderfully poetic and sexy about I Wannabe Your Dog thats like...its really somethin y'know? Really something to measure up to.

I know what you mean, Iggy is most definitely a meathead at heart, i dunno, somewhere between meathead and intellectual but i dont agree about his lyrics being juvenile...i think his lyrics are everything from serious primal stripped down kinda...existentialist animalistic shit, from like satire and sarcasm to flat out humorous...theres a lot more to his lyrics than what meets the eye, im not sure all of its always intentional, only Iggy would know that but its definitely there. Theres something really wonderfully poetic and sexy about I Wannabe Your Dog thats like...its really somethin y'know? Really something to measure up to.

I don't know if I agree about I Wanna Be Your Dog being poetic or sexy. I mean it depends whos listening I guess. Iggy could've meant them to be raunchy yet poetic, but I just see it as juvenile, but he also may have meant for it to be just that and you see more out of it, ya know? I do like Iggy. I don't find him incredibly talented but there's still something about him. I guess I do agree with you to an extent, in the same way Jim Morrison made being a drunken moron intellectual and cool, Iggy uses his stupidity, idiocy, and childishness to be something more - I don't really know what.

I don't know if I agree about I Wanna Be Your Dog being poetic or sexy. I mean it depends whos listening I guess. Iggy could've meant them to be raunchy yet poetic, but I just see it as juvenile, but he also may have meant for it to be just that and you see more out of it, ya know? I do like Iggy. I don't find him incredibly talented but there's still something about him. I guess I do agree with you to an extent, in the same way Jim Morrison made being a drunken moron intellectual and cool, Iggy uses his stupidity, idiocy, and childishness to be something more - I don't really know what.

to me its like...condensed humanity presented neatly without the the boring bits. Cuz we dont get to see the boring bits y'know...like them making breakfast or scratching their butts or complaining to clerks in a grocery store about how the bannanas are bruised...i think its a bit of all of it, juvenile, intellectual, raunchy, poetic, meatheadish...and all that in itself is an interesting gathering of ideas, intentional or not. I think to some degree we will our interpretations to be real and project things we want on artists. Its comfortable for me to believe that Iggys this mind like a fuckin Maserati wrapped in this kinda juvenelia...probably true to a point but its way too neat to be the whole of it.

to me its like...condensed humanity presented neatly without the the boring bits. Cuz we dont get to see the boring bits y'know...like them making breakfast or scratching their butts or complaining to clerks in a grocery store about how the bannanas are bruised...i think its a bit of all of it, juvenile, intellectual, raunchy, poetic, meatheadish...and all that in itself is an interesting gathering of ideas, intentional or not. I think to some degree we will our interpretations to be real and project things we want on artists. Its comfortable for me to believe that Iggys this mind like a fuckin Maserati wrapped in this kinda juvenelia...probably true to a point but its way too neat to be the whole of it.

No butt scratching? I thought Iggy would include some butt scratching haha. Iggy does have a bit of the Morrison "drunk & stoned poet" thing going on, but not as much. It's easy to tell that Iggy wants to be Jim haha. Used to dress similar, lust for life is a Morrison line, the Passenger is based off of one of Jim's poems, and I forget which but I used to know another reference in a song.

No butt scratching? I thought Iggy would include some butt scratching haha. Iggy does have a bit of the Morrison "drunk & stoned poet" thing going on, but not as much. It's easy to tell that Iggy wants to be Jim haha. Used to dress similar, lust for life is a Morrison line, the Passenger is based off of one of Jim's poems, and I forget which but I used to know another reference in a song.

Theres a lot in what your saying but at the same time i think Iggy is a lot more primal, both in his lyrics and as a performer. Not AS much any more, granted. Stories about Morrisons personal life aside, Morrison never went quite as far as Iggy onstage either. Maybe thats because Iggy had that Morrison benchmark to beat?

Theres a lot in what your saying but at the same time i think Iggy is a lot more primal, both in his lyrics and as a performer. Not AS much any more, granted. Stories about Morrisons personal life aside, Morrison never went quite as far as Iggy onstage either. Maybe thats because Iggy had that Morrison benchmark to beat?

Yeah, I see Iggy being like Jim Morrison in a punk band. Besides Jim's exposing incident he never took it as far as Iggy. Iggy used to cut himself and stuff, which in a whole other league. I think Iggy would do anything for a reaction out of the crowd, any sort of emotion. I think he took Jims antics to a new level, which inspired a lot of punk musicians.