Elvis Costello

Shuffle

Since there's nothing interesting going on in this forum I though we might talk a bit about Elvis Costello...

I recently checked out his 1978 record This Year's Model which is pretty fucking great. It was my first exposure to Costello so anyone care to recommend some more albums by him? What do you think about him? Your favourite album? etc etc

btw, when the first time I heard it I thought it was really similar to Graham Parker & The Rumour's Squeezing Out Sparks from 1979. After I've listened to both albums again I don't think they're that similar though, but if you like This Year's Model you should check out Squeezing Out Sparks, it's a wonderful record. So there's a little recommendation for you people too...

Edited by Soulseller

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Elvis Costello and the Attractions in November of 1978.

Phenominal...just a stellar show!

Man the angst and tension on stage and in the crowd was electric.

A really edgy raw show...it was perfect!

This Year's Model and My Aim is True are quintessentials...I can still listen to them to this day...timeless.

Pick Up the cd live at th El Mocambo if you can find it.

It was a bootleg from a Toronto show that circulated for years,but it finally received an official release.

Worth a listen for sure!

(and yeah...Graham Parsons Squeezing Out Sparks is a great record too...but I prefer the early Elvis releases).

He's one of my favorite singers and songwriters. I was lucky enough to see him in a small club about a year ago, playing the whole My Aim is True album with the band that played on the recording.

Anyone catch his talk show on the Sundance channel? It's great, just him talking to musicians about music, and then they perform together. Like Inside the Actors Studio, for musicians.