Syd Barrett

coolio GNR

Why do people think this man is a genius...he is so far from it is not even funny. I mean if you compare him to Roger Waters, he does not even come close. If someone could explain this one to me that would be great.

I mean don't get me wrong I like a couple of his songs such as Astronomy Domine, Lucifer Sam, The Gnome, Octopus, Dark Globe, Terrapin, and Bike. but they are just silly, nonsense songs that are enjoyable to listen to. His music is so simple and like I said before they are just random lyrics nothing thought provoking. I mean seriously have you ever looked at the lyrics to Octopus!?

Why do people think this man is a genius...he is so far from it is not even funny. I mean if you compare him to Roger Waters, he does not even come close. If someone could explain this one to me that would be great.

I mean don't get me wrong I like a couple of his songs such as Astronomy Domine, Lucifer Sam, The Gnome, Octopus, Dark Globe, Terrapin, and Bike. but they are just silly, nonsense songs that are enjoyable to listen to. His music is so simple and like I said before they are just random lyrics nothing thought provoking. I mean seriously have you ever looked at the lyrics to Octopus!?

Just curious, have you ever taken LSD?

I'd be willing to bet that without Syd Barrett's creative influence on the band in the mid 60's (let's face it, they were like nothing before them when they released Piper), Roger Waters wouldn't have written pretty much everything he wrote after Syd's departure.

I'd be willing to bet that without Syd Barrett's creative influence on the band in the mid 60's (let's face it, they were like nothing before them when they released Piper), Roger Waters wouldn't have written pretty much everything he wrote after Syd's departure.

Very true. Syd's deteriorating mental health inspired Waters to write several songs about mental illness, such as those on DSOTM.

Very true. Syd's deteriorating mental health inspired Waters to write several songs about mental illness, such as those on DSOTM.

Isnt Wish You Were Here heavily based on Syd as well?

As are parts of The Wall, especially in the film.

Indeed it is. I remember reading about a disturbing encounter that the band had during the recording session for this album...Apparently Syd walked in, unannounced, and looked extremely different. He had gained alot of weight, shaved his eyebrows and was bald. He then started jumping up and down while brushing his teeth...O_o

Why do people think this man is a genius...he is so far from it is not even funny.

It's too bad that Coolio started this topic and then just fled the village.

I am a big Syd Barrett aficionado, and I'd really love to discuss this with him.

Ha, strange isn't it? I am also a big fan of Syd. I'm interested as to what Coolio has to say...

I have heard all albums by Pink Floyd. Piper, Saucerful, Umma, More, Dark, Wish, Animals, The Wall, Momentary, Division, Zabriskie (sp?), Sound of Thunder, PULSE, Final Cut, and Pompeii.

I am not doubting that he was a huge influence in later material that Pink Floyd or Roger wrote. I'm just saying I have heard Saucerful (he only wrote one song- Jugband Blues of which I like) and Piper and they are ok but nothing near great.

I just don't know where the genius comes in because it is certainly not the lyrics or the music for the reasons that I mentioned before.

Edited by coolio GNR

I have heard all albums by Pink Floyd. Piper, Saucerful, Umma, More, Dark, Wish, Animals, The Wall, Momentary, Division, Zabriskie (sp?), Sound of Thunder, PULSE, Final Cut, and Pompeii.

I am not doubting that he was a huge influence in later material that Pink Floyd or Roger wrote. I'm just saying I have heard Saucerful (he only wrote one song- Jugband Blues of which I like) and Piper and they are ok but nothing near great.

I just don't know where the genius comes in because it is certainly not the lyrics or the music for the reasons that I mentioned before.

Coolio,

Have you taken LSD? I don't think I'd be a such a Barrett fan if I hadn't.

Indeed it is. I remember reading about a disturbing encounter that the band had during the recording session for this album...Apparently Syd walked in, unannounced, and looked extremely different. He had gained alot of weight, shaved his eyebrows and was bald. He then started jumping up and down while brushing his teeth...O_o

haha yeah i heard that somewhere too, he just showed up and they were like whos this guy?

Unfortunately, I got into Floyd without Barrett first - then went back to the older stuff for a listen

I believe this is not the way it was intended - so I would'nt speak to whether or not he's above Waters - musically or not

But, I don't care for the older stuff as much - it's just harder to listen too and appreciate

aau.jpg

^^ Taken at that exact moment in the studio.

Apparently at first they didn't recognize him. Roger cried when he finally realized it was Syd. They hadn't seen him at all in years.

I read somewhere that he walked in with a guitar without strings and asked "When do I play". Although I'm not entirely sure about that last part.

There's some interesting parts about this encounter on the The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story DVD.

A must-see for every Floyd fan. I'd highly recommend it. Fantastic documentary featuring all other Floyd members.

Aha, that's where I first heard about it!