Rock Bands

KBear

I'm digging a couple of reggae tunes done by rock bands. Maybe I should explore reggae a little bit. What are some of the greats who perform this kind of music? I guess Bob Marley is the obvious one. Also, are there any other examples of rock bands doing this style of music?

Send It To Me - Rolling Stones

I Want It All - Bryan Adams

There's something about this two songs. They are insanely catchy and fun. Not getting the same vibe from the Bob Marley tunes that I know, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. The character of Adams and the Stones definitely seeps into these songs.

Reggae is fantastic, an amazing genre. REALLY underrated and misunderstood and SOOO amazingly influential. It pretty much originated hip hop from like...toasting on Reggae records? People like U Roy, I Roy, Prince Far I, Peter Tosh. Amazing diverse original and brave genre, the first REAL departure from the kind of three chord rock n roll format. DJ Kool Herc was actually a jamaican by origin and he kind of took that sensibility, expanded on it and from there rap was created.

It was also deep in the heart of the punk movement, Joe Strummer, Johnny Rotten absolutely adored reggar and deservedly so. It has done so much for popular music and it all goes basically unrecognised. We wouldn't have a hip hop were it not for reggae and really...as Joe Strummer said, Punk or the punk movement would be piffle without reggae because reggae was the first hint in that movement that suggested that the thing was about musical diversity and not...this stale format of three chord rock songs.

The Clash did a couple of pretty heavy reggae-ish songs, Guns of Brixton, Crooked Beat, Bank Robber

dig this, bankrobber - the clash

guns of brixton - the clash

but if you're looking to go in at the deep end heres some reggae for ya :)

- natty rebel - u roy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5dgAszVslA - legalise it - peter tosh

ring the alarm - tenor saw

poison flour - dr alimentado (a personal favorite)

mellow mood - bob marley

solomon a gunday - big youth

- Johnny Clarke and King Tubby - Jah Jah We are waiting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojQfXN1mylI unitone skank - dr alimentado

There's dub reggae too of course which is mostly instrumental with lots of echo and reverb effects and...just a hot bed of creativity really, its just lucious music although that may be a bit too far down the deep end for most people. Even like modern dance music is influenced by this, drum n bass is just basically speeded up dub reggae.

Anyway, i'm waffling on here a bit, just i love this genre of music so much and there's so much to say about it i think if i get a roll on i'm gonna be here all night so i'm gonna shut up now but yeah, there's some reccomendations :)

The Clash did a couple of pretty heavy reggae-ish songs, Guns of Brixton, Crooked Beat, Bank Robber

"Police and thieves in the street...oh yeeeeeeah...fighting the nation with their...guns and ammunition"

dig this, bankrobber - the clash

Ahhhhhhh man...gotta love that one!