Ron's Estranged solo bit (Tokyo monitor mix)

final_touches

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

A (Probably stupid) question from one who have no idea... What is a "monitor mix"? Never heard of it until a few weeks ago.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A (Probably stupid) question from one who have no idea... What is a "monitor mix"? Never heard of it until a few weeks ago.

It's the only way to Axl hear what he is singing. Also to hear the band without the screams from the crowd. Something like that.

It's the only way to Axl hear what he is singing. Also to hear the band without the screams from the crowd. Something like that.

Yeah pretty much, it's what you would hear if there was no crowd but it's a lot more clear and crisp. Basically it's what the guy who mixes the live sound hears so he can mix it properly during the show and get the best sound. You also hear Tommy/Axl talking about what song to do next and general chit chat you wont hear from the crowd since it's done through a different microphone.

Ah. I see. How come that this has come out for the public? They, I would guess, usually don't.

The guy who controls the whole shit.

Can't you usually pick it up through finding the right radio frequency or is that an old myth?

yeah, you have to pick up the wireless transmitted signal and record it. the monitor mix is what the band hears in their earpieces. every member of the band can have it's own mix so each player hears what he wants to hear. i.e. axl's monitormix has his voice louder in the mix than what the audience hears....

There's a few other monitor mixes floating around from the previous tour. Download Festival (2006) and Osaka (2007) are the two I can think of off the top of my head.

There's a few other monitor mixes floating around from the previous tour. Download Festival (2006) and Osaka (2007) are the two I can think of off the top of my head.

How do you think these monitor mix archives surfaced? is there any way to take them for a fan using technology? i mean picking up the frequency or something like that?

How do you think these monitor mix archives surfaced? is there any way to take them for a fan using technology? i mean picking up the frequency or something like that?

I've no idea to be honest. I guess they work the same as soundboards.

I've no idea to be honest. I guess they work the same as soundboards.

I should ask to a japanese fan :P

There's two sets of mixers - Stage sound and Front of House sound. Front of House is generally in the middle or back of the venue and mixes what the audience hears. On the 2002 shows someone with FOH sound was doing live-mix stereo DAT recordings. During the PA show where they didn't show up the crowd went apeshit and during the melee someone grabbed a bunch of those dat tapes - hence the source of the soundboard leaks, including some incomplete shows. Stage sound is off to the side of the stage somewhere and does the mixing for the floor monitors and depending on how big the band is, individual mixes (transmitted wirelessly) for each member. I was wondering if maybe there was a stomp box that Tommy or Axl would hit when they wanted to communicate via only the monitors (as heard on the monitor-mix recordings) however Ron's recent interview revealed that it is actually a special microphone on stage that is used for the covert conversations.

I can tell you from the 2006 show I saw in Worcester Mass that the stage sound mixing console was the largest I have ever seen at a concert, as long as a limo along the right side (from the audience perspective) of the stage. As for monitor-mix leaks, it would be possible to find the correct frequency and record it however simple encryption could prevent this so one has to wonder. The other option would be someone involved in the mixing process leaking them, though I think it's more likely they were snatched via the transmission frequency.

Edited by sphere79

WOW!

He plays really well ... amazing

There's two sets of mixers - Stage sound and Front of House sound. Front of House is generally in the middle or back of the venue and mixes what the audience hears. On the 2002 shows someone with FOH sound was doing live-mix stereo DAT recordings. During the PA show where they didn't show up the crowd went apeshit and during the melee someone grabbed a bunch of those dat tapes - hence the source of the soundboard leaks, including some incomplete shows. Stage sound is off to the side of the stage somewhere and does the mixing for the floor monitors and depending on how big the band is, individual mixes (transmitted wirelessly) for each member. I was wondering if maybe there was a stomp box that Tommy or Axl would hit when they wanted to communicate via only the monitors (as heard on the monitor-mix recordings) however Ron's recent interview revealed that it is actually a special microphone on stage that is used for the covert conversations.

I can tell you from the 2006 show I saw in Worcester Mass that the stage sound mixing console was the largest I have ever seen at a concert, as long as a limo along the right side (from the audience perspective) of the stage. As for monitor-mix leaks, it would be possible to find the correct frequency and record it however simple encryption could prevent this so one has to wonder. The other option would be someone involved in the mixing process leaking them, though I think it's more likely they were snatched via the transmission frequency.

Thank you so much, It´s much clearer now ...

PM me with Download Festival. I've downloaded a poor bootleg from this show. Didn't know about the monitor mix.

sounds like ron has asked Axl to play a part of estranged during his solo to please the fans and axl was like: "no, you cant"

then ron does it live anyway and axl is like "hey, hey, i heard that. stop it"

That would only make sense if this was the first time he played it. But it was the fourth. So no.