Top 5 Bruce Springsteen Albums

NightProwler

1. The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle

This is my favorite album of all-time. Musically and lyrically, it is one of the best of all time in my opinion. Rosalita, Incident on 57th Street into New York Serenade is just brilliant. Not to mention my favorite song at the moment, Kitty's Back is on this album. Definately an underated album that many fans should give a listen too.

2. Nebraska

Bruce's first solo album, and definately darkest album. Nebraska, the song about two murderers. Used Cars, Reason to Believe and my personal favorite Highway Patrolman. This album paints a picture in my mind that no other can. Just a great all round record.

3. Born To Run

Thunder Road opens the records and Jungleland closes it out. Then you have Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Backstreets and Meeting Across The River just to name a few of the songs. Definately no fillers in this album.

4. Magic

I'll probably get criticized for this choice, but this is definately one of, if not the strongest E Street Albums since The River. You'll Be Coming Down, Magic, Devils Arcade make this album what it is. A great Springsteen rock album. It was overlooked since its release, and it still is. It deserves more credit, as possibly the best album of the decade.

5. Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ

Springsteen's first album. Some call it an E Street album, some call it a solo album. Either way it is one of his best. Opening with the folk version of Blinded by the Light (which is superior to Manfred Man's shitty version), and then into one of my favorites, Growin' Up. This album is definately one of Springsteens most facsinating lyrical creations. Not the most popular album, even with hardcore fans, but one of the better albums.

My favourite would have to be The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle, simply because of the sheer brilliance of it, be it lyrically or musically.

At number two would be Born to Run. It's just a magnificent journey from Thunder Road to Jungleland, with such perfection that words are truly hard to find when trying to describe it.

Number three is The Rising, a personal favourite of mine. It is one of Springsteen's longest albums and one of the most heterogeneous. And it has so many gems in it... Despite its length, it manages to flow very well and to make time fly by.

Darkness on the Edge of Town is at number four in my list. The feel of that album is perhaps like no other. The rage in the others of every song, the epics like Streets of Fire and Racing in the Street, everything about that 10-song selection just makes it that special.

And, finally, at number five, the often-forgotten but amazing Tunnel of Love. An album which is more introspective than perhaps any other Springsteen album and that, for such a reason, adds something unique to his catalogue. It may not have the E Street Band in full swing, but the selection of songs more than makes up for it. It's magic.

Speaking of Magic, the album of that name gets a honourable mention from me - it would come at number six, tied with The River. The album I listen to the most these days, though, is Tracks. Every time I crank it up, I just think: how can this guy have written so many incredible songs and never release them until 1998? Bruce Springsteen truly is one of the greatest artists of the second half of the 20th Century, and certainly my favourite.

(6. Greetings From Asbury Park,NJ)

5. The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle

4. The River

3. Nebraska

2. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

1. Born To Run

I could switch BTR and DOTEOT and it would still be alright for me, can't really choose between them. Hammersmith Odeon '75 would be #3 if I included live albums.

My favourite would have to be The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle, simply because of the sheer brilliance of it, be it lyrically or musically.

At number two would be Born to Run. It's just a magnificent journey from Thunder Road to Jungleland, with such perfection that words are truly hard to find when trying to describe it.

Number three is The Rising, a personal favourite of mine. It is one of Springsteen's longest albums and one of the most heterogeneous. And it has so many gems in it... Despite its length, it manages to flow very well and to make time fly by.

Darkness on the Edge of Town is at number four in my list. The feel of that album is perhaps like no other. The rage in the others of every song, the epics like Streets of Fire and Racing in the Street, everything about that 10-song selection just makes it that special.

And, finally, at number five, the often-forgotten but amazing Tunnel of Love. An album which is more introspective than perhaps any other Springsteen album and that, for such a reason, adds something unique to his catalogue. It may not have the E Street Band in full swing, but the selection of songs more than makes up for it. It's magic.

Speaking of Magic, the album of that name gets a honourable mention from me - it would come at number six, tied with The River. The album I listen to the most these days, though, is Tracks. Every time I crank it up, I just think: how can this guy have written so many incredible songs and never release them until 1998? Bruce Springsteen truly is one of the greatest artists of the second half of the 20th Century, and certainly my favourite.

Tunnel of Love is great. I think it is Springsteen's most mature album lyrically. Lots of ppl overlook that album because it came after Born In The USA, but its definately up there in his catalogue.

Tracks is great. Some of my favorite songs are off it. Roulette, Hearts of Stone, Restless Nights, My Love Will Not Let You Down. Luckily when I went to the Buffalo concert in November, I got to hear Restless Nights, because it was Stevies Birthday and he said it was his favorite Bruce song. They play MLWNLYD also and add to the fact they played all of Greetings. Just a superb concert.

And yes Springsteen is definately one of, if not the greatest artist in the second half of 20th century. He is my favorite whether he's with the E Street Band, Solo, or the SSB.

1. Nebraska

2. Born to Run

3. The River

4. Born in the USA

5. Darkness on the Edge of Town

I'll second the love for Magic. The production undermines some of its better qualities (Brendan O'Brien jumped the shark a while ago), but it was a resurgence of strong songwriting. Unfortunately, its follow-up (Working On a Dream) was a big let down. I think Bruce himself said it was kind of like a sequel to Magic, but "Queen of the Supermarket" is probably the worst thing he's ever written.

I'll second the love for Magic. The production undermines some of its better qualities (Brendan O'Brien jumped the shark a while ago), but it was a resurgence of strong songwriting. Unfortunately, its follow-up (Working On a Dream) was a big let down. I think Bruce himself said it was kind of like a sequel to Magic, but "Queen of the Supermarket" is probably the worst thing he's ever written.

Agree about this...while the Rising was good Magic was definitely a step upwards. And then Working on a Dream delivered his strongest tune in years (The Wrestler) and also possibly his weakest track in Queen of the Supermarket. Some of the other tracks had potential but didn't reach it and yes, Brendan O'Brien's terrible production didn't help.

Yeah I agree Working On A Dream wasn't the best. There are a few songs that I enjoy listening to though. Outlaw Pete, What Love Can Do, This Life, Life Itself, Tomorrow Never Knows are decent songs. I think he rushed the album. The Last Carnival and The Wrestler are the only real standout songs IMO.

Impossible, don't think I could ever pick a top 5. Each album has a different meaning to me, so depending on my mood, the day or the season my top 5 would change. I agree with the post on Magic though. Fantastic album.

Echoed.

Big fan of Boss' newer music to be honest, doesn't get the praise it deserves.