Another list from SPIN...GnR at #7

fallingred85

How is nirvana a LOL?

They paved the way for grunge. Nirvana were way more influencial than gnr when it comes to music.

Alice in Chains? Soundgarden? OK shut the fuck up.

Now how many bands did gnr influence? Not many.

Slash basically influenced generations and generations of guitarists, young people today look up to Slash and grab a guitar because of him just like Hendrix in his time AFD is in that way WAY more influential than Nevermind whose kids only listen to one song (smells like teen spirit).

Radiohead always influenced a ton of bands

No, and don't tell me Muse were influenced by Radiohead because they were already a band a making music before Radiohead put out their first album.

And you are laughing at u2? You really dont know much about music do you?

U2 are a mainstream joke and I'm still laughing at it.

You dont know jack about music and you just proved it.

Niravna influenced way more bands than soundgarden.

You have to be kidding me. Nirvana was easily the most influenial band of the 90s.

And I was not even thinking of Muse when you commented about Radiohead.

Please learn your musical history before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is saying NIrvana or any of their albums are better than gnr, but anyone that doesnt think Nirvana was more influencial then they dont know jack about music

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezuz CHRIST.

He's absolutely right.

Nirvana's impact was huge. GNR's? Where is it?

Linkin Park

Buckcherry

Finger11

A7X

them crooked vultures

Im sure many many more are everywhere.

You do know LP HATED guns n roses right?

And how did Gnr influence them, LP sounds NOTHING like gnr.

If anyone influenced LP it was aphex twin or the defftones.

Niravna influenced most of the bands that came after then in the 90s, nirviana changed the way music was made.

Some of you really need to come back to reality.

How is nirvana a LOL?

They paved the way for grunge. Nirvana were way more influencial than gnr when it comes to music.

Alice in Chains? Soundgarden? OK shut the fuck up.

Now how many bands did gnr influence? Not many.

Slash basically influenced generations and generations of guitarists, young people today look up to Slash and grab a guitar because of him just like Hendrix in his time AFD is in that way WAY more influential than Nevermind whose kids only listen to one song (smells like teen spirit).

Radiohead always influenced a ton of bands

No, and don't tell me Muse were influenced by Radiohead because they were already a band a making music before Radiohead put out their first album.

And you are laughing at u2? You really dont know much about music do you?

U2 are a mainstream joke and I'm still laughing at it.

Not to be an arse but Radiohead were around way before Muse, Pablo Honey came out in 1994, Muse released their first Eps in 1998. Not saying they influenced them but just correcting.

Edited by hendo123456789

No one is saying NIrvana or any of their albums are better than gnr, but anyone that doesnt think Nirvana was more influencial then they dont know jack about music

He's absolutely right.

Linkin Park

Buckcherry

Finger11

A7X

them crooked vultures

Niravna influenced most of the bands that came after then in the 90s, nirviana changed the way music was made.

Regardless of whether or not they were influenced by them, 'Linkin Park' are GN'R fans, that's why they cover their songs when they play live. Also to be 'influenced' by someone, you don't have to sound like them. 'The Smiths' were heavily influenced by 'The Beatles', 'The New York Dolls' and 'The Rolling Stones' and sound nothing like any of them.

Since this is wear the thread is going now.... Guns N Roses were a massive influence on The Manic Street Preachers also... who sound nothing like GNR.

Edited by axl8302

GNR Dave, you are the ignorant guy here, LP hate Guns N' Roses? Yeah right, check that out motherfucker:

Stop calling others ignorants when you don't know jackshit you moron. I really don't understand how you can still be allowed to write on this forum with the daily shit you're bringing us.

Also, Lost Prophets are huge Guns N' Roses fans and were very influenced by them.

Not to be an arse but Radiohead were around way before Muse, Pablo Honey came out in 1994, Muse released their first Eps in 1998. Not saying they influenced them but just correcting.

Yes I know but Muse began as a band around 1993, there is a video of them on youtube, around 1994, they already had their style so it's not correct to say they ripped of Radiohead, they never were influenced by radiohead in anyway (however they were heavily influenced by Jeff Buckley). I think Jeff Buckley has been more on an influence on a lot of bands than Radiohead ever was.

GNR Dave, you are the ignorant guy here, LP hate Guns N' Roses? Yeah right, check that out motherfucker:

Stop calling others ignorants when you don't know jackshit you moron. I really don't understand how you can still be allowed to write on this forum with the daily shit you're bringing us.

Also, Lost Prophets are huge Guns N' Roses fans and were very influenced by them.

Yes I know but Muse began as a band around 1993, there is a video of them on youtube, around 1994, they already had their style so it's not correct to say they ripped of Radiohead, they never were influenced by radiohead in anyway (however they were heavily influenced by Jeff Buckley). I think Jeff Buckley has been more on an influence on a lot of bands than Radiohead ever was.

You are the ignorant one and dont know shit about music, you just keep spouting off bullshit, You really need to stop. You dont know jack shit about music, you really need to learn your history.

You probably think guns n roses influenced more people than the beatles and the stones too.

Have you ever seen those LP youtube videos when they cover gnr, they are MOCKING THEM. There were even threads on here about it years ago people ripping into LP for mocking Gnr when LP covered gnr or are you too much of newbie to even remember that far back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBil4ZXSRLg

You dont think that is MOCKING THEM? Does the """"thats enough of that shit""""" not give you a clue?? PLEASE GET A CLUE before comment. Does the laughing before they start playing it not give you the clue they are mocking them either?

You have proven time and time again you dont know what you are talking about and dont know anything about music.

And you ask why I am allowed to post, because I can actually back up what I am saying unlike you.

I have proven you wrong time and time ago, doesnt it get old?

He's absolutely right.

Linkin Park

Buckcherry

Finger11

A7X

them crooked vultures

Regardless of whether or not they were influenced by them, 'Linkin Park' are GN'R fans, that's why they cover their songs when they play live. Also to be 'influenced' by someone, you don't have to sound like them. 'The Smiths' were heavily influenced by 'The Beatles', 'The New York Dolls' and 'The Rolling Stones' and sound nothing like any of them.

Since this is wear the thread is going now.... Guns N Roses were a massive influence on The Manic Street Preachers also... who sound nothing like GNR.

No one is saying Gnr didnt influence any band. I am saying nirvana was a much bigger influence on music than GNR was.

GNR was better but nirvana influenced way more bands and even changed the face of music forever (good or bad).

Edited by gnr-dave

Have you ever seen those LP youtube videos when they cover gnr, they are MOCKING THEM. There were even threads on here about it years ago people ripping into LP for mocking Gnr when LP covered gnr or are you too much of newbie to even remember that far back?

They are not mocking them you idiot they are having fun trying to cover it, they just don't have the technical level to play the song but it's all in good fun. My god you are more of an idiot with every new post you write. You think I don't know what I'm talking about and don't know anything about music? Take a deep look in the mirror man, everyone here feels bad for you when they read your posts :thumbsup:

They are not mocking them you idiot they are having fun trying to cover it, they just don't have the technical level to play the song but it's all in good fun. My god you are more of an idiot with every new post you write. You think I don't know what I'm talking about and don't know anything about music? Take a deep look in the mirror man, everyone here feels bad for you when they read your posts :thumbsup:

You are the biggest fucking idiot I have ever met. They dont have the technical level to play the song? Are you fucking kidding me, any 13 year old playing guitar for a year can play SCOM. Its not that hard.

this random kid on youtube can play it

you dont think LP can?

They were MOCKING THEM, that is why they said enough of this shit. Back when that first happened this board and jarmos were all bashing LP for mocking gnr. But now they are honoring them with that?

Are you kidding me?

Yeah SCOM is way past the ability of linkin park.

That is a good one

You really keep showing you will sink to any level to just disagree with me even when it makes you look like a fool.

I would say anyone on this board that can play guitar can cover SCOM with ease, but you are going to claim LP cant> LOL

Edited by gnr-dave

You are the biggest fucking idiot I have ever met. They dont have the technical level to play the song? Are you fucking kidding me, any 13 year old playing guitar for a year can play SCOM. Its not that hard.

you dont think LP can?

Oh man... you really are so retarded. So ignorant. You think Kokiba is a "random kid on youtube"? This guy is fucking ace, I've looked at his videos for quite a while and he's a great guitar player.

Listen Gnr-dave, since you know SOOOO much about guitar, why don't you post a video of yourself covering Sweet child o' mine? I'd actually enjoy that a lot! You know you keep bashing Ron about how he butchers Slash & Buckethead solos, how Kokiba is a random kid on youtube, yeaaah Sweet child o' mine? So easy to play man! Sure. Prove it. Make a video, I'm sure we'll be a lot to enjoy your cover :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

And as for Linkin Park, I think that the guitarist is not very good, and I think he didn't train a lot on that song, it was more a fun attempt of the band than mocking them. But you have no humour, how would you know any of that? I don't care what was said when this video first surfaced, the "enough of that shit" is refering to them because they can't play the song.

GNR-dave, I challenge you to a video fight: you cover Sweet child o' mine. If you do I'll cover Sweet child o' mine as well on guitar and we'll see who's the better guitarist between you and me.

you dont think LP can?

Oh man... you really are so retarded. So ignorant. You think Kokiba is a "random kid on youtube"? This guy is fucking ace, I've looked at his videos for quite a while and he's a great guitar player.

Listen Gnr-dave, since you know SOOOO much about guitar, why don't you post a video of yourself covering Sweet child o' mine? I'd actually enjoy that a lot! You know you keep bashing Ron about how he butchers Slash & Buckethead solos, how Kokiba is a random kid on youtube, yeaaah Sweet child o' mine? So easy to play man! Sure. Prove it. Make a video, I'm sure we'll be a lot to enjoy your cover :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

And as for Linkin Park, I think that the guitarist is not very good, and I think he didn't train a lot on that song, it was more a fun attempt of the band than mocking them. But you have no humour, how would you know any of that? I don't care what was said when this video first surfaced, the "enough of that shit" is refering to them because they can't play the song.

GNR-dave, I challenge you to a video fight: you cover Sweet child o' mine. If you do I'll cover Sweet child o' mine as well on guitar and we'll see who's the better guitarist between you and me.

I dont play guitar, but if you deny that anyone playing guitar for a year cant cover SCOM then you are an idiot, because you know they can.

And, you know LP was mocking them, you just like making an ass of yourself trying to argue with me. It just shows what kind of person you are.

Go back and find the thread that people were bashing LP for making fun of Gnr.

Yeah I guess they were all wrong too back then right?

You should look up what mocking means because you dont know what are you talking about.

I dont play guitar, but if you deny that anyone playing guitar for a year cant cover SCOM then you are an idiot, because you know they can.

Lol you don't play guitar. And you talk. Ok, why the fuck have I been spending my time arguing with you. You're useless.

He's absolutely right.

What I was bemoaning there had nothing to do with his state ment. It's his phrasing. Just like always it's "If you don't see things my way you are an idiot."

You are the ignorant one and dont know shit about music, you just keep spouting off bullshit, You really need to stop. You dont know jack shit about music, you really need to learn your history.

You probably think guns n roses influenced more people than the beatles and the stones too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBil4ZXSRLg

You dont think that is MOCKING THEM? Does the """"thats enough of that shit""""" not give you a clue?? PLEASE GET A CLUE before comment. Does the laughing before they start playing it not give you the clue they are mocking them either?

You have proven time and time again you dont know what you are talking about and dont know anything about music.

And you ask why I am allowed to post, because I can actually back up what I am saying unlike you.

I have proven you wrong time and time ago, doesnt it get old?

He's absolutely right.

Linkin Park

Buckcherry

Finger11

A7X

them crooked vultures

No one is saying Gnr didnt influence any band. I am saying nirvana was a much bigger influence on music than GNR was.

GNR was better but nirvana influenced way more bands and even changed the face of music forever (good or bad).

I wasn't talking about nirvana, I was replying to your last post... this part -

" You do know LP HATED guns n roses right?

If anyone influenced LP it was aphex twin or the defftones."

Edited by axl8302

you dont think LP can?

They were MOCKING THEM, that is why they said enough of this shit. Back when that first happened this board and jarmos were all bashing LP for mocking gnr. But now they are honoring them with that?

Are you kidding me?

Yeah SCOM is way past the ability of linkin park.

That is a good one

You really keep showing you will sink to any level to just disagree with me even when it makes you look like a fool.

I would say anyone on this board that can play guitar can cover SCOM with ease, but you are going to claim LP cant> LOL

Chester Bennington really takes this mocking GN'R to the extreme! Here he is playing "Paradise City" with Slash and Duff -

Man, he really pulled a fast one of those guys! *sarcasm*

They must really HATE GN'R, I mean they play sweet child at nearly every gig they play. You conveniently neglected to mention that at the end of the clip where he calls it "shit", he also says that it was played out of "love, because they aren't here". "Shit" isn't always a negative, in fact it's thrown around quite a lot to describe just "stuff".

Here are LP playing sweet child again, does it look like they're mocking them here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajhOCtLSCeM&feature=related

" or are you too much of newbie to even remember that far back?" That's really getting old Dave, most people have been out in the real world, living their lives, while you've been here arguing with people, for years.... and years...... and years......... and years........ christ, get some fucking sunlight!

Edited by axl8302

Guns N Roses were the LAST of their kind. No one followed them, they were the followERS. Nirvana started an entire movement. They were the first of their kind on the scene and everyone else followed them through the door.

This is why Guns N Roses aren't considered influential, because when you're the last of a dying scene, you aren't really influencing anyone or anything.

Guns N Roses were the LAST of their kind. No one followed them, they were the followERS. Nirvana started an entire movement. They were the first of their kind on the scene and everyone else followed them through the door.

This is why Guns N Roses aren't considered influential, because when you're the last of a dying scene, you aren't really influencing anyone or anything.

Dont try talking sense to the idiots on this board. They think Gnr is the end all be all.

Dont try talking sense to the idiots on this board. They think Gnr is the end all be all.

While you're at it, Nintari, don't go into a Yankees fan board and start talking about how awesome the Red Sox are or how New Yorkers are all a bunch of idiots if they don't like Boston better. They're just haters and newbies.

Here's my opinion:

I think Guns was a huge deal from 87-93 or so. In that time frame they were as big as you get for a band.

That means they influenced people. Slash influenced guitarists, Axl influenced vocalists, the band as a whole influenced a look and a feel.

Nirvana did that too. Lots of bands do it.

Who inspired more people or musicians? How would anyone know? I've not met every single band or artist out there, have any of you?

Even if only talking about known musicians - have they said specifically what does and does not influence them in a definitive way? Music inspires music. Period. Guns made music.

How is it in any way some sort of shortsighted hubris to suggest GNR influenced other musicians as much as or more than any other band did? They were HUGE.

Since this is a GNR fan board, of COURSE the opinion here leans in their favor... it SHOULD. Jesus, is there something wrong with that?

I don't even understand half of these petty arguments.

"Oh, SCOM is so easy anyone can play it... I mean, I can't, but I still know everything and if you say I'm wrong you're a newbie communist with a small penis and irritable bowel syndrome."

STFU.

Here's my opinion:

I think Guns was a huge deal from 87-93 or so. In that time frame they were as big as you get for a band.

That means they influenced people.

That's YOUR definition of the term, but when people talk about "influential bands", it means bands that started movements and musical trends. The term is usually reserved for artists that CHANGE the flow of art at the time.

Guns N Roses were the last of the classic rock gods. Their sound/scene started 20 some odd years before them with bands like Zepplin and Aerosmith. They weren't the ones leading the way, they were the ones who followed in their predecessor's footsteps. They were the last of their kind. That sound, as far as being a mainstream sort of thing, died with them.

Nirvana is the definition of the term "influential". They're the originators of an entire movement. Once Nevermind broke into the masses, bands like Pearl Jam,Soundgadren,RHCP,Alice In Chains,STP etc. completely changed music/pop culture. It was all because of Nevermind.

I think people put too much stock in the term influential myself. Does it cheapen Guns N Roses because they weren't? Not at all in my opinion. They were one of the best classic rock bands in history. How the fuck can you cheapen Appetite For Destruction? It's pretty much perfect in every way, atleast as far as hard rock goes. So I don't think anyone should care if they're not considered influential.

When I think about Guns N Roses I think about a hard rock band that pretty much took everything good about classic rock up to that point, mashed it all together and streamlined it. They're the pinnacle of a sound/style that started with people like Hendrix. A sort of send off, if you will. One last testament.

And then.....they were gone.

Edited by Nintari

Here's my opinion:

That means they influenced people.

That's YOUR definition of the term, but when people talk about "influential bands", it means bands that started movements and musical trends. The term is usually reserved for artists that CHANGE the flow of art at the time.

No Used to love me is totally right, it's logical, they were so big they necessarily influenced people at that time.

Nowadays, it's a different story. Few people listen to Guns N' Roses and even less to Chinese Democracy. In the kerrang interview with Mick wall, Axl said something funny, he said that ten years from know, the Use Your Illusions I&II would become underground albums. And in 2010, it couldn't be more right, apart from Knockin on heaven's door, don't cry, you could be mine and live & let die, the rest of the albums are completely unknown to the mainstream audience. I'm not even talking about Chinese Democracy here. And this means that now and then, people with good tastes in music will realize how good these albums sound and be influenced by them. It's my case, my whole band is influenced by Guns N' Roses (and other bands like Scorpions, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith), however we were never influenced by Nirvana as we all consider it bad music.

Nirvana were huge and that's why they influenced a lot of people. GNR was in the same case. The minute you get so big, you get a lot of attention and it necessarily means you'll influence people. Same goes with politicians, etc.

Guns N Roses were the last of the classic rock gods. Their sound/scene started 20 some odd years before them with bands like Zepplin and Aerosmith. They weren't the ones leading the way, they were the ones who followed in their predecessor's footsteps. They were the last of their kind. That sound, as far as being a mainstream sort of thing, died with them.

I agree and at the same time I don't agree. Yes Guns N' Roses was the last true rock n roll band, the real deal. After that, it was just wannabes, and mostly bad music (except Oasis & Muse but I don't consider those bands in the same league). However, I don't think Guns N' Roses were followers, they had their own identity, they weren't the generic rock n roll band that was just a copycat, that's why they earned the title "most dangerous band in the world" (even if compared to some rap movements it was laughable). Their music were so good people realized they couldn't make better music than them, which is why in my opinion, no one made it as big as them in the same genre afterwards, they were so great, they had so much incredible tunes, no band like em could possibly get famous , or it would have to be better, and that's almost fucking impossible. That doesn't mean they didn't influence anyone, on the contrary, but I think most bands they influenced tried a different genre because they knew they couldn't be better than Guns N' Roses.

I don't know, that's how I feel as a musician, with my band, we're influenced by Guns N' Roses,our music is in the continuity of Guns N' Roses but at the same time i'm afraid we're going nowhere if we try to do some hard rock. It's like that Slash last album. It's ok, but if there hadn't been Guns N' Roses before, everybody would find this album genius. The problem is that which such a legacy in rock n roll, it's next to impossible to make a decent album!

Guns N' Roses didn't deny their inspirations but they were something of their own that brought something new, unique, and just awesome.

And then.....they were gone.

Yeah Nirvana are gone but nobody miss this pile of shit. However I'm gonna see Guns N' Roses who happen to still exist twice in the same week in 4 weeks. Life is good.

Edited by D..