Who's Up For?

Lose Your Illusions

I'm not the type of fan to say "Axl should do this" but I just want to see if anyone else agrees with me on this. who's knows if we will even get a new record but let's just say we are.

To make a Chinese Democracy type of album we could be waiting for years and years. Not saying we will, but it is certaintly a possibilty. Sure, Axl could just release a box-set or whatever of material from up to eleven years ago, i do not see him doing this, (hold for stupid jokes like "wasnt chinese democracy that") My point is would anyone like to see the current incarnation of Guns do a more rock n' roll type of record? Think about it: The lineup (no Bucket, no Finck) as it stands now is more rock n' roll (See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-QZJsf-hXI and

I do not see the 2002 lineup or the 2006 lineup doing that) than it is Chinese Democracy sounding. Wouldn't it fit this lineup more? A rock n roll type record would take less time. Alot less time than a CD II. Frank Ferrer, as Brain himself said is more like Steven Adler in a sense that he is more rock n' roll. I think we all know Bumbles is straight up rock n roll from his music influences. And dont tell me Richard aint

In the end it is all up to Axl. I'll support him either way. All i'm saying is a rock n' roll type of record would take less time ( in fact the original intention of Axl way back in 98 or so was to make a rock n roll type record. he said the reason for not making a rock n roll type record was Slash. But i believe in this lineup and i think they could pull it off) and also it fits this lineup more IMO. For the Buckethead stuff GNR can release a box set or something.

so what do u guys think?

CD didn't take 11, or 14, or 15 years or whatever it was.

Rebuilding the band, fighting lawsuits, and all the fun that came with it - that's what took so long.

I would love for Guns to do both. There's enough music still around to make a sequel of sorts to CD, from what we've heard (The General, Thyme, Seven, Oklahoma, Down by the Ocean, Zodiac, Atlas Shrugged, Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul) - why not put that out AND come out with a straight-up rock n' roll album?

Wishful thinking, I know. But I'd love to see both (I keep saying this, maybe I'll bore someone into considering it ;))

Why is everyone so focused on the start from scratch album being pure rock and roll? Bumble has enough range to play classical music, Dj im sure can do excellent ballads, even Tommy's old band The Replacements has some really slow sounding songs.

Edited by Cdlove

Why is everyone so focused on the start from scratch album being pure rock and roll? Bumble has enough range to play classical music, Dj im sure can do excellent ballads, even Tommy's old band The Pretenders has some really slow sounding songs.

The Pretenders? You mean The Replacements? ;)

I just hope this line up gets to hit the studio and record something original. I think they have all the parts to make a great album, whatever style that may be. And of course an albums worth of the leftover CD stuff would be nice. But I will take what I can get when I get it.

Why is everyone so focused on the start from scratch album being pure rock and roll? Bumble has enough range to play classical music, Dj im sure can do excellent ballads, even Tommy's old band The Replacements has some really slow sounding songs.

Rock N Roll does include ballads ya know ;) I think people mean a more blues based RnR sounding album, like AFD & UYI were. I hope it's something like that, with a modern "edge" to it. Kinda like Motley Crue did with SOLA..... (which DJ helped write & produce :thumbsup: )

Edited by tat2d1

I'm not the type of fan to say "Axl should do this" but I just want to see if anyone else agrees with me on this. who's knows if we will even get a new record but let's just say we are.

To make a Chinese Democracy type of album we could be waiting for years and years. Not saying we will, but it is certaintly a possibilty. Sure, Axl could just release a box-set or whatever of material from up to eleven years ago, i do not see him doing this, (hold for stupid jokes like "wasnt chinese democracy that") My point is would anyone like to see the current incarnation of Guns do a more rock n' roll type of record? Think about it: The lineup (no Bucket, no Finck) as it stands now is more rock n' roll (See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-QZJsf-hXI and

I do not see the 2002 lineup or the 2006 lineup doing that) than it is Chinese Democracy sounding. Wouldn't it fit this lineup more? A rock n roll type record would take less time. Alot less time than a CD II. Frank Ferrer, as Brain himself said is more like Steven Adler in a sense that he is more rock n' roll. I think we all know Bumbles is straight up rock n roll from his music influences. And dont tell me Richard aint

In the end it is all up to Axl. I'll support him either way. All i'm saying is a rock n' roll type of record would take less time ( in fact the original intention of Axl way back in 98 or so was to make a rock n roll type record. he said the reason for not making a rock n roll type record was Slash. But i believe in this lineup and i think they could pull it off) and also it fits this lineup more IMO. For the Buckethead stuff GNR can release a box set or something.

so what do u guys think?

Ok so Axl wasn't the one who told Slash that 'he wanted to make a record that sounded more like Pearl Jam'? Don't believe everything Axl says - every side has two stories, and his is the almost unthinkable side that says SLASH didn't want to make a hard rock record. Yeah, right. In every single post he made here, not ONCE did he ever take the blame for anything. You had 4 guys in the same ballpark and one that was on an entirely different planet, and 15 years later he still finds himself alone, musically.

That said, the only thing 99% of the people are waiting for is a reunion. There's half of 1% on this board that really think this new band can be great and do great things and I applaud your optimism but come on...let's cut the bullshit and get these 5 guys back together..

I wouldn't like a back to the roots album at all and it's not very realistic to think such thing is going to happen. It's just a rumour circulating around these forums.

I'd like to hear the rest of the CD stuff, maybe a few new songs.

TS, Robin is influenced by classic rock too, just like Slash - his favourite players are Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Chet Atkins, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck according to http://gnrclub.tripod.com/robin_finck_bio.htm

Edited by Jyrgen

The quickest way to have a new album is to release the unreleased songs.

Ron etc. could probably make an album very quickly (I get the impression Ron could write one in under a week).

Axl however seems to be both a perfectionist and a procrastinator, which is an unholy combination. From everything we know

it would take Axl years to make a new album (I'm not saying that the end result would be bad- CD is my favourite album).

Axl also seems to be reluctant (for whatever reason- it might be legal, who knows) to move past the chinese democracy songs.

Edited by axl666

That said, the only thing 99% of the people are waiting for is a reunion. There's half of 1% on this board that really think this new band can be great and do great things and I applaud your optimism but come on...let's cut the bullshit and get these 5 guys back together..

But you forgot to mention that 50 % of those waiting for a reunion are waiting on a reunion with Buckethead, Robin and Brain.

Edited by kok

But you forgot to mention that 50 % of those waiting for a reunion are waiting on a reunion with Buckethead, Robin and Brain.

Maybe as it pertains to forum members, but not the general public as a whole. There's only 1 reunion they're interested in.....

I do not want another AFD, nor another UYI, nor another CD. I want a fresh sounding record (maybe something meaner and darker as Axl said). Rock n' roll (in the traditional sense of the term) cannot sound fresh and nothing you do while attempting to sound like something that existed before you will ever be great. In my opinion Axl needs to take another step forward and do the undone again, if he is able to do so. I sure as hell am trying to do the undone

so what do u guys think?

Ok so Axl wasn't the one who told Slash that 'he wanted to make a record that sounded more like Pearl Jam'? Don't believe everything Axl says - every side has two stories, and his is the almost unthinkable side that says SLASH didn't want to make a hard rock record. Yeah, right. In every single post he made here, not ONCE did he ever take the blame for anything. You had 4 guys in the same ballpark and one that was on an entirely different planet, and 15 years later he still finds himself alone, musically.

Axl did want to sound like Pearl Jam according to Slash when Slash was still in the band, and i'm sure Axl would agree to saying that now. Or agree to maybe wanting to sound somewhat like Pearl Jam.

Axl wanted to make a more rock n roll souding record in 98 or so when Slash left.

dont confuse the two.

and are u serious about the reunion thing? didnt axl make that shit clear?

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

Nah, I still want to hear the existing album with with The General, Atlas, Soul Monster etc...

Why? Well, first, the music's probably way better than anything the current lineup could write. Secondly, a more "hard rock" approach would not make this band any more Guns N' Roses.

if i were to take a wild guess i'd say axl would want the new line up in the studio recording a rawer sound (or whatever sound those guys gravitate to) then he'll compare this with the shit in the cd 2 vault then put out a record with the best bits from both. the guys in the current line up would probably prefer a record with just them on it but i think axl still considers bucket brain and fink part of the band so...

but i guess the record company might have a big say, unfortunately, on which kind of a record comes out. would be interested to hear if there are any legal stumbling blocks to releasing a new record considering the azoff/riad law suits? and if only the old stuff is viable for release?

so what do u guys think?

Well those 99% of the fans just have to move on, becuase I don't see a reunion happening anyttime soon, or ever.

Axl was the one who wanted to be diverse and began to like other genre's. Slash just wanted to play generic riffy rock. Sure he doesn't take the blame for anything, but you don't know what happned behind the scenes wth the break up. Maybe Axl did push them out, maybe Slash just told him "shut up and sing?" Even what Scott Weiland said could change thing's, " So, my point being that having been in a band with Velvet Revolver now for five and a half years, I'm not quite so sure that it was all Axl's fault."