The Beach Boys "Smile" is getting released

axl_on_drums

Guest Len B'stard

I really wanna get into this band and have been for ages. I've listened to their old stuff n its brilliant and i listened to Pet Sounds cuz Lithium said so and it was brilliant too but for some reason i never seem to get stuck in..

Hmm...huge fan of the group but wasn't Brian Wilson's album considered the best recreation of what his vision? I know bootlegs (like Purple Chick, which is my favourite) have circulated for years but AFAIK there was never any true "definitive" recording since the album was abandoned midway or whatever amidst his breakdown...so while I'm cautiously optimistic I feel this reeks a bit of a cash-in and won't really be a true representation of the album as its myth has lead people to believe, if that makes sense. Should still be interesting though.

EDIT: Should have read all of the article first...they say it's just meant to capture the idea of the album to the best of their abilities and it's a bunch of sessions being released, not a single "album," so I'm definitely excited.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Long awaited albums tend to be huge let downs....

You know better, don't you?

I think it should never be released. Just like Chinese Democracy. Axl should have dropped the name and let it to be just a immortal legend.

Edited by Mal'Akh

Hmm...huge fan of the group but wasn't Brian Wilson's album considered the best recreation of what his vision? I know bootlegs (like Purple Chick, which is my favourite) have circulated for years but AFAIK there was never any true "definitive" recording since the album was abandoned midway or whatever amidst his breakdown...so while I'm cautiously optimistic I feel this reeks a bit of a cash-in and won't really be a true representation of the album as its myth has lead people to believe, if that makes sense. Should still be interesting though.

EDIT: Should have read all of the article first...they say it's just meant to capture the idea of the album to the best of their abilities and it's a bunch of sessions being released, not a single "album," so I'm definitely excited.

Yeah, BWPS was a great example of what SMiLE would have been.. But this thing is going to be the sessions, and maybe the album in sequence..

I'm not bothering with the double album, I'm going for the complete box set, no matter what it costs.

BTW, I like MOK's SMiLE over Purple Chicks.

I think it's a great album, but I can see why he decided to shelve it after Sgt Pepper was released.

There's been a demand for an official Beach Boys release of it for a long time, esp. after Brian put his version out. It also ties in to the Beach Boys 50th. And we really don't need more Pet Sounds reissues.

I like Today and Summer Days (and Summer Nights) a lot. If I'm listening to Pet Sounds I usually add a few from there, like this one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkGOirRalMs

This is pretty awesome too

• 5 months later...

If you've been following the history of the sessions over the years, sometime in the 90s, Brian had thought about putting all the sessions out as software so fans could make their own mixes of if. Once Brian put his "Smile" out, a lot of the fan mixes came out, and the demand to put this out had to have been pretty big for the past 5 years.

I just took a look at Amazon, it's the #5 best selling album on their list.

Mike Love gets a lot of crap for how he feels about Smile & Pet Sounds, but I just think on a songwriting standpoint, he felt shut out, and because he wasn't all that much into drugs, was prob. spinning his wheels being treated like a session musician. Brian had been writing with others more and more, and just thought Van Dyke Parks' writing was a little too esoteric. He's talked about a lyric he asked Van about, and he said he didn't know what it meant either. But Mike also said he respects him as a composer and for "Song Cycle". Brian and Van Dyke did write again for "Orange Crate Art", as well as adding a few pieces here and there to Brian's "Smile".

Van Dyke has a sense of humor now about "Smile"... he composed "Black Sheep" for "Walk Hard".

If you've been following the history of the sessions over the years, sometime in the 90s, Brian had thought about putting all the sessions out as software so fans could make their own mixes of if. Once Brian put his "Smile" out, a lot of the fan mixes came out, and the demand to put this out had to have been pretty big for the past 5 years.

I just took a look at Amazon, it's the #5 best selling album on their list.

Mike Love gets a lot of crap for how he feels about Smile & Pet Sounds, but I just think on a songwriting standpoint, he felt shut out, and because he wasn't all that much into drugs, was prob. spinning his wheels being treated like a session musician. Brian had been writing with others more and more, and just thought Van Dyke Parks' writing was a little too esoteric. He's talked about a lyric he asked Van about, and he said he didn't know what it meant either. But Mike also said he respects him as a composer and for "Song Cycle". Brian and Van Dyke did write again for "Orange Crate Art", as well as adding a few pieces here and there to Brian's "Smile".

Van Dyke has a sense of humor now about "Smile"... he composed "Black Sheep" for "Walk Hard".

#5 already, man this is gonna be a big seller..

Got my copies already. The box set, double CD and Vinyl set, the deluxe is amazingly cheap, I got it for 110 before they jacked it up to 146.

Well said about Mike Love, the man get's a lot of shit but I see where he was coming from

• 2 months later...