Would Axl be a sound board persons nightmare?

bigcountry

It just seems to that the way Axl sings with so many ways that it would be a sound persons nightmare .

There are times when his voice going from low to high in a second and he will also sing louder at times and not so loud as others.

Like it's so easy letting the crowd here him during the low parts and not blowing there head off went he get loud and raspy.

Yes but not because if the ways you've described. He has really excellent mic technique where he can somewhat control the volume. For the foldback/monitor sound techs he would be pretty hard, I think. Getting the levels in the monitors right for a singer can be a little frustrating, especially for a show like GN'R.

Isn't there a way to apply compression to the mic so the quiet sounds are boosted and the louder sounds are made quiter? I am not a sound guy so I don't know if there is a way to do that or not. Either way Axl could just point the mic farther away when he is loud and pulls it back towards him when he wants to sing in his lower register and leave the rest to the sound guys

Isn't there a way to apply compression to the mic so the quiet sounds are boosted and the louder sounds are made quiter? I am not a sound guy so I don't know if there is a way to do that or not. Either way Axl could just point the mic farther away when he is loud and pulls it back towards him when he wants to sing in his lower register and leave the rest to the sound guys

That's what I mean by Axl's mic technique. He knows where to hold it when singing at different levels. Because there is so much going on in a GN'R show, sound wise, it would be pretty helpful to have a sound check each show to set the levels. As we all know, Axl doesn't really do soundcheck which is why (if anyone else has noticed) the first few songs of some shows are a little ordinary especially the levels on the vocals.

I know this site is all about credibility and I have none. However, I was told a story about a guy that used to be a sound technician and eventually went on tour with acts such as Van Halen, Prince, GNR, AC/DC, etc. I was told tons of stories about a lot of the bands he worked with. Most of the crazy ones were from VH. Apparently Prince is more of a dick and perfectionist than Axl and this sound tech told Prince it was his way or he walked and Prince kept him. He said Axl was an ass/perfectionist/difficult to deal with but he knew where he was coming from in terms of just wanting it to sound the best. He also said that the first time Axl threw his mic into the crowd that he was trying to throw it at the sound guy because something was screwed up and he got pissed. The sound tech actually caught the mic and Axl has been throwing his mic ever since. I actually believe all of the stories besides the mic throwing. I'm skeptical on that one.

Axl's mic technique was one (big) reason Live Era was such a nightmare and had to be pieced together like a puzzle.

Well, I never got the chance to see GN'R pre 1993 so I wouldn't know but from the videos and live boots I've seen n heard, his technique hasn't seemed to change and it's pretty awesome now.

I find it funny how this is true yet Axl still gets mad at the soundboard guy all the time... even though he must know his voice would be hard to prepare for and he never goes to sound-check..

I don't think he gets mad at the FOH soundtech, I think he's mad at the side of stage tech who is in control of the foldbacks.

Axl is not a sound board persons nightmare because of the way he sings, he is a sound board persons nightmare because he is unprofessional ie., always late and acts up childish. I'd demand atleast quadruple pay to work as his monitors guy and a +x20 bonus if he is over 30 minutes late. And just so that you guys know, the guy who mixes the monitors is the one from the crew who takes 95% of the heat from the artist(s) if things are not going well on stage.

behind the real mixing desk I don't see how Axl'd be a problem. If you look past the being late et al. You know the songs so its easy to adjust the compressor to be this for the ballads and another thing for the "rockers" or so. and yeah it'd be easy to wing some extra oomph to his little tricks since he does the same things all the time..

Axl is not a sound board persons nightmare because of the way he sings, he is a sound board persons nightmare because he is unprofessional ie., always late and acts up childish. I'd demand atleast quadruple pay to work as his monitors guy and a +x20 bonus if he is over 30 minutes late. And just so that you guys know, the guy who mixes the monitors is the one from the crew who takes 95% of the heat from the artist(s) if things are not going well on stage.

behind the real mixing desk I don't see how Axl'd be a problem. If you look past the being late et al. You know the songs so its easy to adjust the compressor to be this for the ballads and another thing for the "rockers" or so. and yeah it'd be easy to wing some extra oomph to his little tricks since he does the same things all the time..

Maybe Guns n Roses isn't for you. Perhaps you could go post on another forum, say... Lady Gaga or something of that nature.

Yet another post about a poster rather than a comment on the topic. Mabey YOU should go to another forum since you take issue with everyones opinion.

Just a thought.  really, what did he say that would indicate he wasnt a fan or that he liked GaGa.....?

Actually, dont go. I find the Axl Rose forum police very entertaining.

Yet another post about a poster rather than a comment on the topic. Mabey YOU should go to another forum since you take issue with everyones opinion.

Just a thought.  really, what did he say that would indicate he wasnt a fan or that he liked GaGa.....?

Hmmm. Sooo, him using this thread as a vehicle to lob YET ANOTHER criticism at Axl is okay, but me pointing out that all he does is make such posts is not okay. I guess I understand how things are moderated over on other forums. Talk about "forum police." You fucking joined in February '11. Or did you? You're just another fucking alt or sock.

I can talk about the topic. Ready?

I still don't understand why a high-end, advanced compressor couldn't be used to mitigate some of the things described in the thread. It still has not been concretely described how, exactly Axl is defeating this mechanism. I've read the explanations thus far, but still, I'd like to hear from someone who works with such equipment on a regular basis. I guess we'll just have to wait for someone to weigh in I guess.

Hmmm. Sooo, him using this thread as a vehicle to lob YET ANOTHER criticism at Axl is okay, but me pointing out that all he does is make such posts is not okay. I guess I understand how things are moderated over on other forums. Talk about "forum police." You fucking joined in February '11. Or did you? You're just another fucking alt or sock.

I was talking about Axl vs sound engineers, *what the fuck were you talking about?*

You don't think Axl going over two hours late isn't a problem for the technical crew? you really think that? dumb motherfucker.

I've posted lots of other stuff than Axl criticism here, but of course, since you are a little shit who only likes to play the forum police game that's all you ever read.

I was talking about Axl vs sound engineers, *what the fuck were you talking about?*

You don't think Axl going over two hours late isn't a problem for the technical crew? you really think that? dumb motherfucker.

I've posted lots of other stuff than Axl criticism here, but of course, since you are a little shit who only likes to play the forum police game that's all you ever read.

Phaeryen, just drop it ok!! Axl is God!! Axl doesn't need to show up for soundcheck. Axl can show up 2 hours late for a show and he is blameless. Axl can do no wrong!!

In all seriousness, it's best to ignore people like Sailaway. Seriously, Axl could shit in a cup on stage and Sailaway would still defend it.

Phaeryen, just drop it ok!! Axl is God!! Axl doesn't need to show up for soundcheck. Axl can show up 2 hours late for a show and he is blameless. Axl can do no wrong!!

In all seriousness, it's best to ignore people like Sailaway. Seriously, Axl could shit in a cup on stage and Sailaway would still defend it.

If he had 2 naked chicks there to eat it, I would defend it too.

No one said anything about naked chicks brahhhh!!

No one said anything about naked chicks brahhhh!!

Then I don't condone any shitting in cups onstage.

Wow you must really think people have just as retarded short term memories as you. So allow me to quote you talking about axl: "because he is unprofessional...and acts up childish." YOU MAKE THOSE KINDS OF POSTS IN EVERY THREAD, or once again do you think people have the same holes in their brain that you do when it comes to memory. Nice attempt at spin though.

Well hey don't worry, you will never be skilled enough to even have the opportunity to be Axl's monitor guy, so don't worry about it. (just in case you "forgot" again, you made a comment about charging them more to be their sound guy, LMAO ROFLCOPTER HAHAHA).

YOU WILL NEVER, EVER BE AXL's SOUND GUY. But thanks for acting like you're even qualified you nubcake.

So you post other things than bitching about Axl, eh? Coulda fooled me. In fact, I just searched through your history. You're a bitter, misanthropic, unhappy malcontent. I relish every time Axl does something that pisses you off. It's funny.