I don't care that Axl won't play new songs

GnR Chris

I'm one the big Axl Rose fans that can't wait for the day to hear new music. I eagerly await a time (if it ever happens) when Axl will drop a single or announce a record or whatever. And I've always wanted to hear new music live ... until of course I'm at the show.

Honestly, all the setlist complaints, or the majority of them, seem to come from people who aren't actually in attendance. And I admit I've watched the setlists threads here as well for some shows hoping to see an oldie return or a new song played.

But both Guns shows I attended this and last year, I was ecstatic for every song they played even if all sans a couple were fully expected. I WANT to hear the classics. I'm sorry, but nothing gets the crowd to lose their fucking shit like "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Nightrain" and more. It'd be a crime not to play those songs every goddamn time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But both Guns shows I attended this and last year, I was ecstatic for every song they played even if all sans a couple were fully expected. I WANT to hear the classics. I'm sorry, but nothing gets the crowd to lose their fucking shit like "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Nightrain" and more. It'd be a crime not to play those songs every goddamn time.

This.

I'm one the big Axl Rose fans that can't wait for the day to hear new music. I eagerly await a time (if it ever happens) when Axl will drop a single or announce a record or whatever. And I've always wanted to hear new music live ... until of course I'm at the show.

Honestly, all the setlist complaints, or the majority of them, seem to come from people who aren't actually in attendance. And I admit I've watched the setlists threads here as well for some shows hoping to see an oldie return or a new song played.

I agree. They have to play for the majority at the shows. Most people don't want to hear songs they've never heard before. I think most people don't even know Chinese Democracy.

I agree. They have to play for the majority at the shows. Most people don't want to hear songs they've never heard before. I think most people don't even know Chinese Democracy.

You're right about that.

In 2010 there were people acting like they were the biggest Guns fans, and they glued themselves to the front fence. During every single song from CD they were looking at each other: WTF????

You're right about that.

In 2010 there were people acting like they were the biggest Guns fans, and they glued themselves to the front fence. During every single song from CD they were looking at each other: WTF????

It's probably the same people that show up to the show and are upset that Slash isn't there.

It's sad, really, how a lot of diehard Guns N' Roses fans aren't familiar with Axl's work post-classic lineup.

But it was nice that at the show at House of Blues Chicago I heard a lot of people raving about new band members. There were a lot of DJ Ashba fans (girls) even though I personally think he's a caricature of Slash.

One guy who didn't know DJ asked, "Is he better than Slash?" and the chick answered, "Hell yeah! At least I think he is."

And the crowd was on fire for "Better." It got the best reaction from the CD songs.

But all in all, the real electricity came with the classic oldies. And that's the thing, when I'm at a show, I feed off crowd energy and I'm sure the band feeds off crowd energy. So you wanna play the stuff that you know is gonna connect with them. Everyone was pumped through Chinese Democracy but when Axl asked us if we know where we are, I've never had a more glorious concert moment. We were all jumping up and down and bumping and grinding into each other. Man. That show was sick. Sorry ... still buzzing.

Edit: A note on that girl who loved DJ. I had to turn around and chime in and say, "Fuck no he's not better than Slash." I hated to have to be THAT guy and didn't wanna perpetuate the whole old vs new stuff, but I couldn't let some chick tell me DJ is better than Slash. lol

Edited by GnR Chris

You're right about that.

It's probably the same people that show up to the show and are upset that Slash isn't there.

You're right.

It's sad, really, how a lot of diehard Guns N' Roses fans aren't familiar with Axl's work post-classic lineup.

But it was nice that at the show at House of Blues Chicago I heard a lot of people raving about new band members. There were a lot of DJ Ashba fans (girls) even though I personally think he's a caricature of Slash.

One guy who didn't know DJ asked, "Is he better than Slash?" and the chick answered, "Hell yeah! At least I think he is."

And the crowd was on fire for "Better." It got the best reaction from the CD songs.

But all in all, the real electricity came with the classic oldies. And that's the thing, when I'm at a show, I feed off crowd energy and I'm sure the band feeds off crowd energy. So you wanna play the stuff that you know is gonna connect with them. Everyone was pumped through Chinese Democracy but when Axl asked us if we know where we are, I've never had a more glorious concert moment. We were all jumping up and down and bumping and grinding into each other. Man. That show was sick. Sorry ... still buzzing.

Edit: A note on that girl who loved DJ. I had to turn around and chime in and say, "Fuck no he's not better than Slash." I hated to have to be THAT guy and didn't wanna perpetuate the whole old vs new stuff, but I couldn't let some chick tell me DJ is better than Slash. lol

I was at the Chicago show too. It was sick. Loved every minute of it. I like DJ, but I have to agree with you, he's not better than Slash. Better looking than Slash, yes.

I was at the Chicago show too. It was sick. Loved every minute of it. I like DJ, but I have to agree with you, he's not better than Slash. Better looking than Slash, yes.

The entire thing was beyond great. Where were you seated/standing at the show? I was right-center to the stage, which is usually DJ's spot so it maybe explains why all the DJ fans crowded around there. haha

The entire thing was beyond great. Where were you seated/standing at the show? I was right-center to the stage, which is usually DJ's spot so it maybe explains why all the DJ fans crowded around there. haha

I want a repeat! Luckily I get to see them again Thursday in Atlanta. :D I was on the left side of the stage, where there weren't a lot of DJ fans (girls). haha

So I'm not a true fan, or a die-hard fan because I am exited to hear new music from my favorite band? Uhh, ok. I've seen the current band three times and loved every show.

Wanting new music does not mean you aren't a fan. That is just ridiculous.

I am blown away that some fans of a band actually don't care about new music. So because GnR will never make another appetite again, they should just stop creating new music for the rest of their careers and just play the old classics (that were created by a different band?

If you are happy with all the nostalgia tours - fine. I personally love the old stuff, but also want to see what this band can do. We know they are a top notch cover band.....let's see what they can create themselves!!!

So I'm not a true fan, or a die-hard fan because I am exited to hear new music from my favorite band? Uhh, ok. I've seen the current band three times and loved every show.

I am blown away that some fans of a band actually don't care about new music. So because GnR will never make another appetite again, they should just stop creating new music for the rest of their careers and just play the old classics (that were created by a different band?

If you are happy with all the nostalgia tours - fine. I personally love the old stuff, but also want to see what this band can do. We know they are a top notch cover band.....let's see what they can create themselves!!!

I'm not sure he meant that he doesn't want to hear new music. I think he meant more along of the lines of that he doesn't care if they release new music anytime soon because he still satisfied with only hearing the old songs and CD. I'm sure he would love to hear new music!

So I'm not a true fan, or a die-hard fan because I am exited to hear new music from my favorite band?

No one said that. Stop twisting.

We all want new music dude, what happens is that some of us are not obsessed with it and don´t bitch and complain about it all the time. New music will come when it has to come not when you demand it. And according to you the current members are a cover band because they play the old hits, am I correct?. Now now, by following your logic, the old band was also a cover band since they played Live and let die, Knocking on heaven´s doors and all the covers included in the Spaghetti Incident cd....but I guess you won´t accept that.

At what point did I discount someone else's fandom? I'm just saying that I realized both times when I was standing there and Axl was belting out hit after hit, that I wanted that crowd enthusiasm and energy to keep going. And all I could think of was "I can't wait for FILL IN THE BLANK" or "FILL IN THE BLANK."

Of course I'd like to hear new music, but it's a non-issue when I'm actually at the show. I'm going every time Axl is in town, no questions asked. I don't care how many times I hear "Welcome to the Jungle." Each time is insane. I got a little bit something different this time than last. "Civil War," "You're Crazy," "Used to Love Her" were all played at HoB and not at Allstate Arena. And at Allstate, I got to hear the AC/DC covers, which I didn't think I'd enjoy, but "Riff Raff" was fucking sick.

I'm not sure he meant that he doesn't want to hear new music. I think he meant more along of the lines of that he doesn't care if they release new music anytime soon because he still satisfied with only hearing the old songs and CD. I'm sure he would love to hear new music!

Yeah, pretty much this. I do CARE if new music is released though. I want to hear all the stuff in the vault. I want this current lineup to release something so I can consider them "Guns N' Roses" and not a cover band (and when they play CD material, a cover of a cover band).

I want Axl to form a new legacy with a new group, something he envisioned long ago. But yes, I'm not gonna bitch about it anymore. Most of the people who go to the shows want to hear what they know anyhow. He DESTROYED "Better" during the encore by the way. I mean that in a good guy. The crowd were raving lunatics for it. Either everyone knew it or it was such a kick ass live performance people fed off it. It was one of the bigger responses of the night, in my opinion.

At what point did I discount someone else's fandom? I'm just saying that I realized both times when I was standing there and Axl was belting out hit after hit, that I wanted that crowd enthusiasm and energy to keep going. And all I could think of was "I can't wait for FILL IN THE BLANK" or "FILL IN THE BLANK."

Of course I'd like to hear new music, but it's a non-issue when I'm actually at the show. I'm going every time Axl is in town, no questions asked. I don't care how many times I hear "Welcome to the Jungle." Each time is insane. I got a little bit something different this time than last. "Civil War," "You're Crazy," "Used to Love Her" were all played at HoB and not at Allstate Arena. And at Allstate, I got to hear the AC/DC covers, which I didn't think I'd enjoy, but "Riff Raff" was fucking sick.

Yeah, pretty much this. I do CARE if new music is released though. I want to hear all the stuff in the vault. I want this current lineup to release something so I can consider them "Guns N' Roses" and not a cover band (and when they play CD material, a cover of a cover band).

I want Axl to form a new legacy with a new group, something he envisioned long ago. But yes, I'm not gonna bitch about it anymore. Most of the people who go to the shows want to hear what they know anyhow. He DESTROYED "Better" during the encore by the way. I mean that in a good guy. The crowd were raving lunatics for it. Either everyone knew it or it was such a kick ass live performance people fed off it. It was one of the bigger responses of the night, in my opinion.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel. I would love to hear the music the new line up comes up with! It could take one year, or it could take 3 years. It doesn't matter to me cause when I'm at a show and I hear the first riff of Jungle or Shacklers or somethin, I go fucking nuts :)

I saw them in '06, and in '11. I'm kind of sick of Street of Dreams to be honest. I think they could be switching up the setlist with more CD songs.

Ahhh I love Street of Dreams. But I love TWAT more. They should switch those! :)

So I'm not a true fan, or a die-hard fan because I am exited to hear new music from my favorite band?

We all want new music dude, what happens is that some of us are not obsessed with it and don´t bitch and complain about it all the time. New music will come when it has to come not when you demand it. And according to you the current members are a cover band because they play the old hits, am I correct?. Now now, by following your logic, the old band was also a cover band since they played Live and let die, Knocking on heaven´s doors and all the covers included in the Spaghetti Incident cd....but I guess you won´t accept that.

You really can't be that dense.....seriously.

The old band would play 2-3 covers live, and then maybe 20 of their originals.

What does the new band do? Is the ratio even close? From the last show, how many songs were created by DJ, bumblefoot and frank???????

What percentage of the songs were created by the current band??????????

Is your head so far up Axl's ass that you cannot even comprehend reality?

When you tour for years, playing songs created by other musicians.......what would you call that band?

The funny thing is I used to be called a Nutter in here, and complained about it. But now I understand why people use that word to describe some of you. Axl could piss on your face and some of you would say "thanks, I was hit and thirsty. Thank u!"

The flaw in that logic is that that was Guns N' Roses covering The Beatles/Bob Dylan/etc. This band is Guns N' Roses covering Guns N' Roses.... Putting out an entire album of covers doesn't make you a cover band. But playing a decent portion of songs live which were written by other people does.

I don't think this band is a nostalgic cover band yet, but as each tour goes on, the notion seems more and more valid. I can understand that they haven't hit parts of the US post-Chidem release and that this is to promote and endorse Chinese Democracy(even though it can't be found at brick and mortar shops...). However if no new material is played at the European tour(which they already have toured), it will seal the deal for me.

Edited by Young_Gun

You really can't be that dense.....seriously.

The old band would play 2-3 covers live, and then maybe 20 of their originals.

What does the new band do? Is the ratio even close? From the last show, how many songs were created by DJ, bumblefoot and frank???????

What percentage of the songs were created by the current band??????????

Is your head so far up Axl's ass that you cannot even comprehend reality?

When you tour for years, playing songs created by other musicians.......what would you call that band?

The funny thing is I used to be called a Nutter in here, and complained about it. But now I understand why people use that word to describe some of you. Axl could piss on your face and some of you would say "thanks, I was hit and thirsty. Thank u!"

You are really disrespectful towards people that appreciate Axl and what he does, and why do you have to say things like this over and over and over again?