Why does this Skrillex guy have over 70 million views for this shitty techno song?

ITW 2012

Maybe you guys should get some friends and go out to clubs instead of jerking yourselves off to Poison. Skrillex (and dubstep in general) is good music to listen to with friends at a bar, or even just chilling at home playing vidya gaems. Is it the most technical and complex of music? No. But that doesn't make an artist good. The Ramones weren't complex in the least, are they any less of a good band? No. There always has to be "that" genre or "that" band that everyone hops on the bandwagon for hating. Don't like it? Fine. But don't go parading around much like some dickless stoners saying how "the 80's were so much better". Goddamn, the 80's had TERRIBLE music. Every decade has terrible music and good music. But it's all subjective on what you view as terrible. I think bands like Oasis are dull pop idols, but do you see me making threads "OMG WHY TF DO THEY HAVE SUCH HIGH VIEWS?! TURRIBLE! ABSOROOTRY TURRIBLE". Skrillex has 70 mil views because it's enjoyable music. Deal with it.

Not to mention, dubstep is awesome when you're on E.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean whole music is regressing.

In Rock back in 80s and 90s we had GN'R, Alice in Chains, Rolling Stones to name a few now ? Nickelbeck , Godsmack , 30second to Mars

In Pop there were great artists Rod Stewart, Joe Cocker, Tina Turner, even Madonna now ? Lena Del Ray, Britney and Maroon 5

In Electro we had Daft Punkt and now everybody is listening to dubstep shit.

Herp derp, those darn kids with their hippin and their hoppin! What has the world come to?

They dont know what the jazz is all about.

I'll never be able to take Skrillex seriously because i still remember this horrible band he was the lead singer in

anyway, whats become known as dubstep came and it will go like any other genre of dance music. You can't rely on the same half time rhythm (which all of this flashy womp womp highly produced dubstep does) for every song and still call it a whole genre like it has any longevity, people will get bored and move on to something more interesting, unless they're retarded. which, there's a LOT of retarded people walking amongst us so who knows, we'll just have to see

I checked out his old band the other day because Wikipedia said it was post hardcore so I was expecting it to sound like Helmet. Emo rubbish more like it.

On the other hand....you've got a problem with the timing/rhythm of it? As opposed to 99.9% of music, in its 4/4 glory?

In Rock back in 80s and 90s we had GN'R, Alice in Chains, Rolling Stones to name a few now ? Nickelbeck , Godsmack , 30second to Mars

In Pop there were great artists Rod Stewart, Joe Cocker, Tina Turner, even Madonna now ? Lena Del Ray, Britney and Maroon 5

I love you how you name good old acts and bad modern acts. Fucking pathetic.

Every era had bad music:

80s: Poison, Tiffany, New Kids On The Block, Kiss, Ratt, Milli Vanilli, etc.

90s: Candlebox, Bush, Live, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Color Me Badd, Backstreet Boys, etc..

Every era had bad music:

90s: Candlebox, Bush, Live, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Color Me Badd, Backstreet Boys, etc..

Weren't you the guy I used to argue with over the quality of those very bands a few years ago?

Because it's the song that got dubstep a mainstream audience, the sound wasn't original, there'd been dubstep for years but it was new and fresh to a lot of people who'd never heard that kind of music. And it's easier to get into that most dubstep, more accessible, which is why it's done so well.

Does nothing for me though, I'm not saying it's good at all. It's alright if you're fucked as someones said, but what isn't.

Edited by Snake Eyes

I'll never be able to take Skrillex seriously because i still remember this horrible band he was the lead singer in

anyway, whats become known as dubstep came and it will go like any other genre of dance music. You can't rely on the same half time rhythm (which all of this flashy womp womp highly produced dubstep does) for every song and still call it a whole genre like it has any longevity, people will get bored and move on to something more interesting, unless they're retarded. which, there's a LOT of retarded people walking amongst us so who knows, we'll just have to see

I checked out his old band the other day because Wikipedia said it was post hardcore so I was expecting it to sound like Helmet. Emo rubbish more like it.

On the other hand....you've got a problem with the timing/rhythm of it? As opposed to 99.9% of music, in its 4/4 glory?

I love when shit is broken down into half time, it can be really effective when applied to the right context within a composition. Dubstep rides the half time beat from beginning to end... meh, pretty boring if you ask me.

As far as that idea is concerned, I think its done much better by Nerve than Skrillex.

http://nerve.bandcamp.com/

Every era had bad music:

I agree with the rest, but I don't think Candlebox should be there, they had some good stuff back in the 90's.

Every era had bad music:

Aren't you suposed to be Mr. hair metal and GUN N' ROSES IS SLEAZE ROCK AND GLAM!!!? Now you hate on Poison and Ratt?

Say what you wish about Skrillex but what I know for sure is that the guy knows how to mix and master his songs.

You may hate his music, but his production is fantastic. :shrugs:

great post.

And if tens of millions of people like it, he must be doing something right.

Not every song or album has to be an epic voyage that changes your life. Sometimes music should be light and fun and something u can just go dance to.

Steak and lobster every night would get boring. Nothing wrong with having a pizza or take out chinese food every now and again.

I love that there is a large variety of music to choose from. Doesn't mean I like it all, but I'm glad there is music for people that do like it. And If this guy has 70 million views then he is filling a niche that people enjoy.

Edited by Groghan

Say what you wish about Skrillex but what I know for sure is that the guy knows how to mix and master his songs.

Not every song or album has to be an epic voyage that changes your life. Sometimes music should be light and fun and something u can just go dance to.

Steak and lobster every night would get boring. Nothing wrong with having a pizza or take out chinese food every now and again.

Exactly. Its like me. You gotta have dance music and shit to go out and listen to. I don't wanna listen to And Justice for All start to finish when I go out. I want something light hearted so I can rip shit up. How many of us, myself included, rip on glam? Yeah, but how many of us are out there singing our lungs out to Bad Medicine or Livin on a Prayer?

Exactly. Its like me. You gotta have dance music and shit to go out and listen to. I don't wanna listen to And Justice for All start to finish when I go out. I want something light hearted so I can rip shit up. How many of us, myself included, rip on glam? Yeah, but how many of us are out there singing our lungs out to Bad Medicine or Livin on a Prayer?

Exactly.

I suppose its techno or dubsteb or whatever it is today.

When I was a kid it was the hair band era. And bottom line......if you have two parties at houses side by side, and one has poison and bon jovi and warrant playing, and one house had slayer and metallica and motorhead playing.....which house do u think 95% of the girls were at?

One house had all the girls, dancing, drinking, skinny dipping, etc.

One house had 10 dudes and 2 girls, sitting around the living room, passing a joint around, talking about how lame the other party must be.

Same thing today. A club or rave is there for people to dance and have fun. Not discuss the lyrical content of the last coldplay or Muse album.

Edited by Groghan

Exactly.

I suppose its techno or dubsteb or whatever it is today.

When I was a kid it was the hair band era. And bottom line......if you have two parties at houses side by side, and one has poison and bon jovi and warrant playing, and one house had slayer and metallica and motorhead playing.....which house do u think 95% of the girls were at?

One house had all the girls, dancing, drinking, skinny dipping, etc.

One house had 10 dudes and 2 girls, sitting around the living room, passing a joint around, talking about how lame the other party must be.

Same thing today. A club or rave is there for people to dance and have fun. Not discuss the lyrical content of the last coldplay or Muse album.

This. Don't get me wrong like Metallica is like one of my fave bands so like if Sandman or Sad But True comes on I'm definitely getting into it. For Whom The Bell Tolls and Puppets as well, other than that how many other Metallica songs can you do when you go out?

Not too sure about Poison, but yeah all that Bon Jovi crap and a little Cherry Pie is definite audio crack when your out on a Saturday night.

It's alright when I listen to the album though it becomes like a wall, you almost don't listen to it. I guess when something new comes along people make it their own and all the variations are titanic innovations. i could see it working in a movie or something.

Guest Len B'stard
......if you have two parties at houses side by side, and one has poison and bon jovi and warrant playing, and one house had slayer and metallica and motorhead playing.....which house do u think 95% of the girls were at?

The one on the other side of town playing hip hop? :D

Edited by sugaraylen