One In A Million

spunko12345

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, but what's the bigger picture? What's the song actually saying?

That he's a little redneck white boy who doesn't understand anything in the big city........ does that make this song less stupid? no.

Oh, come off it. Everyone has felt what he said at some point in our lives, be it stepping into LA or stepping into the kindergarten classroom on your first day of school. It's not right, but it's still a legitimate feeling. Sure, we grow out of it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. It's part of what makes us human.

Axl wrote a song about the ugly side of every human being on this planet. I think that's commendable. It's one of the things that drew me to GN'R -- they weren't afraid to be honest.

It's not like the song is promoting these feelings -- it's pointing out yes, the feelings are there, and yes, the feelings are born out of ignorance. That's a strong message, perhaps the strongest message in GN'R's entire catalog.

I don't think the lyrics try to say anything more then how he feelt abot coming to LA for the first time and even if it tries to be deeper it's still racist. You would never listen to some one saying "I don't understand what the deal is with all these imigrants. They think that they can just do what they want. You can't even understand a damn thing what they are saying, this is america and in america we speak english!" if you would hear someone saying stuff like that would you think that's honest and saying it how it is?

It's nothing honest about saying stupid shit because the only thing you're honest about is being stupid.

It's not about a racist promoting his views. It's about an initial feeling. Art is supposed to be about expressing feelings, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

What are your feelings about Kim by Eminem? That it's promoting murder? That Eminem was rapping about being stupid?

Those two songs have a lot in common, in my opinion. They show the ugly side of humanity in a first person narrative, and that's why I find these songs powerful. The feelings aren't right, but they're there, and there's no reason to pretend that they're not.

That he's a little redneck white boy who doesn't understand anything in the big city........ does that make this song less stupid? no.

Oh, come off it. Everyone has felt what he said at some point in our lives, be it stepping into LA or stepping into the kindergarten classroom on your first day of school. It's not right, but it's still a legitimate feeling. Sure, we grow out of it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. It's part of what makes us human.

Axl wrote a song about the ugly side of every human being on this planet. I think that's commendable. It's one of the things that drew me to GN'R -- they weren't afraid to be honest.

It's not like the song is promoting these feelings -- it's pointing out yes, the feelings are there, and yes, the feelings are born out of ignorance. That's a strong message, perhaps the strongest message in GN'R's entire catalog.

I don't think the lyrics try to say anything more then how he feelt abot coming to LA for the first time and even if it tries to be deeper it's still racist. You would never listen to some one saying "I don't understand what the deal is with all these imigrants. They think that they can just do what they want. You can't even understand a damn thing what they are saying, this is america and in america we speak english!" if you would hear someone saying stuff like that would you think that's honest and saying it how it is?

It's nothing honest about saying stupid shit because the only thing you're honest about is being stupid.

It's not about a racist promoting his views. It's about an initial feeling. Art is supposed to be about expressing feelings, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

What are your feelings about Kim by Eminem? That it's promoting murder? That Eminem was rapping about being stupid?

Those two songs have a lot in common, in my opinion. They show the ugly side of humanity in a first person narrative, and that's why I find these songs powerful. The feelings aren't right, but they're there, and there's no reason to pretend that they're not.

Axl never said this, though.

Btw, can't believe so many of you think using the actual words is the big deal. Using the N word is not always a big deal, but in what context does he use the words? He is singing about spreading fucking diseases, coming to our country and doing as they please etc. THAT is the problem. How is that hard to comprehend?

Edited by Changes

Btw, can't believe so many of you think using the actual words is the big deal. Using the N word is not always a big deal, but in what context does he use the words? He is singing about spreading fucking diseases, coming to our country and doing as they please etc. THAT is the problem. How is that hard to comprehend?

How about not being so easily offended?

are you saying that being a murderer and being black or gay are the same thing?....

So there is no difference between this song and Used to Love Her for examplel? So when he sings about a fictional murder is the same thing as singing that imigrants just come to the country and spreading diseases and just are doing what they want?

and I didn't say it promotes racism but that doesn't make the lyrics and context less rasict.

and these lyrics doesn't contain anything more then what you would expect from a redneck or average national party voter. So why not praise these people for speaking the honest ugly truth?

How about not being so easily offended?

I am only offended by some people's lack of ability to comprehend the simplest things.

are you saying that being a murderer and being black or gay are the same thing?....

So there is no difference between this song and Used to Love Her for examplel? So when he sings about a fictional murder is the same thing as singing that imigrants just come to the country and spreading diseases and just are doing what they want?

and I didn't say it promotes racism but that doesn't make the lyrics and context less rasict.

and these lyrics doesn't contain anything more then what you would expect from a redneck or average national party voter. So why not praise these people for speaking the honest ugly truth?

Okay, I'm really confused now.

I likened racism/homophobia/xenophobia to murder because they're both ugly and hateful. I hope that clears things up.

Used to Love Her is tongue-in-cheek and doesn't have a real message behind it. It's supposed to be a funny song. Used to Love Her is nothing like Kim. :lol: I mean, Kim scares the shit out of me.

Anyway, as for your last point, it's different when someone's saying, "F*ggots just spread their fuckin' disease," in a public forum because when they do it, they're expressing a current belief of theirs and promoting it. With OIAM, Axl's telling the story of how this kid initially feels, and he even says in the last verse that the kid is ignorant. It's a story that expresses the ugly side of humanity, and it's not meant to say, "Hey! You should think this way, too! It's the right way!" and it's not a prideful song.

Okay, I'm really confused now.

I likened racism/homophobia/xenophobia to murder because they're both ugly and hateful. I hope that clears things up.

Used to Love Her is tongue-in-cheek and doesn't have a real message behind it. It's supposed to be a funny song. Used to Love Her is nothing like Kim. :lol: I mean, Kim scares the shit out of me.

Anyway, as for your last point, it's different when someone's saying, "F*ggots just spread their fuckin' disease," in a public forum because when they do it, they're expressing a current belief of theirs and promoting it. With OIAM, Axl's telling the story of how this kid initially feels, and he even says in the last verse that the kid is ignorant. It's a story that expresses the ugly side of humanity, and it's not meant to say, "Hey! You should think this way, too! It's the right way!" and it's not a prideful song.

I don't remeber Kim so I hade to pick something else :lol: But I do belive that the pont is still valid.

I don't see how it would matter who says it because it's still a stupid thing to say. And the song is from Axls pov I think he has even said it himselfe so there isn't really any need to try and make it seem more deep. I don't see it as he tries to promote his views but that doesn't make it less racist.

and with that last vers he makes it all seem like when people say stuff like this "I'm not a racist.... but all these ni****s running around in hoodies are just dealing drugs and steels from people"

I don't remeber Kim so I hade to pick something else :lol: But I do belive that the pont is still valid.

I don't see how it would matter who says it because it's still a stupid thing to say. And the song is from Axls pov I think he has even said it himselfe so there isn't really any need to try and make it seem more deep. I don't see it as he tries to promote his views but that doesn't make it less racist.

and with that last vers he makes it all seem like when people say stuff like this "I'm not a racist.... but all these ni****s running around in hoodies are just dealing drugs and steels from people"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JklC61iuIN4

It's scary shit! :lol: At least, in my opinion. It makes me not want to meet Eminem in a dark alley.

I'm not so much as saying Axl specifically, but if any recording artist were to record a song like this, I see it as different as public speaking, y'know? The intent is different. I admit I don't really include Axl's commentary about it because the way he explains the song is so, I don't know, scattered to me. It's like when he explains his lateness -- he never gives a real answer and dodges around the question and says all the wrong things. So I guess I just looked at the lyrics and read them and thought about them, and that's what I pulled out of it, a deeper meaning. Duff goes even further than I do in his book, saying that the song is about society under Reagan or something like that.

Ah, see, I see the last verse as Axl saying, "Don't come at me, bro. I mean no harm and I know I don't know much about these kinds of things. I'm just going about my life."

Lyrics like that need a coherent explanation otherwise people understandably think they are your views. Axl never really explained in full.

I've always thought the song was self explanatory.

"Radicals and Racists

Don't point your finger at me

I'm a small town white boy

Just tryin' to make ends meet

Don't need your religion

Don't watch that much T.V.

Just makin' my livin', baby

Well that's enough for me"

That's just it. Axl once said that the song was about the bus stop and as the song states, this the the view of a "small town white boy". He may think like this or have these views from time to time but he's not acting out on them and he's not harming anyone. Instead he just continues on with his life and that in itself is a profound message imo and it's right there in the song!

this

Ah, see, I see the last verse as Axl saying, "Don't come at me, bro. I mean no harm and I know I don't know much about these kinds of things. I'm just going about my life."

Yes and that's the reason why he should have kept his mouth shut in the first place haha. If he don't want to be called a racist why would he say such racist things :lol:

I'm all for freedom of speech and that people should be able to say whatever racist or stupid things they want but that doesn't change the fact that it's just stupid and racist :P

Edited by Desperado

Lyrics like that need a coherent explanation otherwise people understandably think they are your views. Axl never really explained in full.

I've always thought the song was self explanatory.

"Radicals and Racists

Don't need your religion

Don't watch that much T.V.

Just makin' my livin', baby

Well that's enough for me"

That's just it. Axl once said that the song was about the bus stop and as the song states, this the the view of a "small town white boy". He may think like this or have these views from time to time but he's not acting out on them and he's not harming anyone. Instead he just continues on with his life and that in itself is a profound message imo and it's right there in the song!

this

and if you gona use this lyrics as a justification...

Radicals and racists

...does that mean that you're fine with people saying shit like "I'm not a racist.... but those damn ni****s steels alot of bikes!" :rolleyes:

that is exactly the problem with it.

Yes and that's the reason why he should have kept his mouth shut in the first place haha. If he don't want to be called a racist why would he say such racist things :lol:

I'm all for freedom of speech and that people should be able to say whatever racist or stupid things they want but that doesn't change the fact that it's just stupid and racist :P

So the rappers are all racist and "stupid" (they are) right?

I always thought the song was about his thought process and how everyone has that thought process. You can't help your thoughts!

I suppose he didn't have to write a song about a thought process, but I think it's damn cool he did. I guess I just like songs that, y'know, tear down the blinders and deal with the ugly truth.

why?

if you haven't read any post here I have said 100 times that it's not about the words used in the song it's about the context.... do you understand the difference between a black rapper saying the n word and a white redneck saying that all imigrants do is spreading diseases an just do what ever they want?

why?

if you haven't read any post here I have said 100 times that it's not about the words used in the song it's about the context.... do you understand the difference between a black rapper saying the n word and a white redneck saying that all imigrants do is spreading diseases an just do what ever they want?

Face palm please. It''s Axl's version of a small town white boys initial reaction to LA. And a "black rapper" (your words) just drops n bombs for the shock value. So no, I don't see why it's OK for a "black rapper" to drop n bombs and be derogatory left & right but no one else can.

I always thought the song was about his thought process and how everyone has that thought process. You can't help your thoughts!

I suppose he didn't have to write a song about a thought process, but I think it's damn cool he did. I guess I just like songs that, y'know, tear down the blinders and deal with the ugly truth.

well I think that's an lazy excuse.

And when you say it's an ugly truth do you mean that you agree with the things said in the song? I hope you do understand that the reasons I'm against this song is because it's ignorant and the things said about imigrants and gays have nothing to do with any "truth" it's all just stupid shit. that's is the same thing as saying all these national partys are speaking the "ugly truth" wich they aren't.

well I think that's an lazy excuse.

And when you say it's an ugly truth do you mean that you agree with the things said in the song? I hope you do understand that the reasons I'm against this song is because it's ignorant and the things said about imigrants and gays have nothing to do with any "truth" it's all just stupid shit. that's is the same thing as saying all these national partys are speaking the "ugly truth" wich they aren't.

Oh, okay! Now I see where the misunderstanding is.

When I say "ugly truth," I mean the truth that every human on the planet has felt that way at some point, that every human has ignorantly judged someone else, that every human has felt like a stranger in a strange land and lashed out on someone for no good reason.

Don't worry. I'm one of the people who roots you on when you fight Groghan about gay rights. :xmasssanta:

why?

Face palm please. It''s Axl's version of a small town white boys initial reaction to LA. And a "black rapper" (your words) just drops n bombs for the shock value. So no, I don't see why it's OK for a "black rapper" to drop n bombs and be derogatory left & right but no one else can.

again the n word is just that, a word. it's the context that is the problem if that wasn't clear all other times I said it :rolleyes:

And that small town white boy is a racist and homophobic...... is that so hard to understand? NOT because he says the n word but because he says "Immigrants and fagots, They make no sense to me, They come to our country, And think they'll do as they please, Like start some mini-Iran, Or spread some fucking disease, And they talk so many God damn ways, It's all Greek to me"