Should Axl Rose retire?

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Should Axl Rose retire?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sure whatever. Would anyone outside of these forums even notice?

If Axl faded away, few would even notice. To the masses, even now, Axl isn't all that relevant.

It would be good to know how relevant Axl thinks he is, given the people he surrounds himself by. He genuinely might be clue-less.

How do you explain the thousands of people that go to his shows nightly, and the millions who bought Chinese?

Sure GNR aint what it was in the 80's/90's, but that don't mean they have gone the way of Great White or whatever.... Basically what i'm trying to say is, stop hating. It's lame.

If Axl faded away, few would even notice. To the masses, even now, Axl isn't all that relevant.

It would be good to know how relevant Axl thinks he is, given the people he surrounds himself by. He genuinely might be clue-less.

How do you explain the thousands of people that go to his shows nightly, and the millions who bought Chinese?

Take away the "Guns N' Roses" name - how many of those fans would show up for an Axl Rose solo show?

Just out of curiosity, those saying axl can't sign anymore....have you attended a gig?

I have.

He's perfect on some songs and awful on others. He's consistently inconsistent.

However, my gig was pretty fucking cool because he sang the "With your ass in the air" line AND the whole Street of Dreams outro. :xmasssanta: Not well, mind you, but still. It's the thought that counts.

Take away the "Guns N' Roses" name - how many of those fans would show up for an Axl Rose solo show?

Weak argument. I don't need to take away the "Guns N Roses" name, because like it or not, this is Guns N Roses. And everyone going to these shows and buying the records clearly knows it. Hell, even Izzy and Duff are clearly cool with it.

Weak argument. I don't need to take away the "Guns N Roses" name, because like it or not, this is Guns N Roses. And everyone going to these shows and buying the records clearly knows it. Hell, even Izzy and Duff are clearly cool with it.

Saying it like it is!

Just out of curiosity, those saying axl can't sign anymore....have you attended a gig?

I have.

However, my gig was pretty fucking cool because he sang the "With your ass in the air" line AND the whole Street of Dreams outro. :xmasssanta: Not well, mind you, but still. It's the thought that counts.

Correct me if I'm mistaking you for someone else, but weren't you highly praising of Axl's voice throughout the whole show; right after the concert?

If that was you, did a few YouTube videos really warp your opinion of what you saw with your own eyes?

If it wasn't you, forgive me. There were so many people praising those shows after attending them that it's easy to get mixed up.

I have.

Correct me if I'm mistaking you for someone else, but weren't you highly praising of Axl's voice throughout the whole show; right after the concert?

If that was you, did a few YouTube videos really warp your opinion of what you saw with your own eyes?

If it wasn't you, forgive me. There were so many people praising those shows after attending them that it's easy to get mixed up.

I was highly praising his voice on many of the songs, but I did say that once I really, really focused on his voice during his "weaker" songs, I could hear the Mickey voice. Particularly SCOM, I remember focusing a little catching that he was singing absolutely without rasp. It was a fun show regardless and my favorite concert I've ever been to, but I did hear the Mickey voice.

I've only seen three YouTube videos of my show: Estranged, Street of Dreams, and You Could Be Mine. None of the videos changed my opinion, and I still think it's really cool that he sang the "With your ass in the air" line and the SOD outro. But I was aware during the show of Axl being inconsistent.

Honestly, I could be here and say, "I enjoyed the show no matter what!" and that would be true. When I watched, I hardly cared that he pulled Mickey out on SCOM nor that he sounded brilliant on Jungle. When I argue over his voice, I usually mean as a general fan who wants to see Axl show his stuff the way I know he can, not as a concert-goer. And you may disagree with the perspective with which I criticize, but I can't help it. I'm looking at the bigger picture rather than the smaller one. :shrugs:

I have.

I was highly praising his voice on many of the songs, but I did say that once I really, really focused on his voice during his "weaker" songs, I could hear the Mickey voice. Particularly SCOM, I remember focusing a little catching that he was singing absolutely without rasp. It was a fun show regardless and my favorite concert I've ever been to, but I did hear the Mickey voice.

I've only seen three YouTube videos of my show: Estranged, Street of Dreams, and You Could Be Mine. None of the videos changed my opinion, and I still think it's really cool that he sang the "With your ass in the air" line and the SOD outro. But I was aware during the show of Axl being inconsistent.

Honestly, I could be here and say, "I enjoyed the show no matter what!" and that would be true. When I watched, I hardly cared that he pulled Mickey out on SCOM nor that he sounded brilliant on Jungle. When I argue over his voice, I usually mean as a general fan who wants to see Axl show his stuff the way I know he can, not as a concert-goer. And you may disagree with the perspective with which I criticize, but I can't help it. I'm looking at the bigger picture rather than the smaller one. :shrugs:

I didn't personally get to see a show this tour so all I have to go by is YouTube vids. I kind of like what he's done in the UCAP tour and the European leg. It's not full rasp, which I would prefer; but it's definitely not full Mickey either.

I do agree that he could do better, but I'm not going to speculate on why he's not.

Grace Slick - "All rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire."

Axl Rose turned 50 this year.

Grace herself retired in 1990 at age 50. She came out of retirement for special occasions, like this 1995 performance in tribute to Jefferson Airplane's violinist who had recently died:

But other than that, she stayed out of the spotlight.

What else can Axl offer as a performer that won't kill our memories of him in his younger days?

Okay, Grace Slick should speak for herself especially after her horrible and insulting performance she did in Germany!

Most of the concerts I've been recently, some of the band members are over 50 and some over 60 and they can still kick ass! I just saw Van Halen last week and Eddie can play guitar like when he was 20! Also last night I saw the Scorpions and these guys are about 65 and they played like it was the 80's again. Klaus Meine has more energy than some 20 year olds and the guitar players Rudy and Mathis can still shred like nobody. Not missing a beat.

I think if you feel good and you still have fans, like Axl and GNR and many many bands from the 50's, 60's, 70's 80's, 90's and the present, then you should still perform and still make music.

Grace Slick was fucked up from the beginning of her career and had some major health issues, so she needed to retire.

Imagine if alot of the bands that you like that stopped singing and performing at 50? That would be more than half the rock bands out there today.

to quote Jethro Tull "You're never to old to Rock and Roll if you're too young to die" And since no one really wants to die, I say rock until you drop! I know I do and I will continue to do so! And I'm over 50!