Should Axl Rose retire?

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Should Axl Rose retire?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Grace Slick - "All rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire."

Axl Rose turned 50 this year.

Grace herself retired in 1990 at age 50. She came out of retirement for special occasions, like this 1995 performance in tribute to Jefferson Airplane's violinist who had recently died:

But other than that, she stayed out of the spotlight.

What else can Axl offer as a performer that won't kill our memories of him in his younger days?

I think people who don't want to see hear Axl's music or see him perform should try and ancient Chinese trick called "Not going to his shows or buying his albums."

Unfortunately some people subscribe to the American youth fad of "Bitching about it."

I can see where she's coming from. Personally, I think it looks silly for anyone over 40 to be up on a stage, acting like a 25 year old rebel. Rebellion comes in all kinds of flavors and anyone can be a rebel at any age. I think William S. Burroughs is a GREAT example of this. But rebellion via rock n' roll? That's an under 40 thing. And if I wanted to be really picky, I could stretch that to 35 and under.

That's just my opinion though. If Axl or anyone else wants to keep at it, it's their choice.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Honestly, yes. He sucks live these days, I doubt he'll ever release music again, his latest album sucked and his new band is a standing laughing stock. Now when we definitely for sure know that there wont ever be a chance for a reunion, after HOF, I don't want him to embarrass himself and tarnish the little legacy he has left even more.

I expect him to go on a few more cash and grab tours until he's 55 and then retire however.

Honestly, yes. He sucks live these days, I doubt he'll ever release music again, his latest album sucked and his new band is a standing laughing stock. Now when we definitely for sure know that there wont ever be a chance for a reunion, after HOF, I don't want him to embarrass himself and tarnish the little legacy he has left even more.

I expect him to go on a few more cash and grab tours until he's 55 and then retire however.

Good point here - how long until "The Farewell Tour"?

Why would he?

In my honest opinion, he's still one of the greatest frontmen in music. He's personally my favourite, by a long way. He can still sing extremely well, and he puts on 3 hour shows during relentless touring. That's a fucking epic effort tbh.

Yes, conditionally - if he plans to just continue dragging this same tour around the world over and over, he should just pack it in. If he actually plans to release new music in this lifetime, no.

+1

No. He cannot sing extremely well any more.

Some degree of truth to that. The magic to his voice is still intact to some extent, enough where he can still provide entertainment for the time being. But it seems to be on a downward slope, and time is not on Axl's side anymore sadly...

• Like 1

Guest Broskirose

Axl should release the CD sessions untainted by Smashba. After that he can retire for all I care. Does anyone honestly give a shit about a Motley Crue sounding album with Smashba hogging lead guitar and making a fool out of himself? lol, I'm sure he'd take out half the booklet to promote AshbaSWAG.

Ditch this loser Axl. Please.

The fact that this clown could be on the road in a portable studio RAPING Finck's solos as we speak just makes my skin crawl. I am so beyond done with him.

Edited by Broskirose

Grace thinks rock singers singing about things relevant to a teenager or in their early 20s in their 50s and 60s is just weird, but it's easy to speak from a position where you have a back catalog and publishing that gets licensed, as well as expensive artwork that prob. makes her as much money as touring would.

Tina Turner can still pull off a good show in her 60s and 70s. Beyonce couldn't keep up. Springsteen's 62 and he's got the energy of a man half his age at the shows. The question's been answered about being "too old to rock and roll", and it comes down to A: being able to still entertain, B: having the audience supporting you, and C: Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard still perform.

I think people who don't want to see hear Axl's music or see him perform should try and ancient Chinese trick called "Not going to his shows or buying his albums."

Unfortunately some people subscribe to the American youth fad of "Bitching about it."

QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

Don't you hate that people that constantly complain and whine about what other people post?

If you run across one of those slackjawed piss-ants, do me a favor and direct them to htgth. That is a GnR fansite, specifically designed for fan boys and girls who just want to worship the mighty Axl and current band.

This is an actual forum for adults to have open discussions about Axl and the band. A place for people who aren't afraid to have discussions with people who have a different view point than they do.

Thanks!

As for the topic. No. Axl still has a lot left to offer.

The way he still dresses is pretty silly. But be still has a great voice.

I would like to see him stop touring and spend a year dedicated to his fans though. Realize that he still has millions of fans that love his singing, and hording songs and not putting out new music really does suck for his fans. Putting out part 2 of CD, all the unreleased songs, and an album created by the new band would be the best thing for the fans that he has done since releasing the Illusions.

Edited by Groghan

Don't you hate that people that constantly complaine and whine about what other people post?

If you run across one of those slackjawed piss-ants, do me a favor and direct them to htgth. That is a GnR fansite, specifically designed for fan boys and girls who just want to worship the mighty Axl and current band.

This is an actual forum for adults to have open discussions about Axl and the band. A place for people who aren't afraid to have discussions with people who have a different view point than they do.

Thanks!

Soooo...was that a yes or no to the retirement question? Do you think that people that despise Axl enough to wish that he would retire, should post on a fan site dedicated to him? Is a constant bashing of him and even more constant bashing of people who like what he's doing really conducive to worthwhile conversation?

What are your views?

Edited by Damn_Smooth

Don't you hate that people that constantly complain and whine about what other people post?

Thanks!

You do realize you coming here to bitch about a band you hate is like going to a pet expo just to step on a soap box and exclaim "I hate all exotic pets, snakes are stupid pets!" then walking around the show floor and engaging people "That bearded dragon you are looking at is stupid. Dogs and cats are the only way to go." Many people will simply marvel at the fact that you are at a trade show simply to bitch about it, but a select few will explain to you that you are a fucking idiot. You need to be prepared for that.

You need to understand that while you are entitled to your opinion, nobody at the trade show give two shakes of a fat frogs ass about your opinion of reptiles and quite frankly they would like you to shut the fuck up already so they can hear what this dude is saying about the Burmese Python he's selling.

One day when you get older, you will be embarrassed about what you are doing here.

What else can Axl offer as a performer that won't kill our memories of him in his younger days?

Why would your memories of him in his younger days be killed by how he performs today? That is just retarded. Your mind must be very weak if you cant separate the various layers of history from each other but merges them together into a confusing mass.

What you could be saying, though, is that his overall recognition is affected by what he does today, but fortunately he is still a great performer so that point is sort of moot, too. Axl will go down in history as one of those legendary frontmen who were able to give great shows even as he got "old". Here is a list of frontmen who should just retire, though: http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3588877

No, Axl shouldn't retire, but he should take a small break. Maybe six months, rest a little. After that break, do a couple of things: finish a new album and release it, and actually promote it this time. Do interviews, perform on those late shows, etc. Finally, and regardless of sales, he should go back to touring again in support of this album.

He could have done this after 2010, and right now the 2012 tour would be to support a new album. Instead, he just kept on touring. IF he actually plans to release something new and reasonably successful, time is running out for him.