meh, Estranged is the best thing they ever did..

SunnyDRE

For me, Civil War is GnR's strongest song.

And I think it is THE song that shows the growth of GnR as a band.

Appetite is all about love and partying and drugs and relationships......then BAM, listen to Civil War.

Also musically, I can't speak of the technical aspect as I'm not a musician, but I think Civil War also showed the growth these guys made as musicians in terms of writing songs.

Think of the hit songs off of Appetite. Jungle has the killer opening and Axl scream. SCOM starts off with the iconic guitar part. Even Paradise City has the catchy chorus part. But Civil War is a complete song. It isn't about a catchy riff or a fancy opening. It isn't about trying to get a riff or chorus to stick in your head. It is a song - from start to finish.

To me, Civil War is the song that moved GnR from being an LA party dirty rock n roll band to a band that was being called "the next rolling stones or areosmith." The song that let people know that they were a band that could write songs that had substance. That all their songs were NOT just going to be about jungles and paradise cities, not about the love of the singer's life, and not about band members doing drugs (Brownstone) or drinking booze (nightrain).

In my opinion, Civil War is the greatest GnR song of all time.

thumbsup.gif After a long time, I completely agree with you Groghan. CW is the greatest.