Is it possible to not be religious but not be atheist?

arnold layne

exactly.... and also it was just a joke :P

Ah, but for the Catholics the who bread and wine thing isn't just symbolic, they believe they are eating the ACTUAL body and blood of Christ to it's kinda minging if you think about it! :(

Ah, but for the Catholics the who bread and wine thing isn't just symbolic, they believe they are eating the ACTUAL body and blood of Christ to it's kinda minging if you think about it! :(

For me (and as far as I know), it's just symbolic. <_<

Roman Catholic and Orthodox

Orthodox and Catholics believe that in the Eucharist the bread and wine are objectively transformed and become in a real sense the Body and Blood of Christ; and that after consecration they are no longer bread and wine: the consecrated elements retain the appearance and attributes of bread and wine but really are the body and blood of Christ.

They speak of the bread and wine "becoming" the body and blood of Christ, while Protestant traditions speak of the bread and wine "being" the body and blood of Christ.

The words of the Ethiopic liturgy are representative of the faith of Oriental Orthodoxy: "I believe, I believe, I believe and profess to the last breath that this is the body and the blood of our Lord God and Saviour Jesus Christ, which he took from our Lady, the holy and immaculate Virgin Mary, the Mother of God."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Presence#Roman_Catholic_and_Orthodox_views

:shrugs:

Orthodox and Catholics believe that in the Eucharist the bread and wine are objectively transformed and become in a real sense the Body and Blood of Christ; and that after consecration they are no longer bread and wine: the consecrated elements retain the appearance and attributes of bread and wine but really are the body and blood of Christ.

They speak of the bread and wine "becoming" the body and blood of Christ, while Protestant traditions speak of the bread and wine "being" the body and blood of Christ.

The words of the Ethiopic liturgy are representative of the faith of Oriental Orthodoxy: "I believe, I believe, I believe and profess to the last breath that this is the body and the blood of our Lord God and Saviour Jesus Christ, which he took from our Lady, the holy and immaculate Virgin Mary, the Mother of God."

Process of transubstantiation!

Process of transubstantiation!

Yes, well...I don't care what Wikipedia says and I know what transubstantiation is but it doesn't mean what you think. :shrugs:

Eucharist is such a deep subject, with so many layers of meaning (and requires very very careful wording) that it is really unfair to grab a few paragraphs from wikipedia and say, "There it is!" But yeah, for Catholics it certainly isn't symbolic, there is indeed a Real Presence, but it's also not cannibalistic either. Would you have considered the first Eucharist (the Last Supper at the Passover Seder) to be cannibalism? Certainly not.

Would you have considered the first Eucharist (the Last Supper at the Passover Seder) to be cannibalism? Certainly not.

Well if they were eating bits of each other and wotnot then yeah I would! :)

Would you have considered the first Eucharist (the Last Supper at the Passover Seder) to be cannibalism? Certainly not.

Well if they were eating bits of each other and wotnot then yeah I would! :)

But they weren't. They were eating unleavened bread and drinking wine, just like a Jew would at a Seder today, but Jesus changed a bit of the Seder, making himself the Paschal lamb. But he didn't break off fingers and toes and pass it around saying, "Eat it," and he didn't puncture a vein or something, pouring blood into a cup saying "Drink it." Not cannibalism.

(In fact it's a bit easier to believe that the host is Jesus' body than it is to believe it's a piece of bread :lol:)

But he didn't break off fingers and toes and pass it around saying, "Eat it," and he didn't puncture a vein or something, pouring blood into a cup saying "Drink it."

Hahahaha! That would have been fucking mint! :lol:

Here, imagine that's Jesus in a frock and a wig!

Edited by Dazey

But he didn't break off fingers and toes and pass it around saying, "Eat it," and he didn't puncture a vein or something, pouring blood into a cup saying "Drink it."

Hahahaha! That would have been fucking mint! :lol:

Here, imagine that's Jesus in a frock and a wig!

I think I'm gonna be sick :vomit::scared:

exactly.... and also it was just a joke :P

yeah I know that's why I thought about it :P but it was more of a joke then being serious but it makes a good point :)