Double Talkin' Jive: Rio '91 vs. Argentina '93

Vincent Vega

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which version of Double Talkin' Jive do you prefer--

The Rock in Rio 1991 version with the longer, crazier solo and Axl's monologue over that solo:

"And when the poor come down from the streets

The death squads come out to meet

Everybody's lookin' for a piece of the pie

I look outside my window n' see your countryside

And when the poor come down from the hills

At night

And the government and the merchant sends the death squads out

To remove the beggars

Keep 'em out of the way of the rich

Keep the slums from comin' down into the city--

You gotta watch your ass homeboy."

Or the Argentina '93 version with Axl introducing the song with "This is for all you kiddies out there, in cocaineland!", which then segues into a nearly 4 and a half minute long intro/solo/guitar battle between Slash and Gilby, which is badass by itself and has a tiny slice of the Train Kept a Rollin' Riff"thrown in, along with a longer, rawer, wilder solo in the song and breakdown between Gilby and Slash in the middle, with the ending having Slash's Spanish style outro but with Duff's fucking awesome dirty bass and Matt's drums complimenting it. It makes Slash's Spanish ending last longer too, 3 minutes. The song clocks at 11 minutes with this awesome jam in the beginning and middle and it turns the song into one of the most aggressive songs GN'R ever did IMO. It's not a mindless noodle of a jam, it's got fucking intent and sounds awesome.

Also, do you prefer the song as it is on the album with Izzy N' Axl on vox, or as it was played live, with just Axl on vox?

Personally I think the Argentina '93 version is much much better than the album version and Axl's voice makes the song more aggressive somehow. I think Izzy's laid back vocals take a tiny bit of the potential menace out of the song. His voice works perfect for other, more sleazy songs like Dust N' Bones or Pretty Tied Up but not so much for an aggressive song like Double Talkin' Jive.

The ultimate version of Double Talkin' Jive would've been the Argentina '93 version mixed with Axl's Rio '91 speech and his Argentina '93 intro and the rawer feel of the Argentina '93 guitars. That would've sounded FUCKING AWESOME on the record.

Axl's monologue in the Rio '91 version reminds me of something Jim Morrison would've done somehow, like a monologue giving sort of further imagery to the song or like Mick Jagger rapping over the song Too Much Blood with his tale of murder.

Edited by Vincent Vega

• 2 years later...

I can't get enough of both Rio 1991 versions (1st and 2nd nights)

Axl talking over the song, Izzy singing the verses with him...

In Rio 1991 they still are not 100% rehearsed (the song was never performed live before and UYI hadn't even been released) so they make a few mistakes here and there (on both nights)

still, it sounds fuckin great