The tracii line up shows

Bobbo

You have to remember that Slash and Adler were in New Hollywood Rose before Guns N' Roses were formed. New Hollywood Rose were performing songs such as Shadow of Your Love, Reckless (early Reckless Life), Anything Goes, Back off Bitch, Nice Boys and Hair of the Dog. Marc's book has a setlist on page. 49. There is an interesting anecdote in Marc's book (p. 55) from the time Axl was in LA Guns; Axl apparently called Slash asking him to teach Traciii the new guitar parts to Back Off Bitch. Slash refused. Tracii and Slash were rivals. I might be wrong but I think this was also the period when Axl and Slash were feuding (something to do with Axl shagging Slash's girlfriend).

Has anyone, Marc, Guns geeks, got any insight into this puzzle regarding the departure of Tracii and Rob Gardner. Did both Tracii Guns and Robert Gardner ditch ship, before the arrival of Slash, or was there a brief period when Slash was working with Gardner? Duff and Slash's books contradict each other here.

Or to rephrase the question, did Slash and Adler join together at those rehearsals in early June 1985 or did Slash join first (perhaps a day or two earlier as we are told, they only rehearsed for about three days before playing the Troubadour)?

According to Duff's autobiography (p.61), Gardner and Tracii left - or at least got a serious case of cold feet - about ten days before they were due to depart for the Hell Tour on 8th June 1985. Rob actually left first: ''first Rob and then Tracii backed out.''. Then Duff dragged Axl to see Black Sheep (31st May). Then Slash and Steven joined two-three days before the Troubadour gig (June 6) at a rehearsal space in Silverlake.

Slash's autobiography (p.98) however states that Gardner was present, with himself, at the earliest Silverlake rehearsals: ''Duff, Izzy, Axl, Rob Gardner, and myself''. The way Slash describes events, it is as if the Hell Tour was suddenlty raised at these rehearsals and Gardner quit on the spot.

Steven's autobiography merely says that Slash rung him up and asked him along.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I was not at the first rehearsal but if Slash said Rob was there then he was. The first time I saw GNR was at the 6/6/85 gig and it was the AFD line up. Slash's last gig with Blacksheep was 5/31/85. So in less than a week it all went down with Rob and Tracii.

Edited by recklessroad

Yes, it all happened so fast. If Rob was there for a time it must just be a question of a day or something. It is just weird how the two accounts differ. If Duff is wrong, he has Rob vacating the scene before the Black Sheep gig. If Slash is wrong, he has himself playing with Rob in Guns N' Roses for a brief period. Doesn't add up!

The Appetite line-up got together about three days before the Troubador show which was June 6. So I am thinking, Slash and Steven joined on - or thereabouts - 3rd June.