What does GnR mean to you?

TombRaider

Regardless of whether you're a fan of the new lineup or whether you dream of the original band getting back together, what does GnR mean to you? Is it just a band? In my case, yes. As of right now, they're just another band I listen to. But back in the early 90's, they were more than that.

As I've said before, GnR is the band that got me into rock, my gateway band, the band that opened up my world of music. Before GnR, I don't think I'd ever even considered being a fan of any band out there. I didn't even have a decent taste in music. I was just into whatever was played on the radio at the time.

But it also helped me define who I was at the time. I may be wrong, but when you're a teen, you need to belong to a certain group. Maybe you're into sports or into chess, I don't care what it is, but you need a group to belong to. And when I started to listen to GnR, I became that guy that's into rock and metal.

Now I laugh about it, but it was a big deal back then. I'd only wear black and I'd hang out with the cool kids that were also into metal and rock.

I guess it was the same for a lot of fans. I may be wrong though.

Now that I'm older, I no longer need music or anything really to define who I am. So to me GnR is just another band I listen to. Good memories though.

Regardless of whether you're a fan of the new lineup or whether you dream of the original band getting back together, what does GnR mean to you? Is it just a band? In my case, yes. As of right now, they're just another band I listen to. But back in the early 90's, they were more than that.

As I've said before, GnR is the band that got me into rock, my gateway band, the band that opened up my world of music. Before GnR, I don't think I'd ever even considered being a fan of any band out there. I didn't even have a decent taste in music. I was just into whatever was played on the radio at the time.

But it also helped me define who I was at the time. I may be wrong, but when you're a teen, you need to belong to a certain group. Maybe you're into sports or into chess, I don't care what it is, but you need a group to belong to. And when I started to listen to GnR, I became that guy that's into rock and metal.

Now I laugh about it, but it was a big deal back then. I'd only wear black and I'd hang out with the cool kids that were also into metal and rock.

I guess it was the same for a lot of fans. I may be wrong though.

Now that I'm older, I no longer need music or anything really to define who I am. So to me GnR is just another band I listen to. Good memories though.

Great Post !

For me when Axl and company hit the scene it became a defining moment in the type of music I wanted to write and perform. I had been singing in cover bands since 84 and the scene was enough to put me through college and produce some of the best times in my life. But when GNR hit ..it took that intensity and authenticity to a whole new level. I related to Axl and his small town confinement and his overtly religious upbringing..his howl of defiance and pain cut through me like a razor. I was still in high school '86 when I joined my bandmates for the summer , who had moved to Hollywood to go to MIT. When I saw WTTJ's opening scene that was like I was rolling in from Wyoming.....completely overwhelmed by the fucken underbelly of Hollywood. I saw Axl going into a club long before I knew who he was. He looked like a chick in 86.

What took me over the top with GNR actually didnt happen until 88. I had moved to Tucson. I had left behind a beautiful blond haired blue eyed girl who loved me so much.I missed her so much and thought about her all the time. I was on the way back from Nogalas Mexico with a trunk full of tequila when the summer monsoon rain hit. It was lightening and raining so hard that I had to pull over and ride the storm out. I was listening to the radio when the DJ announced he would be playing GNR and played SCOM... and that song was to me a song about her. After the rain passed i went to the local K mart and bought AFD . I then went home and packed all my stuff and headed north to Wyoming. I played that tape so many times that it burned out and I had to buy another one . When I got back to her...I sang it to her. To this day it is her song. Two summers ago after 24 years apart my band played again for our HS reunion and I shook the rafters singing that song to her. I couldnt quite get passed the "and if I stare too long Id probably break down and cry part. Like you, it was a snapshot of the era and a time in life that defined the times.

in the 80s,GNR was an attitude, a way of life.

AFD is the spirit of that realness only a certain few artists convey well.

they were fucking heroes when they broke in 88.

I was 14 and hooked.

I remember those days fondly and once you've known the real GNR

no substitute will do.

it's hard to accept fake when you have known real.

today I play the old records a lot,some chinese,but mostly other bands.

GNR died when Izzy left.yeah,yeah....but it's true.

honestly? nothing. this band died in 1993 and all i can have is a bunch of good songs and some nice videos. but the people who created and made that band special are so different that it feels like they were replaced by older, more stupid look-alikes.

GnR is the band that got me into rock, my gateway band, the band that opened up my world of music. Before GnR, I don't think I'd ever even considered being a fan of any band out there. I didn't even have a decent taste in music. I was just into whatever was played on the radio at the time.

But it also helped me define who I was at the time. I may be wrong, but when you're a teen, you need to belong to a certain group. Maybe you're into sports or into chess, I don't care what it is, but you need a group to belong to. And when I started to listen to GnR, I became that guy that's into rock and metal

Same here dude.

But GNR still means a lot to me (more than I care to admit, actually) :lol:

The music means a lot. The band, or any band, doesn't mean that much. Like Len said so eloquently somewhere else "silly boys with guitars".

The band story is a story, I like stories once in a while as a break from my day. But the music is the thing, and I love that.

The music means a lot. The band, or any band, doesn't mean that much. Like Len said so eloquently somewhere else "silly boys with guitars".

The band story is a story, I like stories once in a while as a break from my day. But the music is the thing, and I love that.

Well said. It's exactly how I feel.

There are days at times that I can't get through without the music.

The music means a lot. The band, or any band, doesn't mean that much. Like Len said so eloquently somewhere else "silly boys with guitars".The band story is a story, I like stories once in a while as a break from my day. But the music is the thing, and I love that.

Well said. It's exactly how I feel.There are days at times that I can't get through without the music.

I also agree with Orsys.